K2 Power meter

TJ Campie
This has been beaten over and over I think but I haven't found
anything on it yet:

I just got back from the lab at work and used a very well calibrated
power meter to calibrate my KAT2 power meter.  Now on 40m at home, I
set my power control to 5w and tuner to Pout.  The tuner now reads
2.9w.  Not until I tune the requested power to 8 watts or so does the
tuner say I'm putting out 5 watts.  Isn't there a way to adjust it so
that the requested power matches the tuner output power so that the S/
Power meter reads the right value?  That's the most annoying part...

Tom

Re: K2 Power meter

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

No adjustment is required.  In CALP state, the tuner must be working
into a 50 ohm load for accurate power readings.  If you are connected to
an antenna that has a feedpoint impedance other than 50+j0 impedance,
you can expect "unexpected" results.
When you change the ATU menu to Auto and do a TUNE, the tuner has done
its job of providing a 50 ohm match to the K2 and the power out will be
as requested.

Tom Campie wrote:

> This has been beaten over and over I think but I haven't found
> anything on it yet:
>
> I just got back from the lab at work and used a very well calibrated
> power meter to calibrate my KAT2 power meter.  Now on 40m at home, I
> set my power control to 5w and tuner to Pout.  The tuner now reads
> 2.9w.  Not until I tune the requested power to 8 watts or so does the
> tuner say I'm putting out 5 watts.  Isn't there a way to adjust it so
> that the requested power matches the tuner output power so that the S/
> Power meter reads the right value?  That's the most annoying part...
>
> Tom

Re: K2 Power meter

TJ Campie
I calibrated the tuner to a 50 ohm load on CALP.  With the tuner tuned
to a non-50 Ohm load, the requested power does not match the output
power by any definition of the word.

Tom

On Jul 19, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Tom,
>
> No adjustment is required.  In CALP state, the tuner must be working
> into a 50 ohm load for accurate power readings.  If you are
> connected to an antenna that has a feedpoint impedance other than
> 50+j0 impedance, you can expect "unexpected" results.
> When you change the ATU menu to Auto and do a TUNE, the tuner has
> done its job of providing a 50 ohm match to the K2 and the power out
> will be as requested.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Tom Campie wrote:
>> This has been beaten over and over I think but I haven't found
>> anything on it yet:
>>
>> I just got back from the lab at work and used a very well
>> calibrated  power meter to calibrate my KAT2 power meter.  Now on
>> 40m at home, I  set my power control to 5w and tuner to Pout.  The
>> tuner now reads  2.9w.  Not until I tune the requested power to 8
>> watts or so does the  tuner say I'm putting out 5 watts.  Isn't
>> there a way to adjust it so  that the requested power matches the
>> tuner output power so that the S/ Power meter reads the right
>> value?  That's the most annoying part...
>>
>> Tom
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> 270.13.20/2248 - Release Date: 07/19/09 05:57:00

Re: K2 Power meter

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

That is exactly what I said.  In CALP, if the load is anything other
than 50+j0, the power indication will be incorrect.  In other words, the
requested power may not equal the actual power.

When you go to AUTO and do a TUNE, the forward power should be close to
the requested power.

Tom Campie wrote:

> I calibrated the tuner to a 50 ohm load on CALP.  With the tuner tuned
> to a non-50 Ohm load, the requested power does not match the output
> power by any definition of the word.
>
> Tom
>
> On Jul 19, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>

>> Tom,
>>
>> No adjustment is required.  In CALP state, the tuner must be working
>> into a 50 ohm load for accurate power readings.  If you are
>> connected to an antenna that has a feedpoint impedance other than
>> 50+j0 impedance, you can expect "unexpected" results.
>> When you change the ATU menu to Auto and do a TUNE, the tuner has
>> done its job of providing a 50 ohm match to the K2 and the power out
>> will be as requested.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> Tom Campie wrote:
>>
>>> This has been beaten over and over I think but I haven't found
>>> anything on it yet:
>>>
>>> I just got back from the lab at work and used a very well
>>> calibrated  power meter to calibrate my KAT2 power meter.  Now on
>>> 40m at home, I  set my power control to 5w and tuner to Pout.  The
>>> tuner now reads  2.9w.  Not until I tune the requested power to 8
>>> watts or so does the  tuner say I'm putting out 5 watts.  Isn't
>>> there a way to adjust it so  that the requested power matches the
>>> tuner output power so that the S/ Power meter reads the right
>>> value?  That's the most annoying part...
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> 270.13.20/2248 - Release Date: 07/19/09 05:57:00

Re: K2 Power meter

TJ Campie
Like I said before, the requested power is nowhere near the power read
by the tuner when tuned to a non-50 ohm load. But I am certain of the
calibration of the tuner meter and when it says it is putting out 5
watts, the current draw is about 1.75 amps as I have confirmed with
other K2 owners to be the draw at 5 watts.

There's some weirdness going on somewhere, that is for sure.

