K2 menu change

Paul-288
Reflector Members,

This weekend I tried to connect two XV transverters to my K2/100.  The K2 is updated and has the 60 meter mods installed.  When I went to the menu and changed Transverter 1 from off to on and then punched in the 5000 as directed I have a soft steady tone from the speaker while in the CW mode.  If the mode is changed to Upper SB then the tone intensifies and gets higher and louder.  When changed to the Lower SB mode the tone is gone.

This all will occur with everything connected to the K2/100 back panel and again with nothing connected to the K2/100 back panel.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Paul
K8QT
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K2 menu change

Don Wilhelm-2
Paul,

While I can't think of any definite reasons, but it sounds like you are
hearing a carrier somewhere near where the K2 input is tuned (28 mHz band).

One question - have you updated your KPA100 with the recent changes or do
you have a recent KPA100?  If not, an artifact from the crystal frequency in
the KPA100 may be what you are hearing - the update changes that crystal
from 16.289 to 18.432 mHz.

Life is what happens when you are making other plans

This weekend I tried to connect two XV transverters to my K2/100.  The K2 is
updated and has the 60 meter mods installed.  When I went to the menu and
changed Transverter 1 from off to on and then punched in the 5000 as
directed I have a soft steady tone from the speaker while in the CW mode.
If the mode is changed to Upper SB then the tone intensifies and gets higher
and louder.  When changed to the Lower SB mode the tone is gone.

This all will occur with everything connected to the K2/100 back panel and
again with nothing connected to the K2/100 back panel.

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K2 menu change

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

> While I can't think of any definite reasons, but it sounds like you are
> hearing a carrier somewhere near where the K2 input is tuned (28 mHz
band).

7th harmonic of the 4 MHz clock in the KPA100?  It runs all the time.
Easily heard at the bottom end of 28 MHz.  Similarly the 4 MHz clock on
the K2 control board.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO