K2 et al

Paul Bartlett
Hi All,

I have had an idea. (Gasp, shock, horror!)

I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming inceasingly
frustrated at my own inability to locate component sites on the board.

If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great tool would be a
web site where you could simply type in U1, R12, C34 or whatever and obtain
an image of the board with a dot, crosshair or whatever identifying the
component's location.

When I've stopped soldering, I may look at it myself but I'd have to learn
the skills. Web page design is not my forte.

And I hate Java. But that's another story ;-)

Comments?

Paul M3CRQ

Re: K2 et al

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
The acrobat reader from adobe will locate some of the components, if you
go to the board drawing page.  It won't find them all though.  Perhaps a
tool to convert the board drawing such that all text is locatable would
be easier than a whole new gui program.
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:03 pm, Paul Bartlett wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have had an idea. (Gasp, shock, horror!)
>
> I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming
> inceasingly frustrated at my own inability to locate component sites on
> the board.
>
> If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great tool would
> be a web site where you could simply type in U1, R12, C34 or whatever
> and obtain an image of the board with a dot, crosshair or whatever
> identifying the component's location.
>
> When I've stopped soldering, I may look at it myself but I'd have to
> learn the skills. Web page design is not my forte.
>
> And I hate Java. But that's another story ;-)
>
> Comments?
>
> Paul M3CRQ

Re: K2 et al

KK7P
> I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming
> inceasingly frustrated at my own inability to locate component sites on
> the board.
>
> If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great tool would
> be a web site where you could simply type in U1, R12, C34 or whatever
> and obtain an image of the board with a dot, crosshair or whatever
> identifying the component's location.

As an alternative, you can download the manual in PDF format from the
Elecraft website.  KPA100 man rev C.pdf is the current version.

You can then do a search using Acrobat and it will find the part for you.

For example, display the page in the manual with the component layout
(page 66) and then use the Edit -> Find command in Acrobat and type in
what you are looking for, say C12.  The cursor will jump to C12 and
highlight it for you on the parts placement drawing.

It may not find the parts on the bottom of the board (Q4, for example)
but there are only a few parts there and its failure is a clue that the
part is on the bottom.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: K2 et al

Jack Brindle

On Oct 2, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:

> If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great tool
> would be a web site where you could simply type in U1, R12, C34 or
> whatever and obtain an image of the board with a dot, crosshair or
> whatever identifying the component's location.
>
> When I've stopped soldering, I may look at it myself but I'd have to
> learn the skills. Web page design is not my forte.
>
> And I hate Java. But that's another story ;-)

The easy way to do this would be to take a scan of the board and
superimpose the labels in text over the picture. It is important that
the labels be text. You can then convert the entire image, pict and
text to a PDF. You then do a text search to find the desired label. No
programming needed!

And no, I don't have the time to do that now. I am _way_ too busy doing
other things...

- Jack Brindle, WA4FIB

RE: K2 et al

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Your wish is already fulfilled, Paul.

Go to the Elecraft WEB site and download the PDF file of the manual. Open it
in Adobe Acrobat reader (free from www.adobe.com), go to the PCB layout page
and do a "search" in Acrobat for the reference designator you want. You'll
see the part ref des highlighted as it finds it.

You can find the parts on the schematics the same way. My only complaint is
that sometimes it's hard to see the highlighted Ref Des! So I repeat two
searches for different parts until I see the highlight come on.

Ron AC7AC

I have had an idea. (Gasp, shock, horror!)

I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming inceasingly
frustrated at my own inability to locate component sites on the board.

If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great tool would be a

web site where you could simply type in U1, R12, C34 or whatever and obtain
an image of the board with a dot, crosshair or whatever identifying the
component's location.

When I've stopped soldering, I may look at it myself but I'd have to learn
the skills. Web page design is not my forte.

And I hate Java. But that's another story ;-)

Comments?

Paul M3CRQ

Re: K2 et al

David Pratt-3
There all there, Paul.  Just take your time and you'll find them. From
your call sign you are licensed for 10W at the moment, so your K2
without its KPA100 should suffice for the time being.

Good luck with your Intermediate and Full licence examinations.

