[K2] headphone jack replacement tips?

John Shadle
I think I finally might get to replacing my failed headphone jack this
weekend. Anyone have any tips for this little job? I recall that there
are more than a few pins to desolder.

Also, does it make sense to not put stress on the headphone jack in
the future by plugging my headphones into the external speaker jack on
the rear of the unit? My headphone cable is plenty long to reach
there, and would rather not have to replace this again in the
future--as it seems to be the case with many folks.

Thanks.
-john W4PAH

Re: [K2] headphone jack replacement tips?

Don Wilhelm-4
  John,

If you have no de-soldering tools, try to get the solder out with wick,
but if that fails, cut the jack apart and remove the pins one at a time.

I don't see any advantage to not using the headphone jack.  Who knows,
the new one may last forever.
There is a finite chance of a future failure, but then everything in the
world carries with it some burden of chance.  We just have to be
practical and take our chances.

On 2/11/2011 12:18 PM, John Shadle wrote:

> I think I finally might get to replacing my failed headphone jack this
> weekend. Anyone have any tips for this little job? I recall that there
> are more than a few pins to desolder.
>
> Also, does it make sense to not put stress on the headphone jack in
> the future by plugging my headphones into the external speaker jack on
> the rear of the unit? My headphone cable is plenty long to reach
> there, and would rather not have to replace this again in the
> future--as it seems to be the case with many folks.
>
> Thanks.
> -john W4PAH

Re: [K2] headphone jack replacement tips?

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [K2] headphone jack replacement tips?

drewko
I wired a headhpone/speaker switch into my K2 when I replaced the
headphone jack.. The switch is mounted on the back panel (in the
unused XVTR hole).

I leave the headphones plugged in all the time and select between
headphones and speaker with the switch, saving a lot of wear and tear
on the new jack. This is also  more convenient because you have to
hold onto the K2 cabinet every time you unplug the phones; it's much
nicer just reaching behind the rig and flicking the switch.

I can send you a drawing/description of the switch wiring if you like.

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:18:17 -0500, you wrote:

>I think I finally might get to replacing my failed headphone jack this
>weekend. Anyone have any tips for this little job? I recall that there
>are more than a few pins to desolder.
>
>Also, does it make sense to not put stress on the headphone jack in
>the future by plugging my headphones into the external speaker jack on
>the rear of the unit? My headphone cable is plenty long to reach
>there, and would rather not have to replace this again in the
>future--as it seems to be the case with many folks.
>
>Thanks.
>-john W4PAH

Re: [K2] headphone jack replacement tips?

ankaka
Most mp3 headphone are made to be light, sound good and designed to break at the plug.
http://www.sencart.com/Supply-earphones-headphones_c27