K2 battery voltage

VE3WDM

Good afternoon all, I have the battery from Elecraft for my K2 and I charged it for 16 hours using my Aston RS20M. The voltage reading from the Astron supply using my Fluke 179 was 13.78 volts and the K2 was reading 13.3 volts. My question is after the 16 hours of charging with the Astron power supply removed from the K2 my voltage reading on the K2 is 12.1 volts and .042ma's. Is this voltage within spec's for the K2's battery after a 16 hour charge?
Mike
VE3WDM

Re: K2 battery voltage

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

Your battery is not fully charged 13.3 volts is just not enough to fully
charge the battery..  If you are going to use your power supply to
charge the battery, you will have to increase your power supply voltage
to 14.1 to 14.3 volts - there is a pot inside the Astron.
The battery does not see the full power supply voltage because there is
a drop across diode D10 in the K2.

The alternative to increasing the power supply voltage is to add a
Smartcharger.  Take a look at my website article www.w3fpr.com for how
to do it.  That type charger needs a direct connection to the battery
(but fused for safety).
If you want to see the specification for that battery, it is at
http://www.power-sonic.com/images/powersonic/sla_batteries/ps_psg_series/12volt/PS-1229_11_Feb_21.pdf