K2 Problem ???

Jim HaRRIS

Hi,

My K2 is slightly over four years old.  I only use it for portable operations about once per month.  It has all the bells and whistles including DSP and all needed mods are installed.  I power it with an external battery through an MFJ battery booster.  I had to add the booster because as the battery voltage would drop below about 11.5 volts at the radio I would get reports of transmitted audio distortion.  I now get good audio reports on my transmitted audio.  Since I've added the booster when I set the display function to show the DSP parameters there is a crackling buzzing sound in the received audio.  The other display settings do not cause the noise.  Apparently there is no ill effect other than the annoying noise.  Has anyone experienced this previously?  Any idea as to what is causing the noise and how to get rid of it.

Thank you.  Have a good day and 73.

Jim, W0EM

Re: K2 Problem ???

Don Wilhelm-4
Jim,

That 'ticking' noise when in the DSP menu is present on all K2s with the
KDSP2 option.
I believe it is the sound of the clock updating.  It is not a problem
and goes away when you exit the DSP menus.  I am surprised that you just
now noticed it.

Jim Harris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My K2 is slightly over four years old.  I only use it for portable operations about once per month.  It has all the bells and whistles including DSP and all needed mods are installed.  I power it with an external battery through an MFJ battery booster.  I had to add the booster because as the battery voltage would drop below about 11.5 volts at the radio I would get reports of transmitted audio distortion.  I now get good audio reports on my transmitted audio.  Since I've added the booster when I set the display function to show the DSP parameters there is a crackling buzzing sound in the received audio.  The other display settings do not cause the noise.  Apparently there is no ill effect other than the annoying noise.  Has anyone experienced this previously?  Any idea as to what is causing the noise and how to get rid of it.
>
> Thank you.  Have a good day and 73.
>
> Jim, W0EM

Re: K2 Problem ???

Hisashi T Fujinaka
Does it happen on the KAF2 as well? I thought about getting one of those
to play with.

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Jim,
>
> That 'ticking' noise when in the DSP menu is present on all K2s with the
> KDSP2 option.
> I believe it is the sound of the clock updating.  It is not a problem
> and goes away when you exit the DSP menus.  I am surprised that you just
> now noticed it.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Jim Harris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My K2 is slightly over four years old.  I only use it for portable operations about once per month.  It has all the bells and whistles including DSP and all needed mods are installed.  I power it with an external battery through an MFJ battery booster.  I had to add the booster because as the battery voltage would drop below about 11.5 volts at the radio I would get reports of transmitted audio distortion.  I now get good audio reports on my transmitted audio.  Since I've added the booster when I set the display function to show the DSP parameters there is a crackling buzzing sound in the received audio.  The other display settings do not cause the noise.  Apparently there is no ill effect other than the annoying noise.  Has anyone experienced this previously?  Any idea as to what is causing the noise and how to get rid of it.
>>
>> Thank you.  Have a good day and 73.
>>
>> Jim, W0EM

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]

Re: K2 Problem ???

Don Wilhelm-4
I have never heard it, the KAF2 clock setting is much different than the
KDSP2.
In either case, it does not interfere with normal operation of the DSP

Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> Does it happen on the KAF2 as well? I thought about getting one of those
> to play with.
>
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>

>> Jim,
>>
>> That 'ticking' noise when in the DSP menu is present on all K2s with the
>> KDSP2 option.
>> I believe it is the sound of the clock updating.  It is not a problem
>> and goes away when you exit the DSP menus.  I am surprised that you just
>> now noticed it.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> Jim Harris wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My K2 is slightly over four years old.  I only use it for portable operations about once per month.  It has all the bells and whistles including DSP and all needed mods are installed.  I power it with an external battery through an MFJ battery booster.  I had to add the booster because as the battery voltage would drop below about 11.5 volts at the radio I would get reports of transmitted audio distortion.  I now get good audio reports on my transmitted audio.  Since I've added the booster when I set the display function to show the DSP parameters there is a crackling buzzing sound in the received audio.  The other display settings do not cause the noise.  Apparently there is no ill effect other than the annoying noise.  Has anyone experienced this previously?  Any idea as to what is causing the noise and how to get rid of it.
>>>
>>> Thank you.  Have a good day and 73.
>>>
>>> Jim, W0EM

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K2 Problem ???

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Hello Hisashi,

Yes, I have a KAF2 and hear a "tick" every second when the time is
displayed, so I don't use this feature.

The "tick" could probably be eliminated, but I have not taken time out to
look at the problem.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote on Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:47 AM