K2 , R116 alternative ?

Mike W-12
I'm in UK and missing R116 ( the 1/8w BFO retaining R ) from the
K2 kit. Anyone recomend an alternative means of fixing the BFO
coil without it ?. I have no suitable 1/8w resistors in stock.
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K2 , R116 alternative ?

Don Wilhelm-2
Mike,

The 1/8 watt 1 meg resistor does two things - it provides leads to which one
can solder the very fine toroid wires, and it provides mechanical 'holding
power' for the toroid core.  The resistance itself is not critical because
it is almost an insulator compared to the other impedances at that point in
the circuit.  The small body makes a nice fit into the center of the toroid.

If you can find a suitable substitute in a similarly small package, by all
means use it.  As a temporary measure, you might use just two pieces of
wire - solder them into the holes leaving enough sticking out on the bottom
of the board to wrap around the core and hold it in place - just make
certain they do not touch in the middle (put some insulation from the
Elecraft supplied green wire over the exposed ends).

Life is what happens when you are making other plans

> I'm in UK and missing R116 ( the 1/8w BFO retaining R ) from the
> K2 kit. Anyone recomend an alternative means of fixing the BFO
> coil without it ?. I have no suitable 1/8w resistors in stock.

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K2 , R116 alternative ?

Don Brown-4
Hi

Back when this mod first came out I did not have the 1/8 watt resistor for the beta test so I used a 1 meg 1/4 watt in its place. This will work if you remove enough of the rubber bumper to allow the resister to set low enough so it does not contact the bottom cover. Also when you remove the square of masking tape from the heatsink save it to stick on the bottom cover to insulate the resistor and toroid.

Don Brown
KD5NDB
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Mini-Module Kit Questions

John [N5BSD]
Anyone have any suggestions on a small enclosure for the BL1 and DL1 before
I order them.
Love the idea, just don't trust me and my luck to leaving electronics that
exposed HI HI

Have been toying with the idea of building them in to an EC1, but haven't
figured out a small coax switch to mount inside to allow, a single coax
entry so I would not have to switch lines when needing to check things out.

Thanks in advance as always

73
John
N5BSD / NNN0OYH