[K2] N1MM Logger with KPA100

K1FFX
N1MM can not establish connection with K2/100.  My PC has a real hardware COM port.  I ran the Hyperterminal validation procedure on page 61 of the KPA100 manual.  Test 1 successfully transmitted a frequency string from the K2 to Hyperterminal.  However, test 2 fails; the K2 is not responding to commands (like SW01; as suggested in the KPA100 manual).  I tried both 1 and 2 stop bits.

- Bruce K1FFX
Bruce Rosen
K1FFX
K2/100 6982 KSB2 KAT100-1 KAF2 KIO2

Re: [K2] N1MM Logger with KPA100

K1FFX
Followup with some additional info: I inserted a breakout box (yes ... I still have one!) to verify that my cable is OK ... and it is.  The PC's TXD signal (pin 2) is showing up on the K2 end of the cable.  One other piece of info: the cable is actually a Y-cable ... I built the KAT100 this past March and it is on-line.

Thanks -

Bruce K1FFX
Bruce Rosen
K1FFX
K2/100 6982 KSB2 KAT100-1 KAF2 KIO2

Re: [K2] N1MM Logger with KPA100

Don Wilhelm-4
Bruce,

The KAT100 cable does not use the RXD, TXD and Signal Ground RS-232
signal lines, so unless your cable has a fault (a short between
conductors at the K2 end) the KAT100 connection is not to blame.

Both the TXD and RXD signals are used when attempting the Hyperterminal
Test 1, so I would figure that the KPA100 RS-232 communications is working.

Make certain that the COM port is set to 4800 baud.  Try another
computer if possible.

On 7/13/2013 7:28 PM, K1FFX wrote:

> Followup with some additional info: I inserted a breakout box (yes ... I
> still have one!) to verify that my cable is OK ... and it is.  The PC's TXD
> signal (pin 2) is showing up on the K2 end of the cable.  One other piece of
> info: the cable is actually a Y-cable ... I built the KAT100 this past March
> and it is on-line.
>
> Thanks -
>
> Bruce K1FFX
>

> -----
> Bruce Rosen
> K1FFX
> K2/100 6982 KSB2 KAT100-1

Re: [K2] N1MM Logger with KPA100

K1FFX
Thanks, Don.  I went and tried it with my previous PC and it worked fine.  So, I went back to the
KPA100 manual to look at how the pinouts were specified.  The manual recommended looping CTS to
RTS on the PC side, which I did when I first built the KPA100 and it worked fine with the PC that was current at that time.  But not with new PC!  I pulled the jumper out and it now works fine with N1MM logger on the new PC.

So, KPA100 serial cable builders ... keep an eye out for this one ... that jumper may disable K2 to PC communications.

Thanks again, Don.

- Bruce K1FFX
Bruce Rosen
K1FFX
K2/100 6982 KSB2 KAT100-1 KAF2 KIO2

Re: [K2] N1MM Logger with KPA100

Don Wilhelm-4
Bruce,

Given that information, you may have been able to correct it by altering
the port 'handshaking' settings in your computer.
But you have fixed it, so go with it.
I did not know that the handshaking loopback would cause a failure,
thanks for that information.