K2 Upgrade

WB3AAL
Hello,

 I have been selling off some of my other rigs to down size
the shack.

Now I want to upgrade my K2 QRP rig to a K2 100 watt rig.

>From what I am looking at I will need to get the 100 w kit
and the 100 w ATU.

I will need to take out the current ATU for QRP.

I am on the correct path?

72 and Thanks,
Ron Polityka
WB3AAL

K1 - SN 01011
K2 - SN 01392

Re: K2 Upgrade

Jim Wiley-2
Ron -

You may want to consider mounting the KPA-100 and the KAT-100 ATU in a
separate EC-2 enclosure.  That allows you to keep the basic K2 "as is"
for portable use, while still retaining the 100-watt capability for home
use.  I have taken this route, and it works well (for me).  There is
some additional cost, but not all that much, and the added versatility
is quite useful.  You will need to obtain a KIO-2 interface module  for
the K2 if you  don't already have one, and build a cable to connect the
serial data.  .  This is needed to route the control signals to and from
the 2 boxes. Also, one change I made while doing this was to leave the
speaker in the base K2, and not install a speaker in the KPA-100,
further simplifying things.  The assembly is easy, and no hurdles need
to be jumped.  A tutorial, complete with pictures, is available.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

- Jim, KL7CC

Ron Polityka wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I have been selling off some of my other rigs to down size
> the shack.
>
> Now I want to upgrade my K2 QRP rig to a K2 100 watt rig.
>
> >From what I am looking at I will need to get the 100 w kit
> and the 100 w ATU.
>
> I will need to take out the current ATU for QRP.
>
> I am on the correct path?
>
> 72 and Thanks,
> Ron Polityka
> WB3AAL
>
> K1 - SN 01011
> K2 - SN 01392

Re: K2 Upgrade

John Huggins, kx4o
I can vouch for the benefit of using a remote case for the 100 watt
option highlighted in this elegantly simple field day setup...

http://www.hamradio.me/activities/elecraft-k2-my-favorite-field-day-station.html

As suggested in the text, the firmware in the K2 system is well thought
out and makes configuration change logical and straightforward.

John, kx4o

On 4/21/12 11:42 AM, Jim Wiley wrote:

> Ron -
>

> You may want to consider mounting the KPA-100 and the KAT-100 ATU in a
> separate EC-2 enclosure.  That allows you to keep the basic K2 "as is"
> for portable use, while still retaining the 100-watt capability for home
>
> - Jim, KL7CC
>
> Ron Polityka wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> > From what I am looking at I will need to get the 100 w kit
>> and the 100 w ATU.
>>
>> I will need to take out the current ATU for QRP.
>>
>> I am on the correct path?
>>
>> 72 and Thanks,
>> Ron Polityka
>> WB3AAL
>>
>> K1 - SN 01011
>> K2 - SN 01392

Re: K2 Upgrade

k6dgw
On 4/21/2012 9:43 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Four plug-in cables connect the KPA100 to the K2, so you can quickly and
> easily switch from the K2/10 with its ATU and internal battery (if equipped)
> to a K2/100 and back again by just changing top covers.

But, learn from my stupidity ... one of those cables feeds RF to the
amplifier, one of them provides 12 VDC to the K2 when using the APP
power connections on the amplifier.  *The connectors are the same* and
the cables reach to either one.  Reversing them will give your day the
glide angle of a brick.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: K2 Upgrade

roncasa
On 04/21/2012 12:33 PM, John wrote:
> I can vouch for the benefit of using a remote case for the 100 watt
> option highlighted in this elegantly simple field day setup.

> http://www.hamradio.me/activities/elecraft-k2-my-favorite-field-day-station.html

Really neat and simple setup!

But, but where does the air conditioner go??
(smile)

72
Ron, wb1hga
"QRP, when u care to send the very least"

Re: K2 Upgrade

Guy, K2AV
I have to vouch for the separated 100w and ATU in the EC2 case.  With the
two cpu's talking to one another over the proprietary bus, it is really
seamless.  The power knob cranks all the way up to 100 watts when the KPA
is attached and on.  I get to keep my battery operated K2/10 with it's own
ATU.  The portable/battery operated mode with ATU is extremely handy for
field work on antennas, including specifying matching components needed to
put an L network at the antenna head of a feed line to flatten SWR over the
coax.  Bring it inside and plug it in to charge the battery and run a
seamless 100W QSK.

73, Guy