K2 Loss of functions on 20M & 17M bands

Ray G3XLG
Hi Elecrafters

The K2  (# 4099) has the 100W amplifier and external tuner. It appears to
behave normally in all modes on all bands except 20M & 17M.

The K2 has lost all receive sensitivity on both the 20M & 17M bands (no
signals can be heard).

In addition, it will not transmit on these two bands and has a very high SWR
into a 50ohm dummy load on these bands.

Bypassing the external tuner does not improve the situation even when
feeding into the dummy load, so I assume the problem is within the K2 rather
than the external tuner.

I am not sure if these symptoms point to a problem(s) in either the
band-pass and low-pass filters?

Any ideas of what I should be checking please?

Cheers

Ray G3XLG

Ray G3XLG

Re: K2 Loss of functions on 20M & 17M bands

Don Wilhelm-4
Ray,

That sounds like you have a problem with the 20/17 meter Low Pass filter
in the KPA100.
Relays K7 or K8,  soldering of L7 or L8, or C4 A, B, C, D or E capacitors.
Yes, poorly soldered connections can take several years to develop
enough oxidation to create a loss of connection.

To check which of the involved components is the culprit, the easy thing
to do is to simply re-flow the soldering using a hot (800 degF)
soldering iron.
If that does not cure the problem, then you would want to check the
relays for continuity.  Power only the base K2, set to 20 or 17 meters
and see if you have continuity between TP2 and the center conductor of
the SO-239 jack.
If no continuity, check continuity across relays K7 and K8 to see if one
of those is the problem.  By powering only the base K2, you can select
the band and probe the underside of the KPA100 board.  The KPA100 relays
are not latching types, so you need to have the base K2 powered on.

On 5/16/2012 8:12 AM, Ray Spreadbury wrote:

> Hi Elecrafters
>

> The K2  (# 4099) has the 100W amplifier and external tuner. It appears to
> behave normally in all modes on all bands except 20M&  17M.
>

> The K2 has lost all receive sensitivity on both the 20M&  17M bands (no
> signals can be heard).
>

> In addition, it will not transmit on these two bands and has a very high SWR
> into a 50ohm dummy load on these bands.
>

> Bypassing the external tuner does not improve the situation even when
> feeding into the dummy load, so I assume the problem is within the K2 rather
> than the external tuner.
>

> I am not sure if these symptoms point to a problem(s) in either the
> band-pass and low-pass filters?
>

> Any ideas of what I should be checking please?
>

> Cheers
>
> Ray G3XLG

Slow Speed CW With My K3

Joel Black-2
It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only to pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some sloooooow speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am still having issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but especially L and F.

I've done web searches and found a few nets listed, but when I go there after confirming date / time, I cannot find anyone (I'm just listening right now).  Is there a slow-speed CW net anyone knows of I can listen to from Alabama?  I'm thinking on 40 or 80m because I'm home most evenings.

I'll also say, copying on air is a *heap* different from copying via software and the web...  LOL...  I had forgotten that.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

KD0Q
Hi Joel,

W1AW code pratice transmissions might be an idea.  They are on a number of
frequencies, times and days.  Details are at
http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-operating-schedule.

73 & Good Luck!
Glenn/KD0Q

> It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only to
> pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some sloooooow
> speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am still having
> issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but especially L and F.
>
> I've done web searches and found a few nets listed, but when I go there
> after confirming date / time, I cannot find anyone (I'm just listening
> right now).  Is there a slow-speed CW net anyone knows of I can listen to
> from Alabama?  I'm thinking on 40 or 80m because I'm home most evenings.
>
> I'll also say, copying on air is a *heap* different from copying via
> software and the web...  LOL...  I had forgotten that.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Phil Hystad-3
I second the idea of listening to the ARRL code practice sessions.  I will listen to those on my mobile rig if it is otherwise a slow news-talk-radio day.  They usually send from QST articles.  I remember one time I was actually getting interested in the content of the article and then they stopped -- end of the practice session.

I also highly recommend listening to the contests on CW.  Even though they go pretty fast at usually 30 wpm or more it is very good practice to pick up a few good skills.  For example, picking out call signs at high speed is useful.  I think I improved my speed capability quite a bit by doing that.

