K2 Update Process?

Bill Tubbs, WK6A
I finally joined this elite group of Elecraft owners by acquiring a used KX1 a month or so ago, and a used K2 last week. My K2 has a few options already included, but since it's an older unit (#656) and is running firmware 1.02, I'd like to upgrade everything to make it current.

Here's what I have:

K2 #656 v1.02
KAF2 Audio Filter and Real-Time Clock; Revision A, August 30, 2001
K160RX 160 Meter Module; Revision A, September 8, 1999
KSB2 SSB Adapter; Revision A, Oct. 11, 1999
KNB2 Noise Blanker; Revision B, Nov. 4, 1999
KAT2 Automatic Antenna Tuner; Revision B, Feb 14, 2000

I'll continue to review all the information on the Elecraft website, but it IS a bit confusing with all the permutations over the years. Is there an obvious simple way to upgrade the unit, e.g., just replacing the firmware chip, or does a lot more need to be done with all the options?

I don't plan on getting the 100w option, but I suspect I WILL upgrade and get the RS-232 and USB adapters for it.

Ideas/thoughts?

Thanks.

Bill, WK6A

Re: K2 Update Process?

Don Wilhelm-4
Bill,

Go to the Elecraft Order page on their website and surf to the K2 Spare
Parts and Mods section.  From there, your point of interest is the K2 A
to B mods.  Order all within that A to B list and also order the
K2KEYMODKT.  That will get your K2 up to date.  Since there was a change
in the crystal specs that occurred at SN 2560, I also recommend that you
order the set of 14 matched crystals (if you do not have the KSB2, you
only need the set of 7).

On 3/18/2012 10:39 PM, Bill Tubbs, WK6A wrote:

> I finally joined this elite group of Elecraft owners by acquiring a used KX1
> a month or so ago, and a used K2 last week. My K2 has a few options already
> included, but since it's an older unit (#656) and is running firmware 1.02,
> I'd like to upgrade everything to make it current.
>
> Here's what I have:
>
> K2 #656 v1.02
> KAF2 Audio Filter and Real-Time Clock; Revision A, August 30, 2001
> K160RX 160 Meter Module; Revision A, September 8, 1999
> KSB2 SSB Adapter; Revision A, Oct. 11, 1999
> KNB2 Noise Blanker; Revision B, Nov. 4, 1999
> KAT2 Automatic Antenna Tuner; Revision B, Feb 14, 2000
>
> I'll continue to review all the information on the Elecraft website, but it
> IS a bit confusing with all the permutations over the years. Is there an
> obvious simple way to upgrade the unit, e.g., just replacing the firmware
> chip, or does a lot more need to be done with all the options?
>
> I don't plan on getting the 100w option, but I suspect I WILL upgrade and
> get the RS-232 and USB adapters for it.
>
> Ideas/thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill, WK6A

Re: K2 Update Process?

Bill Tubbs, WK6A
Thanks for the clarification, Don. I perused that page for a while but found it hard to track all the variations and mods. Order placed, and it looks like I'll be working on the rig next week.

73,
Bill