K2 SSB question.

Gil G.
Hello,

I would like some suggestions regarding getting a K2, or not.
I am new to Ham radio and just built a K1. So, as far as CW is concerned, I am all set.
I also just built the 4-band module, and have the components to turn my other board into an 80/17m.
So, getting a K2 for me would essentially be for adding SSB. I could keep the K1 as a backup.
Reading the reviews on Eham (I know, I know…) it seems like SSB isn't a K2 strong point.
I have thought about just getting an MFJ-9440 for SSB and be done with that, saving $600.
This reflector might not be the place for an objective opinion. but oh well…
By the way, I couldn't possibly justify spending more than the price of a K2 for any radio.
So, owning a K1, would I just be getting a mediocre $600 SSB option with the K2, or have these TX audio problems been fixed, or ever existed?
I could get an MFJ-9440 now and save up for a K2 later, keeping the 9440 as a backup, but my concern is that the K2 might no longer be available.
The K1 is here to stay by the way, I like it too much to ever sell it.

Thanks for shedding some light on my dilemma :-)

Gil.
--
New site: http://radiopreppers.com
PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: K2 SSB question.

Jim Wiley
Gil -

I am sure you will get other replies, but here's my 2-cents worth:  I
have owned a K2 since about 2005, and while it is not my primary rig, I
have used it enough to get a good "feel" for how it stacks up when using
SSB.  I use a Kenwood MC-43 hand microphone with the K2.  I have also
installed the upgraded SSB crystal filter set.

First off, the down sides:  The only serious "beef" I have is with the
noise blanker, which I consider to be only marginally useful.  When
compared to the blanker function in my other rigs, a Kenwood  TS-570 and
a Yaesu FT-1000 MK 5, it takes last place by a comfortable distance.  A
secondary issue is that the K2 requires a few minutes of  "warm up" to
settle down on frequency.  This is not a problem in any way, it just
needs to be something to keep in mind.  Total drift is perhaps 200 Hz
over 30 minutes, which I consider acceptable.  In fact for us "old
f**ts" that have been on the air since the 50's,  it is remarkable.   We
used to have rigs that had all they could do to stay in the band, let
alone on frequency.

Now, for the good news:  I took care to properly adjust the  filters and
the sideband module, and once adjusted, they perform very well.  I use
the  "OP-1" filter for most SSB use,  and only occasionally use the
variable bandwidth filter.  The OP-1 filter is the one that is part of
the SSB module, and is the filter used for SSB transmit.  When I have
occasionally used the variable bandwidth filter (the primary K2 filter)
for receive, it has also worked well, in fact better than I
anticipated.  I have it set ( for SSB) for bandwidths of 1.8, 1.6, and
1.4 kHz.  The narrower bandwidths sacrifice some intelligibility  of
course, but they do make copy possible sometimes when conditions are
crowded.   The use of the "Spectrogram" audio spectrum analyzer is
essential here, as the rig simply cannot be properly set up without it.
Fortunately, the program is free, and excellent tutorials are available
for its use.

Keep in mind that the K2 variable bandwidth filter can have different
settings for SSB and CW modes, a very useful feature.  For CW, I have
mine set for 1.5, 1.0, 0.6 and 0.3 kHz.   This combination has proven
good for my style of operation.  The great thing about this is that you
can set the filters for your personal reference, adjusting bandwidths as
needed without having to buy a whole box full of separate filters.

Reports from other stations indicate that SSB transmit audio is crisp
and easy to copy.  The speech compressor function works well, as long as
you don't try to overdo it.  Moderation is everything here.  Receive
audio is smooth, with no obvious peaks or holes in the response.  Yes,
the Mark 5 has better audio, but not all that much better, and
definitely not considering the difference in price.

