K2 - Strange problem ?

Stewart Baker
I am wondering if any other K2 user has experienced the following.

NO receive when NOT on transmit.

VERY occasionally I get the my K2 stuck on  what seems to be transmit.

If I press the MODE button to select the VOX function the display shows SPCH 0.2
then returns to the frequency display with the mode (U or L) flashing.
With no microphone connected and the POWER control fully ACW their is no
received audio out of the speaker. Therefore one would think that the K2 is
stuck on transmit.
However, I am able to select other VOX delays, RIT, XIT etc.
These functions are normally locked when on transmit with either VOX or PTT.
If I power my K2 OFF then ON sometimes I can get the same problem, but more
often than not the problem goes away. Because of the very intermittent nature of
the fault it will be really difficult to track down. PTT operation always works
fine.

My gut feeling is that it is a firmware problem, with possibly something not
always getting intialised properly.

I would be interested to hear from others.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

Re: K2 - Strange problem ?

Don Wilhelm-3
Stewart,

You may want to monitor the state of '8R', '8T', and 'MUTE' signals in the
K2 during such occurrances.  That may give you a bit of information about
where to begin looking for the source of the problem.

Re: K2 - Strange problem ?

Brian Mury-3
On Sun, 2004-28-11 at 10:43 +0000, Stewart Baker wrote:
> If I press the MODE button to select the VOX function the display shows SPCH 0.2
> then returns to the frequency display with the mode (U or L) flashing.
> With no microphone connected and the POWER control fully ACW their is no
> received audio out of the speaker. Therefore one would think that the K2 is
> stuck on transmit.

That happens to me also.

> However, I am able to select other VOX delays, RIT, XIT etc.

Same here - but it's really slow to respond.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: K2 - Strange problem ?

Gilbert J Cross
        I have had a problem similar to this. Occasionally when through
talking the K2 does not return in the full receive mode. The rig seems to
be muted. I found early on that by quickly tapping the PTT button that
the receiver returns to full volume. Could possibly be a sticking relay
in my amp. Sooner or later if the PTT tapping does not work I shall be
forced to look for the reason.

                Gil  K8EAG