K2 & PSK31

John Chance-Read
Thanks to every one who responded to my last request.
I note many are using K3 for PSK 31 but I've got a K2 so I guess for K2 owners this is all history
I shall stick with CW Skimmer for morse and probably DigiPan for PSK31.
I have a suitable computer
K2 owner that have used these combinations and can advise me as to any particular interface between the two would be appreciated.
Does one simply use the data mode on the K2 ?
John G4BOU

Re: K2 & PSK31

Don Wilhelm-4
John,

If you follow the advice of Jim Brown K9YC about using twisted pair
cable and bonding the computer and the K2 (see his reflector posts on
related subjects), you may not need any interface at all.  You will need
some type of attenuator between the Line out and the K2 microphone AF
input - usually 100k in series and 10k in parallel across the mic will
do nicely.  If you find that transformer isolation is needed, you can
insert a 1:1 transformer in the computer line-in and line-out lines.
Transformers salvaged from defunct computer modem cards have done a fine
job for me.
If you want to use PTT (recommended), you will need a simple one
transistor, one diode and one (or two) resistor circuit between the
computer serial port and the K2 PTT input.

Adjust the line-out level on the computer to the point just under where
you see ALC bars illuminating in the K2 bargraph.

I believe the Digipan manual (or help file) contains schematics for all
that I have mentioned - it did at one time, but that was many years
ago.  You can also find the information on the web, just Google on PSK31
interface and you will get many hits.

Of course, all the above can come in a package in the form of a digital
interface box, and many of those boxes include other bells and
whistles.  If you like the bells and whistles, purchase the box, but if
you want to do a bit of building yourself, I have described what is
required.

I recommend using the RTTY filter set in the K2 rather than SSB because
it includes an independent setting for the menu SSBC parameter (should
always be 1:1 for data modes).
I set the RTTY FL1 the same as the SSB FL1 (OP1 filter with BFOs the
same as for SSB), and then set FL2 at 1.00, FL3 at 0.70, FL4 at 0.40 and
center FL2 thru FL4 at 1000 Hz.  In operation, normally FL1 is used to
provide a wide bandpass enabling "click and operate" frequency selection
anywhere within the OP1 passband, but if conditions are rough and QRM is
heavy, I tune the desired signal (with the K2 VFO) to 1000 Hz on the
waterfall which allows use of the narrow RTTY filters to reduce the
level of QRM and avoid the AGC pumping caused by a strong undesired
signal inside the receive passband.

John Chance-Read wrote:
> Thanks to every one who responded to my last request.
> I note many are using K3 for PSK 31 but I've got a K2 so I guess for K2 owners this is all history
> I shall stick with CW Skimmer for morse and probably DigiPan for PSK31.
> I have a suitable computer
> K2 owner that have used these combinations and can advise me as to any particular interface between the two would be appreciated.
> Does one simply use the data mode on the K2 ?
> John G4BOU

Re: K2 & PSK31

Phil Kane-2
On 5/22/2009 10:02 AM, John Chance-Read wrote:

> I note many are using K3 for PSK 31 but I've got a K2 so I guess
> for K2 owners this is all history

> I shall stick with CW Skimmer for morse and probably DigiPan for
> PSK31. I have a suitable computer

> K2 owner that have used these combinations and can advise me as
> to any particular interface between the two would be appreciated.

  I am using my K2 with MixW software through a RigBlaster Plus
  interface.

> Does one simply use the data mode on the K2 ?

  I found that on 90 metres I use the Data Reverse mode and all
  works well.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402