K2-Using a paddle and straight key at the same time….how?

K2-Using a paddle and straight key at the same time….how?

Millerhill
I'd like to keep both keys plugged into the K2 at the same time. How should I go about that?

Steve
W1SFR

Re: K2-Using a paddle and straight key at the same time….how?

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

See page 99 in the K2 manual - add the two diodes and make certain
Auto-Detect is turned on in the menu.

On 5/8/2012 1:47 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
> I'd like to keep both keys plugged into the K2 at the same time. How should I go about that?
>
> Steve
> W1SFR

Re: K2-Using a paddle and straight key at the same time….how?

Mike Markowski-2
Steve,

Just get a stereo 1/8" male to two stereo 1/8" females y-splitter and plug a key
into each.  You'll still have to remember to set the K2 to one key mode or the
other, but that's it.  If you want to switch multiple keys between multiple
rigs, you can easily wire up a project box like I did:

  http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/keySwitch/

73,
Mike ab3ap

On 05/08/2012 01:47 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
> I'd like to keep both keys plugged into the K2 at the same time. How should I go about that?
>
> Steve
> W1SFR

Re: K2-Using a paddle and straight key at the same time….how?

David Pratt
Steve - Look at page 99 of the latest (Rev H) manual. The section on "CW
Operation" shows how the two keys may be connected at the same time. You
might find that a small capacitor connected across the straight key
necessary depending on how much RF you have flying round the shack.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Stephen Roberts <[hidden email]> writes
--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: K2-Using a paddle and straight key at the same time….how?

Bob-2
Hi Steve,

                You can use a TRS (Tip, Ring,Sleeve) Y cable.   At the straight
key you will need to add 2 diodes to to keep isolation between  the DOT & Dash
leads.  Almost any diode will work, common  rectifier types in the 4000 series
or small signal 1N914 or 1N4148.

                 Works fine. In my case I have an old Brown Brothers that has a
key and paddle on the same base and the wiring was done under it and is not
visible.  Just  use whatever your choice is at any time.

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 5/8/2012 1:47 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
> I'd like to keep both keys plugged into the K2 at the same time. How should I go about that?
>
> Steve
> W1SFR

Re: K2-Using a paddle and straight key at the same time….how?

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
If you want to make the circuit with two diodes for auto detection, then if you have the possibility use Shottky diodes. This is especially so if you also want to use an external keyer from time to time in addition to a straight-key.

See "Reliable auto-detect for keyer for Elecraft K2"

http://la3za.blogspot.com/2012/05/reliable-auto-detect-for-keyer-for.html
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,