K2 NB LEVEL question

Stan AE7UT
I have a new to me K2 that is serial number 02255.  The person I got it from told me
it had many mods done but not sure which ones.  It has the following options, KSB2,
KNB2, KDSP2 and KIO2.

I'm just learning to use the rig and have a question regarding the NB Level function.
It seems to have 4 different modes but from my reading it should just have 2.
When I use the Level (hold) I get the usual H . tHr and Lo tHr showing but it also
shows the same thing but almost "filters" out SSB signals.  It does not seem to have
a great effect on CW.  So it has 4 different modes.

I did a short youtube of it because it seems hard to explain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n-VT79yKLU&feature=plcp

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 NB LEVEL question

Don Wilhelm-4
Stan,

There is NB1 and NB2 - which select the width of the blanking pulses.
The Thereshold is an entirely different matter it has a High and a Low
setting.  The onset of the blanking will appear greater with the Low
setting.

Remember that blanking does exactly that - it blanks "holes" in the
receive pattern, and that can cause distortion.  It is a tool to be used
when required, but not something that should be turned on continuously.

On 7/2/2012 12:36 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have a new to me K2 that is serial number 02255.  The person I got it from
> told me
> it had many mods done but not sure which ones.  It has the following
> options, KSB2,
> KNB2, KDSP2 and KIO2.
>
> I'm just learning to use the rig and have a question regarding the NB Level
> function.
> It seems to have 4 different modes but from my reading it should just have
> 2.
> When I use the Level (hold) I get the usual H . tHr and Lo tHr showing but
> it also
> shows the same thing but almost "filters" out SSB signals.  It does not seem
> to have
> a great effect on CW.  So it has 4 different modes.
>
> I did a short youtube of it because it seems hard to explain.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n-VT79yKLU&feature=plcp
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 NB LEVEL question

Stan AE7UT
Don thanks so much for the quick reply.
The 4 different "modes" seem to be the same with NB1 or NB2.
Also if I have the NB OFF.

Thanks again.
Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 NB LEVEL question

Don Wilhelm-4
Stan,

The Noise Blanker is only effective on fast rise time noise pulses -
like automotive ignition noise.  It will do nothing to reduce noises
like atmospheric noise or powerline noise.

If you want to test it, remove the antenna, turn on the preamp and tap a
screwdriver on Q22.  You will have to differentiate between the bursts
of atmospheric noise  (the screwdriver is acting as a short antenna) and
the "clicks".  The NB should kill the clicks, but will not change the
atmospheric noise.