I did purchase the KDSP2 DSP option.  I am not sure I would do that
again, but I'm not getting rid of it either.  I think the KAF2 filter
would be a more cost effective choice, because the extra help is needed
(for my operations) almost always for CW only.   The DSP does offer help
for CW, and it works, I just don't use it much.    The real advantage of
the DSP is additional noise reduction, and it helps there, but not quite
as much as I had hoped.   I had hoped for better results there, but I
also understand that the KDSP2 is a "first generation"  unit, and  some
"slack" must be allowed.

The K2 is, overall, a great rig.  It is versatile, small, and relatively
inexpensive.   I have mine set up  in what I consider to be the most
versatile  manner:  I have the base K2 as a QRP / portable rig, with the
internal 20-watt automatic coupler and battery pack, and of course the
SSB and noise blanker options, plus the 160-meter module.  I do not have
the 60-meter option, but the K2 has essentially everything else.    I
have the KPA100  amplifier, together with the  KAT100 mounted in a
separate EC2 cabinet.  This plugs into the K2 for seamless 100-watt
"base station" use.

A huge advantage of the K2 modular concept is that you can get as much
or as little of this as fits your needs and pocketbook.   A "fully
loaded" K2 is not a cheap radio, but you don't have to do it all at once
either.    It actually hears a bit better that either of my other rigs,
which is a bit of a surprise.  Not enough better that I am getting rid
of them, as they each have their advantages.  For example the TS-570
works on 6 meters , where the K2 does not. and the Mark 5 offers some
additional features that the K2 does not - such as a 2nd receiver
option, but again, the  difference in performance is perhaps not worth
the difference in cost.  It becomes a matter of personal preference.

Finally, I predict that if you get a K2, you will find yourself using
the K1 only very occasionally, if at all.  The K1 is not a bad radio at
all.  It is in fact a great little set.  The K2 is simply better.  Wayne
and Eric have said that they will keep the K2 available as long as they
can get parts, and they have apparently laid in a big stock of some of
the critical items.  With the number of K2's slowly approaching 10,000,
they must be doing something right.

- Jim, KL7CC

Gil G. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like some suggestions regarding getting a K2, or not.
> I am new to Ham radio and just built a K1. So, as far as CW is concerned, I am all set.
> I also just built the 4-band module, and have the components to turn my other board into an 80/17m.
> So, getting a K2 for me would essentially be for adding SSB. I could keep the K1 as a backup.
> Reading the reviews on Eham (I know, I know…) it seems like SSB isn't a K2 strong point.
> I have thought about just getting an MFJ-9440 for SSB and be done with that, saving $600.
> This reflector might not be the place for an objective opinion. but oh well…
> By the way, I couldn't possibly justify spending more than the price of a K2 for any radio.
> So, owning a K1, would I just be getting a mediocre $600 SSB option with the K2, or have these TX audio problems been fixed, or ever existed?
> I could get an MFJ-9440 now and save up for a K2 later, keeping the 9440 as a backup, but my concern is that the K2 might no longer be available.
> The K1 is here to stay by the way, I like it too much to ever sell it.
>
> Thanks for shedding some light on my dilemma :-)
>
> Gil.
> --
> New site: http://radiopreppers.com
> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: K2 SSB question.

Michael Babineau-2
I agree with Jim, KL7CC.  I recently completed the KSB2 module for my K2 (S/N 5995) and I also
use a Kenwood MC-43 hand mic. I  even received unsolicited positive comments on my TX
audio quality in a recent SSB contest that I participated in.  I believe that there may have been
some issues with SSB audio in the earlier days of the K2 but those have been long resolved.

I also have a K1 and I can say without hesitation that the K1 is a great little radio but the K2 receiver is
truly amazing in comparison. In spite of the fact that the K2 design is almost 15 years old, its RX performance
still ranks up there with radios costing nearly 10 times as much. If you can build a K1 you can build a K2, it just
requires some patience.  As KL7CC said the nice thing is that you can build a basic K2 and add on options over
time.

Michael VE3WMB