K2 and the Kio2

Millerhill
I'm going to be installing a KIO2 interface into my K2 shortly, but have a basic question. Is there a way to make the cable USB? I mean...who uses RS232 or Serial interfaces anymore? I'm assuming I will need an adapter of some sort. Recommendations?

73
Steve

Steve Roberts
W1SFR
Elecraft K2
Sudbury, VT

Re: K2 and the Kio2

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

Get yourself an adapter.  Caution, some adapters do not like to work
well at the slow 4800 bps rate that the K2 uses.  If you have a desktop,
I would recommend you use a serial card rather than an adapter, but if
you have a laptop, you may have no choice.  Those with an FTDI chipset
are usually OK, and I know the Edgeport adapters are good.

You MUST use the special serial cable to prevent damage to your K2.  The
cable does not have to be built full length, so if you want, you can
make it short - but it does have to be in place - the connector is
marked AUX IO - respect that, if it were a full RS-232 port connector,
it would have been marked RS-232.