K2: Q6 very hot in TX without mod, Normal?

K2: Q6 very hot in TX without mod, Normal?

Michael van Hauten
Hi,
today i did  a recalibration of my K2. I recognized, that Q6 became very hot after a short time pressing TX at the mic in SSB mode, even without modulation. All voltages at the related transistors are equal to the manual. The current goes from 300mA in RX to 680mA in TX without mod. Any ideas?
vy 73, Michael, DC0ZO

Re: K2: Q6 very hot in TX without mod, Normal?

Don Wilhelm-4
Michael,

If you have the new 2SC5739 transistor at Q6 (plastic tab), it will run
hotter than the previous Q6 2SC2166 (metal tab)
To tame it down, change R46 from 270 ohms to 330 ohms which will reduce
the bias voltage during transmit.  Q6 should cool down during receive.

OTOH, if you have the 2SC2166 installed or Q6 does not cool down during
receive, that is an indication of a problem.  Check the 8R and 8T
voltages during both transmit and receive.  You can measure those
voltage rails easily at the anodes of D6 and D7.  During receive D6
anode should be about 8 volts and D7 anode should be near zero.  During
transmit, the reverse should be true.  If there is a problem, check
Control Board Q1 and Q2 (the controlling source for these voltages) and
RF Board Q23 which should pull 8R to almost zero during transmit.
If Q6 stays hot during receive periods, that could indicate a shorted RF
Board Q10.