73 de David

M3CRQ de G4DMP

In a recent message, Paul Bartlett <[hidden email]>
said....
>I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming
>inceasingly frustrated at my own inability to locate component sites on
>the board.
>
>Comments?
>
>Paul M3CRQ

Re: K2 et al, Ref Designator Search

Bob -  W5BIG
Hi Paul,

I agree this would be a nice feature. The pdf file for the K2 manual can be
searched for a particular reference designator.  This is very handy for
locating a part reference in the text of the assembly instructions or on the
schematic drawings.  It can locate a lot of parts on the assembly drawings
too(Appendix F), but not all of them.

Perhaps it would be possible to update the pdf file to include all the
reference designators, since the basic frame work for searching is already
there.

73/ Bob - W5BIG

> I have had an idea. (Gasp, shock, horror!)
>
> I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming inceasingly
> frustrated at my own inability to locate component sites on the board.
>
> If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great tool would be
> web site where you could simply type in U1, R12, C34 or whatever and
obtain

> an image of the board with a dot, crosshair or whatever identifying the
> component's location.
>
> When I've stopped soldering, I may look at it myself but I'd have to learn
> the skills. Web page design is not my forte.
>
> And I hate Java. But that's another story ;-)
>
> Comments?
>
> Paul M3CRQ

Re: K2 et al

Tom Arntzen
How about a picture of the bord with locatorsquears on the board.
Then lets say that c34 should be located at a5 and r10 at e10 or something
like that.
It will be like finding a city on the map!

73 to all
de LA1PHA Tom

> I have had an idea. (Gasp, shock, horror!)
>
> I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming inceasingly
> frustrated at my own inability to locate component sites on the board.
>
> If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great tool would be
> web site where you could simply type in U1, R12, C34 or whatever and
obtain

> an image of the board with a dot, crosshair or whatever identifying the
> component's location.
>
> When I've stopped soldering, I may look at it myself but I'd have to learn
> the skills. Web page design is not my forte.
>
> And I hate Java. But that's another story ;-)
>
> Comments?
>
> Paul M3CRQ

Re: K2 et al, Ref Designator Search

Tom Hammond-3
W5BIG wrote:

>I agree this would be a nice feature. The pdf file for the K2 manual can
>be searched for a particular reference designator.  This is very handy for
>locating a part reference in the text of the assembly instructions or on
>the schematic drawings.  It can locate a lot of parts on the assembly
>drawings too(Appendix F), but not all of them.
>
>Perhaps it would be possible to update the pdf file to include all the
>reference designators, since the basic frame work for searching is already
>there.
>
> >Paul Bartlett, M3CRQ,  wrote:
> >
> >I'm currently building up the KPA100 for my K2 and am becoming
> >inceasingly frustrated at my own inability to locate component
> >sites on the board.
> >
> >If somebody has the expertise, time and willingness, a great
> >tool would be a web site where you could simply type in U1, R12,
> >C34 or whatever and obtain an image of the board with a dot,
> >crosshair or whatever identifying the component's location.
> >
> >When I've stopped soldering, I may look at it myself but I'd
> >have to learn the skills. Web page design is not my forte.

Re: K2 et al magnifying helps

Stuart Rohre
Paul,
Are you using an illuminated magnifier of at least 3X power?  Also, do you
have a supplemental hand magnifier that you could place behind the
illuminated bench glass and have double the magnification?  Makes it much
easier to see the boards and the notations.

Also, be sure to work in the order of the instructions, they are grouped by
areas, and refer to the manual illustrations and those on the Elecraft web
site.
72,
Stuart
K5KVH

Re: K2 et al, Ref Designator Search

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
I've found a trick to locate top-side parts in K2 Appendix F that are
labeled but not findable in Adobe Reader (formerly called Acrobat Reader).

It turns out that the unsearchable parts are the ones that are labeled
vertically (i.e., bottom to top).
The searchable top-side parts have labels that are oriented normally
(i.e., left-to-right) when looking at the board in standard orientation.

To find the unsearchable topside parts in Adobe Reader:
1. Rotate the page clockwise 90 degrees
2. Select the text tool (capital T).
3. Click and drag across the page, or just the area of interest.  (You
will only be able to select vertical swaths.)
4. All searchable part numbers will now be highlighted (black on my screen)
5. All labeled but unsearchable parts now stand out visually and are
easy to find.

Leigh WA5ZNU