Tom

On Jul 19, 2009, at 11:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> That is exactly what I said.  In CALP, if the load is anything other
> than 50+j0, the power indication will be incorrect.  In other words,
> the requested power may not equal the actual power.
>
> When you go to AUTO and do a TUNE, the forward power should be close
> to the requested power.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Tom Campie wrote:
>> I calibrated the tuner to a 50 ohm load on CALP.  With the tuner
>> tuned  to a non-50 Ohm load, the requested power does not match the
>> output  power by any definition of the word.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>

>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> No adjustment is required.  In CALP state, the tuner must be
>>> working  into a 50 ohm load for accurate power readings.  If you
>>> are  connected to an antenna that has a feedpoint impedance other
>>> than  50+j0 impedance, you can expect "unexpected" results.
>>> When you change the ATU menu to Auto and do a TUNE, the tuner has
>>> done its job of providing a 50 ohm match to the K2 and the power
>>> out  will be as requested.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> ---
>>  - Release Date: 07/19/09 05:57:00

Re: K2 Power meter

TJ Campie
I just realized something that may be throwing it off - I installed the
Elecraft 4:1 balun inside the rig and hard wired it to ANT 2 on the tuner
after I'd done the bridge null - is it possible that that has thrown off
that null and I am not actually getting a 50 ohm load to the front end?
I'll have to redo that tonight and report back.

Thanks for the help so far.

Tom

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> That is exactly what I said.  In CALP, if the load is anything other than
> 50+j0, the power indication will be incorrect.  In other words, the
> requested power may not equal the actual power.
>
> When you go to AUTO and do a TUNE, the forward power should be close to the
> requested power.
>

> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Tom Campie wrote:
>
>> I calibrated the tuner to a 50 ohm load on CALP.  With the tuner tuned  to
>> a non-50 Ohm load, the requested power does not match the output  power by
>> any definition of the word.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>

>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> No adjustment is required.  In CALP state, the tuner must be working
>>>  into a 50 ohm load for accurate power readings.  If you are  connected to
>>> an antenna that has a feedpoint impedance other than  50+j0 impedance, you
>>> can expect "unexpected" results.
>>> When you change the ATU menu to Auto and do a TUNE, the tuner has  done
>>> its job of providing a 50 ohm match to the K2 and the power out  will be as
>>> requested.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> 270.13.20/2248 - Release Date: 07/19/09 05:57:00

Re: K2 Power meter

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

If the balun was in the circuit when you did the null, the result will
be WAY off.
The tuner must be looking into a good 50 ohm load when adjusting for the
null.

Tom Campie wrote:

> I just realized something that may be throwing it off - I installed the
> Elecraft 4:1 balun inside the rig and hard wired it to ANT 2 on the tuner
> after I'd done the bridge null - is it possible that that has thrown off
> that null and I am not actually getting a 50 ohm load to the front end?
> I'll have to redo that tonight and report back.
>
> Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Tom
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Tom,
>>
>> That is exactly what I said.  In CALP, if the load is anything other than
>> 50+j0, the power indication will be incorrect.  In other words, the
>> requested power may not equal the actual power.
>>
>> When you go to AUTO and do a TUNE, the forward power should be close to the
>> requested power.
>>

>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> Tom Campie wrote:
>>

>>> I calibrated the tuner to a 50 ohm load on CALP.  With the tuner tuned  to
>>> a non-50 Ohm load, the requested power does not match the output  power by
>>> any definition of the word.
>>>
>>> Tom

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> 270.13.20/2248 - Release Date: 07/19/09 05:57:00

Re: K2 Power meter

TJ Campie
I redid the C55 null (it was off by quite a bit now) but that did not solve
the problem.  I re-initialized the tuner and retuned my non-50 ohm load and
my power readings were still way off.  Worst on 40m.  I'm taking the balun
off tonight, we'll see if that makes any difference.  If not I guess I'll
have to go through and see if I can find any mistakes or errors in the
build.  Any other ideas?

Tom

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Tom Campie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just realized something that may be throwing it off - I installed the
> Elecraft 4:1 balun inside the rig and hard wired it to ANT 2 on the tuner
> after I'd done the bridge null - is it possible that that has thrown off
> that null and I am not actually getting a 50 ohm load to the front end?
> I'll have to redo that tonight and report back.
>
> Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Tom
>

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> That is exactly what I said.  In CALP, if the load is anything other than
>> 50+j0, the power indication will be incorrect.  In other words, the
>> requested power may not equal the actual power.
>>
>> When you go to AUTO and do a TUNE, the forward power should be close to
>> the requested power.
>>

>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> Tom Campie wrote:
>>
>>> I calibrated the tuner to a 50 ohm load on CALP.  With the tuner tuned
>>>  to a non-50 Ohm load, the requested power does not match the output  power
>>> by any definition of the word.
>>>
>>> Tom

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> 270.13.20/2248 - Release Date: 07/19/09 05:57:00

Re: K2 Power meter

TJ Campie
I just thought of another thing: I got the KAT2 almost completely built -
just had to put in one IC and the RAM chip. When I tested the DC voltage on
Pin 1 of that IC at the end of the Bridge Null section the voltage was 2.56
V or something, below the spec'd 3-4 volts. I attributed this to the fact
that R6 was already installed and just went on. Could that be a clue to the
source of my trouble? Should that have read between 3 and 4 volts even with
that resistor in there? I'm going to take it out and go through that
process again tonight and see where that gets me.

Tom W0EA