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 16, 2012, at 7:15 AM, KD0Q-Glenn wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> W1AW code pratice transmissions might be an idea.  They are on a number of
> frequencies, times and days.  Details are at
> http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-operating-schedule.
>
> 73 & Good Luck!
> Glenn/KD0Q

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Wayne Conrad
Joel,

You might try the SKCC (Straight Key Century Club) scheduling page at:

     http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=skcc

Just show up, log yourself in (you don't have to be a member), and
announce that you'd like some code practice.  Any SKCC member would be
delighted to help with on-the-air code practice.

Also, You might try sending out a slow CQ on 7122.  Elmers who enjoy
helping people practice CW often hang out there.

73, Wayne Conrad KF7QGA

On 05/16/2012 06:57 AM, Joel Black wrote:
> I am very interested in working some sloooooow speed CW...

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Richard-3
ARRL also has code practice MP3 sessions you can download to any MP3
player (like iPOD, but there are cheap MP3 players out there) and play
when you have time.

Rich
NU6T

On 5/16/2012 7:15 AM, KD0Q-Glenn wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> W1AW code pratice transmissions might be an idea.  They are on a number of
> frequencies, times and days.  Details are at
> http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-operating-schedule.
>
> 73&  Good Luck!
> Glenn/KD0Q

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Carey Magee (K2RNY)
Hi Joel:

The NAQCC (North American QRP CW Club) runs a bunch of QRS nets.  Here is a link to their website and schedules for these nets. http://naqcc.info/cw_nets.html

I had problems with 'L' and 'F' too.  I just remembered the sound.  di-di-dah-dit, F.  Went over it a bazillion times in my head, over and over again.  It finally stuck.

Good luck with the code.  It is great.

73,
Carey

Mr. Carey Magee, K2RNY
Rochester, NY
http://www.qrz.com/db/k2rny
==================================

----- "Joel Black" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only
> to pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some
> sloooooow speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am
> still having issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but
> especially L and F.
>
> I've done web searches and found a few nets listed, but when I go
> there after confirming date / time, I cannot find anyone (I'm just
> listening right now).  Is there a slow-speed CW net anyone knows of I
> can listen to from Alabama?  I'm thinking on 40 or 80m because I'm
> home most evenings.
>
> I'll also say, copying on air is a *heap* different from copying via
> software and the web...  LOL...  I had forgotten that.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Arthur Burke
You might also Google FISTS frequencies - a lot of the other FISTS members
I hear on the air are not very fast. The group is pretty big about support
("elmering") for those who aren't very fast and want to be faster.

Also keep in mind, if you hear FISTS members going faster than you can
copy, the great majority (if not all) of the members should be more than
willing to slow down for you.

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Joel Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only to
> pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some sloooooow
> speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am still having
> issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but especially L and F.
>
> I've done web searches and found a few nets listed, but when I go there
> after confirming date / time, I cannot find anyone (I'm just listening
> right now).  Is there a slow-speed CW net anyone knows of I can listen to
> from Alabama?  I'm thinking on 40 or 80m because I'm home most evenings.
>
> I'll also say, copying on air is a *heap* different from copying via
> software and the web...  LOL...  I had forgotten that.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Rick Prather-2
Or as my ex-Marine WWII radio op father taught me.  "He's a Sly Fox"

Rick
K6LE

On 5/16/2012, at 8:25 , "Carey Magee (K2RNY)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Joel:
>

> I had problems with 'L' and 'F' too.  I just remembered the sound.  di-di-dah-dit, F.  Went over it a bazillion times in my head, over and over again.  It finally stuck.

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Bill Clarke
May I suggest my CW oriented website:  www.radiotelegraphy.net

And, from that I suggest  http://justlearnmorsecode.com/

Just Learn Morse Code is free and it works if you put the effort into
it. An excellent program.

Bill W2BLC

--
IN GOD I TRUST (but, NOT a single politician)

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Richard S. Leary
Joel;
As Carey stated, NAQCC, and W1AW are good places to check out. Then listen to the "rhythm". I believe thats very important. As taught to me back in the 50's at USAF radio school, "F" is di di dah dit or "Get a haircut", "J" was "the damnd ol jay" di dah dah dah, and "Q" was "pay day today". Just sound it out with rhythm and it sorta works. Been doing CW for over 57 years, and I guess I've heard it all, good, bad, and otherwise, though my sending could use some improvement.
I wish you all the best in your endeavours. You won't regret it one bit. There are folks out there that will not mind at all to slow down to your speed. Our basic "orders" (USAF) and rule of thumb was to "Always send at the speed of the slowest operator on the net. Just plain courtesy.

