K2 barefoot + ALS-600

Derf Mockford
Hi Ron, Phil & Don,

further to your item below on the Elecraft reflector, I use the
ALS600 with a barefoot K2. I appreciate that the required level of
amp gain is illegal to supply in USA but customer mods are quite
legitimate. The amp is ideal throttled-back for 400 watts max in UK.

By removing the amp's 35 ohm input series resistor and the 33 ohm
parallel resistor (3 x 100 ohms in parallel) that is across the amp's
input transformer, the input impedance came down considerably.
Using the K2 ATU, on 14.1MHz, 13 watts in = 600 watts out.

The primary of the amp's input transformer was one turn only. It is
Now re-wound with 3 turns as in the (almost identical) Communication
Concepts EB104 amp.  Input impedance is fairly close to 50 ohms for
1.9 to 20MHz. 6 watts in = 600 watts out. On 21 to 28 MHz, i/p Z is a
bit off of 50 ohms, and up to 10 watts is required for full output.

A 2db 50 ohm pi-attenuator was added on the input so that it is now a
good match to the barefoot K2 and suits UK max power limits.
I have no ALC connection from the amp to the K2, simply adjusting the
K2 RF output to get the required RF from the amp. The amp is very
stable and all mods took about 3 hours to complete.

The ALS-600 includes the AD5X QSK mod. This was the first mod that I
applied to the amp after purchase. Works perfectly. Phil, many thanks.

To you all and to the many contributors to the Elecraft reflector,
Merry Christmas.

73
Derf G8ZGK

> Subject: Elecraft Digest, Vol 80, Issue 42
> Message: 27
> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:49:00 -0800
> From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: modifying your amp for lower drive requirement
> To: <[hidden email]>,            "'Phil & Debbie Salas'" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Sure, but it's very easy to design a low-loss broadband matching network to
> provide the required impedance transformation.
>
> One HB amp of mine used a 16:1 transformer at the input for just that
> purpose.
>
> Ron AC7AC

------------------------------

CSL DualCom Limited
Registered Office:  Salamander Quay West, Park Lane, Harefield, Middlesex UB9 6NZ
Registered in England No. 3155883

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information.  Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of the company.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message
from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes,  or
disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you for your co-operation.

Re: K2 barefoot + ALS-600

Jim Brown-10
On 12/22/2010 9:44 AM, Derf Mockford wrote:
> The amp is very
> stable and all mods took about 3 hours to complete.

If you're running the barefoot K2 higher than 10 watts, you should
probably take a careful look at the output of the ALS600 on a good
spectrum analyzer.  I've heard good engineers familiar with the K2 say
that it's spectral purity degrades above 10 watts, which is why Elecraft
considers it a 10W radio.

73, Jim K9YC

More- ] K2 barefoot + ALS-600

Dick, K2ZR
Mark, More on the K2 barefoot + ALS-600 from the Elecraft reflector.  Dick

Jim Brown wrote:

>On 12/22/2010 9:44 AM, Derf Mockford wrote:
>

>>The amp is very
>>stable and all mods took about 3 hours to complete.
>>

>If you're running the barefoot K2 higher than 10 watts, you should
>probably take a careful look at the output of the ALS600 on a good
>spectrum analyzer.  I've heard good engineers familiar with the K2 say
>that it's spectral purity degrades above 10 watts, which is why Elecraft
>considers it a 10W radio.
>
>73, Jim K9YC

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K2 barefoot + ALS-600