[K2] Radio Owls' Field Day

alorona

I just wanted to post my own Field Day observations without necessarily starting
another thread.

Two things I was extremely happy about:

1/ My 13-year-old son, Simon, made almost 100 contacts by himself. He's had his
license for ten months. Even Blaise my six-year-old made three contacts and was
trying for more!

2/ Even though I hadn't used the K2 since last Field Day I never once thought,
"Okay, I'm operating an Elecraft K2," in order to think about how to do
something. Instead, I *never* adjusted a control other than the tuning knob; I
can't even remember being aware of the digital display; the 'transparency' of
the K2 simply left me hearing and visualizing signals without being aware of the
rig itself. In short, the rig disappeared. This is a litmus test that I apply to
all rigs and only two, the K2 and the Omni VI, have ever passed the test. Very
cool.

I'll have to re-think setting up in a rain forest next year because rain kept us
off the air for all except 6 hours... but we hope to work you all from a
different location in 2013.

Regards,

The Radio Owls
Al W6LX  (+ Simon KJ6QNN)
Siskiyou National Forest, Oregon

Re: [K2] Radio Owls' Field Day

k6dgw
On 6/28/2012 12:55 PM, Al Lorona wrote:

> 2/ Even though I hadn't used the K2 since last Field Day I never once thought,
> "Okay, I'm operating an Elecraft K2," in order to think about how to do
> something. Instead, I *never* adjusted a control other than the tuning knob;

My experience with all my E-gear as well.  My K3 is pretty much "Big
Knob" only.  While running in a contest, I'll turn on RIT [sort of wish
that was saved by band or was immune to band changes] to find off-freq
callers, and I don't ever watch the radio, I watch the P3.  In QRPTTF
out on a hill top, I hung my K2 around my neck, found a frequency,
locked the VFO, and you can probably count the number of times I did
something to the radio on the fingers of one hand, even if you're
missing your thumb and a finger.

Despite the number of control actions, I rarely change things.  Now with
4.51, NB and NR are just "always on."  For the record, I'm pretty much
CW only, SSB mileage might vary, don't know.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org