K2 S/N 3279 alive

Vicenç
Hi to all the list

I am happy to let you know that K2 #3279 is up and running. Some of you
may think what is absolutely true. I had the kit on my bench for quite a
while with no time to build, but finally I found a gap during last
Christmas holidays. I was delighted with this building experience and
realising how step by step the rig was coming to life. I took my time
and spent about 35 hours to build the basic K2 together with the NB2,
SSB board and Audio filter board. Everything worked first time although
I made two “minor” mistakes. I swapped R34 and R43 on the RF board
(perhaps dyslexia??) but fortunately this error did not produce an
undesirable effect on the rig. The second mistake I would like to point
out because it was a bit more tricky in terms of solving the problem is
that I swapped 2 resistor networks in the SSB board, namely RP5 and RP3,
(in this case the fault was probably because of the excitement to have
the whole thing working). Just in case someone else makes the same
mistake, the effect of swapping those 2 resistor packs is that the power
output in CW does not go over let’s say 4 to 5 Watts with independence
of the power setting with the power pot . I would advice everybody to
double check values as Elecraft advices in the manual (and not get so
excited as I was) because unsoldering a resistor pack is a tricky issue.
I managed with solder wick and quite a lot of patience.
Next step here will be adding the digital modes interface designed by
Pauli, EA3BLQ. I have been in touch with him and hope to have it in a
very short time. Another personal challenge is to include the K2 in the
EA Amateur license which is not a simple matter due to the fact that
Spanish laws are really very restrictive regarding some issues. For
instance, one of the main topics is that a rig must only be able to
transmit inside the band limits allowed by the law. I contacted Wayne,
N6KR, asking for the possibility to programm an I/O controller with the
EA band limits and he accepted. I would like to express how pleased I am
with the support and assistance provided by all the Elecraft crew. All
they are really focused on customers. This is at least my perception and
feeling.

Best 72 to all the Elecraft crew

Vicenç, EA3ADV