Take care and see you on the air one of these days.

73,
Rick, W7LKG

I had problems with 'L' and 'F' too.  I just remembered the sound.  di-di-dah-dit, F.  Went over it a bazillion times in my head, over and over again.  It finally stuck.

Good luck with the code.  It is great.

73,
Carey

Mr. Carey Magee, K2RNY
Rochester, NY
http://www.qrz.com/db/k2rny
==================================

----- "Joel Black" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only
> to pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some
> sloooooow speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am
> still having issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but
> especially L and F.
>
> I've done web searches and found a few nets listed, but when I go
> there after confirming date / time, I cannot find anyone (I'm just
> listening right now).  Is there a slow-speed CW net anyone knows of I
> can listen to from Alabama?  I'm thinking on 40 or 80m because I'm
> home most evenings.
>
> I'll also say, copying on air is a *heap* different from copying via
> software and the web...  LOL...  I had forgotten that.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

n0tt1
Hi Joel,

You might try the
"The Missouri SLOW-speed CW training & FUN weekly net".

http://www.w0aki.com/education.html

73,
Charlie, N0TT

>It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only to
pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some sloooooow
speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am still having
issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but especially L and F......

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

daleputnam

IF you want to call in on the RMR net at 2pm MT every Tues and Thurs... at 14.0625, the net control will match your speed... it is a slow speed net, intended to make it easy for folks to get on, and learn cw.

--...   ...--
Dale - WC7S in Wy
 > To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

> Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:12:06 +0000
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Slow Speed CW With My K3
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> You might try the
> "The Missouri SLOW-speed CW training & FUN weekly net".
>
> http://www.w0aki.com/education.html
>
> 73,
> Charlie, N0TT
>
> >It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only to
> pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some sloooooow
> speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am still having
> issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but especially L and F......

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Joel Black-2
Thanks for all the resources.  For whatever reason, I never thought of
the ARRL code practice.  It just slipped my mind.  Nice to have the
other sites too.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

>> It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only
>> to pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some
>> sloooooow speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am
>> still having issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but
>> especially L and F.
>>
>> I've done web searches and found a few nets listed, but when I go
>> there after confirming date / time, I cannot find anyone (I'm just
>> listening right now).  Is there a slow-speed CW net anyone knows of I
>> can listen to from Alabama?  I'm thinking on 40 or 80m because I'm
>> home most evenings.
>>
>> I'll also say, copying on air is a *heap* different from copying via
>> software and the web...  LOL...  I had forgotten that.
>>
>> 73,
>> Joel - W4JBB
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Gary K9GS
Hello Joel,

You should check out the CW Ops Club CW Academy.  Here's a link:

http://www.cwops.org/cwacademy.html

On 5/16/2012 8:57 AM, Joel Black wrote:

> It's been around 15 years since I worked any CW and then it was only to pass the General exam.  I am very interested in working some sloooooow speed CW.  I can copy reliably up to about 8 - 9 WPM.  I am still having issues with L, F, Y, and a couple of others but especially L and F.
>
> I've done web searches and found a few nets listed, but when I go there after confirming date / time, I cannot find anyone (I'm just listening right now).  Is there a slow-speed CW net anyone knows of I can listen to from Alabama?  I'm thinking on 40 or 80m because I'm home most evenings.
>
> I'll also say, copying on air is a *heap* different from copying via software and the web...  LOL...  I had forgotten that.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Let's wrap-up this OT thread as soon as possible, due to the large number of posts.

73,
Eric
list Modeatorq
www.elecraft.com
_..._

On May 16, 2012, at 8:00 PM, Gary K9GS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Joel,
> You should check out the CW Ops Club CW Academy.  Here's a link:
> http://www.cwops.org/cwacademy.html

Re: Slow Speed CW With My K3

valvetbone@netzero.com
Test message

Re: K2 Loss of functions on 20M & 17M bands

Ray G3XLG
Hi Elecrafters
Just a quick thank you to Don & others who successfully diagnosed my problem was in the 20/17M low pass filter in the KPA100.
As suggested, I re-flowed the connections with a bit of flux for relays K7, K8, coils L7, L8 & condensers C4A,B,C,D & E & this brought back the K2 to normal performance on 20 & 17. It was a dry or corroded joint.
thanks again
Ray, G3XLG
Ray G3XLG