K2 stoppages

bfhawkins
My K2 dies unexpectedly. Everything goes along fine then suddenly there is
no output, and no recieve. I performed the following experiment:

Set the output at 10 watts.
Select the 80 meter band.
Connect the output of the ATU to a dummy load.
Connect the key input to the dit paddle.

I let the dits fly for about 15 minutes and the rig stops. No output,
although the sidetone continues to work. There is no indication of power on
the display, and the receiver has stopped working. I open the dit paddle and
turn the rig off. After a few seconds I turn the rig back on and everything
is OK again. I repeat the experiment on 40 meters and get the same result.

Where should I be looking for the problem?

73 de Ben Hawkins

RE: K2 stoppages

Don Wilhelm-3
Ben,

I can't venture a guess for your exact problem area other than it is
somewhere in the transmit chain of stages. Intermittent behavior is usually
the result of an unsoldered (or poorly soldered connection).

My recommendation is that you build up the RF probe included with the K2 kit
(or use a 'scope), then do whatever you need do to make the failure happen -
then while it is still in failure mode, go through the Transmit
Troubleshooting section of the manual - the first thing you should be trying
to locate is the stage where the signal stops, the stage just before that
point is where the trouble is located.  We can help better once we know the
location.