K2 - static discharge

N2TK
If I picked up a static charge by sliding across my carpet and touched the
mike connector the K2 would reset like I was turning on the power. The outer
metal of the mike connector is not grounded. Touching any other part of the
K2 did not cause any problems.
Soldered a wire to the metal shield of the mike connector and attached the
other end to the ground on the front panel circuit board. No problems
anymore.

N2TK, Tony

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K2 - static discharge

Don Wilhelm-2
Tony and all,

It is my belief that every K2 mic connector should be grounded.  Elecraft
has instructions for grounding the mic jack on the 'KSB2 SSB Adapter notes'
menu fron the Builders Resource page - it is dated 17 Nov 1999 and at that
time the statement that this was a missing step was made, but the
instructions have not made it into either the K2 manual or the KSB2 manual.
It is true that many mics connect the shield to the ground lug inside the
mic connector and do not rely on the shell being grounded, but there are
some that do not.

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans"
(John Lennon wrote it in a book, Mike Cross used it in a song - I don't know
who was first)

> If I picked up a static charge by sliding across my carpet and touched the
> mike connector the K2 would reset like I was turning on the power. The
outer
> metal of the mike connector is not grounded. Touching any other part of
the

> K2 did not cause any problems.
> Soldered a wire to the metal shield of the mike connector and attached the
> other end to the ground on the front panel circuit board. No problems
> anymore.
>
> N2TK, Tony

> You must subscribe to post.
> Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
> Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: K2 - static discharge

N2TK
Tnx for feedback on this. Turns out I did exactly what was in the Builder's
Resource Note.

Looks like everyone should do this

N2TK, Tony