K2 hand key problem

R Thompson
   I was looking to make a contact with my hand key when I ran into an
unusual problem.  As soon as a I closed the key it locked down in
transmit.  Thinking that there was a problem with the key, I tried
another with a different set of long leads, and had the same result.
Then I tried the leads without the key attached, as soon as I touched
the leads together it locked down into transmit again.  The same keys
when connected to the key jack with shorter shielded wire worked OK.
Has this problem come up before?

    Ron VE8RT

Re: K2 hand key problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Ron,

Like other similar problems, we have to determine whether you have a
hardware problem or an RF feedback problem.  The answer to that question
is usually determined by asking you to transmit into a dummy load (with
no other changes).  If you have normal transmit into the dummy load,
then you have to solve the RF Feedback situation coming from your
antenna(s).

OTOH, if the problem persists when transmitting into a dummy load, then
you have a hardware problem to be solved, so post again with the updated
data.

On 6/10/2012 7:55 PM, R Thompson wrote:

>     I was looking to make a contact with my hand key when I ran into an
> unusual problem.  As soon as a I closed the key it locked down in
> transmit.  Thinking that there was a problem with the key, I tried
> another with a different set of long leads, and had the same result.
> Then I tried the leads without the key attached, as soon as I touched
> the leads together it locked down into transmit again.  The same keys
> when connected to the key jack with shorter shielded wire worked OK.
> Has this problem come up before?
>
>      Ron VE8RT

Re: K2 hand key problem

R Thompson
I realized that I hadn't mentioned this, and should have, when I posted
the message.  During trouble isolation I had the power output set to
zero, right at the bottom.  The band in use was 20M.  Shorter shielded
cables, probably didn't matter if it was shielded, worked fine.  It
happened with two different cable sets, one home made, the other with a
molded on connector, with leads maybe 8-10 feet of wire like that used
for light speaker twin-lead.  With the key removed, just touching the
bare wire leads together and moving them apart, fingers off the wires,
would set it off.

Interesting, eh?

         Ron

On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 20:04 -0400, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Like other similar problems, we have to determine whether you have a
> hardware problem or an RF feedback problem.  The answer to that question
> is usually determined by asking you to transmit into a dummy load (with
> no other changes).  If you have normal transmit into the dummy load,
> then you have to solve the RF Feedback situation coming from your
> antenna(s).
>
> OTOH, if the problem persists when transmitting into a dummy load, then
> you have a hardware problem to be solved, so post again with the updated
> data.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 6/10/2012 7:55 PM, R Thompson wrote:
> >     I was looking to make a contact with my hand key when I ran into an
> > unusual problem.  As soon as a I closed the key it locked down in
> > transmit.  Thinking that there was a problem with the key, I tried
> > another with a different set of long leads, and had the same result.
> > Then I tried the leads without the key attached, as soon as I touched
> > the leads together it locked down into transmit again.  The same keys
> > when connected to the key jack with shorter shielded wire worked OK.
> > Has this problem come up before?
> >
> >      Ron VE8RT

Re: K2 hand key problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Ron,

There are failures within the K2 that can lead to a total loss of power
control and if that occurs, the K2 will transmit at its maximum power
even though the power know is set to its lowest position.

So, please do as I have requested, and with that bit of additional
information, please put an external wattmeter between the K2 and the
dummy load so you can report the actual power output.