K2 number of parts?

N8CEP
As I was building my K2 tonight, I was wondering if anyone had ever done a parts count for the standard K2/10 without any add ons?

Just curious!

73,   Keith N8CEP

Re: K2 number of parts?

Don Wilhelm-4
Keith,

If one were to feel so moved to do so, it is an easy task, just go
through the parts listing in the manual and sum the quantities column
for all the parts.

On 11/1/2012 10:42 PM, N8CEP wrote:

> As I was building my K2 tonight, I was wondering if anyone had ever done a
> parts count for the standard K2/10 without any add ons?
>
> Just curious!
>
> 73,   Keith N8CEP

Re: K2 number of parts?

Kevin Luxford
If you are building a K2, or any Elecraft product for that matter, the
first thing to do is to do a complete inventory of everything received.
Sometimes, but not often, parts can be missing, or parts like toroidal
cores can be broken in transit, and you can then get replacements from
Elecraft before starting construction.  The K2 resistors are on a
bandolier in the sequence in which they are called for by the
construction manual, but not so the capacitors. Two ways of dealing with
capacitors: (1) get some empty pill bottles and into each put the
capacitors of a given value.  Mark the value on the bottle with a water
insoluble fine felt pen, or, (2) cut a cardboard box around the
perimeter at about half height to reveal the corrugations in the
cardboard.  Then place one leg of each capacitor in the corrugation
voids in the order in which the construction manual calls for them.  (An
old Heathkit trick)  Some sticky tape around the outside of the box
covering the lower part of the exposed capacitor leg will stop them from
falling out should the box be accidentally knocked.

This is quite a lot of work, but it pays dividends in worry-free, easy,
construction.

All the best and 73

Kevin
VK3DAP /  ZL2DAP

Re: K2 number of parts?

Gil G.
Hum, a parts inventory takes a lot of time. I have never done one, either on my K1 or K2, and all the options I added. If something is missing, I am going to notice it at some point during construction, so why do an inventory? I have saved countless hours not doing inventories. It's not like I would send back an incomplete kit anyway… You can always start an inventory of what's left after you find a missing part, which is very rare. That's the only thing from the manuals I don't follow precisely.

Gil.
--
PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

On Nov 2, 2012, at 1:20 AM, Kevin Luxford wrote:

> If you are building a K2, or any Elecraft product for that matter, the
> first thing to do is to do a complete inventory of everything received.

Re: K2 number of parts?

Don Wilhelm-4
Gil and all,

I would not recommend skipping the inventory.  If nothing else,
inventory the capacitors so you know how many you start with.  If you
then find you do not have the capacitor value called for during
construction, you can conclude that you installed an incorrect value
somewhere and go looking for it.

Yes, one of the repair tasks I find on newly built K2s (and K1s and
KX1s) is a capacitor that has an incorrect value.

So bottom line - if you know the parts count is correct before you
start, and the manual calls for a part that you no longer have, you have
put something in the wrong place.

On 11/2/2012 2:13 AM, Gil G. wrote:
> Hum, a parts inventory takes a lot of time. I have never done one, either on my K1 or K2, and all the options I added. If something is missing, I am going to notice it at some point during construction, so why do an inventory? I have saved countless hours not doing inventories. It's not like I would send back an incomplete kit anyway… You can always start an inventory of what's left after you find a missing part, which is very rare. That's the only thing from the manuals I don't follow precisely.

Re: K2 number of parts?

Wayne Conrad
On 11/01/12 23:13, Gil G. wrote:
> ...so why do an inventory?

The last kit I built before the K2 was in the mid 70's, so many of the
K2's components were unfamiliar to me.  Doing an inventory allowed me to
learn how to identify the parts.  In some cases, there were parts that
did not exactly match the description in the manual, but by process of
elimination I was able to tell what those parts were during the
inventory.  It also made the actual build much more relaxing, since I
didn't have to paw through piles of parts over and over to find the next
one.

It turns out I did have a missing part, anyhow.  Finding that out before
soldering saved me from a whole lot of looking at the board with an
OptiVisor trying to find out if I soldered the missing part in the wrong
place.

But that's just me.  I'd probably do an inventory in any case, because I
like being (overly?) organized during a build.

Best Regards,
Wayne Conrad

Re: K2 number of parts?

N8CEP
You are right Don. I could just count them myself. I was just being lazy and wondered if anyone had already done a K2 parts count. If I decide to do it, I will post my result here. (Don't hold your breath!)  :)  By the way, I only did an inventory of the caps.  I agree it helps to know if you got one in the wrong spot. Been there....  done that.....

73,   Keith N8CEP

Re: K2 number of parts?

Bill Frantz
Like Wayne, I like to have a look at each part so I can separate
the similar-looking ones. The capacitors are always good
candidates for this treatment. I found the small screws on my K3
also easier to separate after an inventory.