K2 turning power behavior

S55M
Hello guys!

Question 1:

Today , while testing my K2 with S53WW designed "Javornik" bullet proof 144Mhz transverter (http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53ww/xvrt/xvrt.htm) i found strange (OR MAYBE NORMAL) behavior of K2 while turning Power button.
So...if i press the PTT (dot line on keyer when on USB) without talking (or maybe also with ssb modulation because i did not test it) and turn the power button on 100W and then reduce the power back to minimum my K2 stops transmitting.I must then release the PTT and press it again to go into TX mode.
Is this happening with all K2's?

Question 2:

I am thinking abt routing 2mW 14Mhz signal at the end of BPF's to transverter with 1N4007, like is done all over the K2.
Any sugestions about selecting the rigt ones or it is Ok regardles of type and manufacturer?
What is the attenuation of such switch and how good (bad) is the actual crosstalk?

TNX!

S55M-Adi

Re: K2 turning power behavior

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

<snipo>
So...if i press the PTT (dot line on keyer when on USB) without talking
(or maybe also with ssb modulation because i did not test it) and turn the
power button on 100W and then reduce the power back to minimum my K2 stops
transmitting.I must then release the PTT and press it again to go into TX
mode.
Is this happening with all K2's?
<snipo>

Not on #1400 (external KPA100/KAT100 combo) unless I've read the above
incorrectly.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Re: K2 turning power behavior

Don Nesbitt
Not on mine either.  73  --don n4hh K2/100/KAT100 #2028
> So...if i press the PTT (dot line on keyer when on USB) without talking
> (or maybe also with ssb modulation because i did not test it) and turn the
> power button on 100W and then reduce the power back to minimum my K2 stops
> transmitting.I must then release the PTT and press it again to go into TX
> mode.
> Is this happening with all K2's?
> <snipo>
>
> Not on #1400 (external KPA100/KAT100 combo) unless I've read the above
> incorrectly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: K2 turning power behavior

S55M
OK.I will write it down agn step by step...

1.Turn Power button to 0,1W (full left)

2.Press PTT

3.When on TX without releasing PTT turn power up over 10W limit to turn on
100W PA.

When i do this my K2 stops transmiting above the 10W point (when KPA100
clicks up).
The only thing to do then is to release PTT and press it again and "voila"
on the AIR again.

If i go in reverse direction (turning power from 100Wtts to less then 10W)
everything works fine!

K2 Nr-3204 SW- 1.09 and 2.04

It's not a problem but must be a hint.....

S55M-Adi

> Not on mine either.  73  --don n4hh K2/100/KAT100 #2028

Tom Arntzen
My K2 #3829 with KPA100 act the same way.
Don't think it's a building error.
Maybe something in the software.

Tom LA1PHA

> OK.I will write it down agn step by step...
>

> 1.Turn Power button to 0,1W (full left)
>
> 2.Press PTT
>
> 3.When on TX without releasing PTT turn power up over 10W limit to turn on
> 100W PA.
>
> When i do this my K2 stops transmiting above the 10W point (when KPA100
> clicks up).
> The only thing to do then is to release PTT and press it again and "voila"
> on the AIR again.
>
> If i go in reverse direction (turning power from 100Wtts to less then 10W)
> everything works fine!
>
> K2 Nr-3204 SW- 1.09 and 2.04
>
> It's not a problem but must be a hint.....
>

> S55M-Adi

Stewart Baker
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:45:32 +0100, S55M wrote:

> OK.I will write it down agn step by step...
>

> 1.Turn Power button to 0,1W (full left)
>
> 2.Press PTT
>
> 3.When on TX without releasing PTT turn power up over 10W limit to turn on
> 100W PA.
>
> When i do this my K2 stops transmiting above the 10W point (when KPA100
> clicks up).
> The only thing to do then is to release PTT and press it again and "voila"
> on the AIR again.
>
> If i go in reverse direction (turning power from 100Wtts to less then 10W)
> everything works fine!
>
> K2 Nr-3204 SW- 1.09 and 2.04
>
> It's not a problem but must be a hint.....
>

> S55M-Adi

Adi,
It does that on my K2 with external KPA100 & KAT100 as well.
The KAT100 also indicates LOW power on LED until I release, and then press the
PTT. Bit of a funny with the firmware.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

Re: K2 turning power behavior

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

At the salt mine so not near #1400 at present.

How exactly do you determine that transmission has stopped?  Does the
receive unmute?

On #1400 when I cross the QRP/QRO boundary level, in either direction,
there isn't any unmuting and just for interest I set up as split and
the TX frequency remained selected.

I must confess that the one thing I didn't check for was modulation.
I get the impression that the "feature" is subtle rather than gross.
Will check again at the first opportunity.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:23:49 -0300, Michael Harris wrote:

> G'day,
>
> At the salt mine so not near #1400 at present.
>
> How exactly do you determine that transmission has stopped?  Does the
> receive unmute?
>
> On #1400 when I cross the QRP/QRO boundary level, in either direction,
> there isn't any unmuting and just for interest I set up as split and
> the TX frequency remained selected.
>
> I must confess that the one thing I didn't check for was modulation.
> I get the impression that the "feature" is subtle rather than gross.
> Will check again at the first opportunity.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

If you whistle/speak into the mic you get no RF out !

73
Stewart G3RXQ

Re: K2 turning power behavior

Don Nesbitt
OK - now that I have started from 0.01 and gone UP to 100w with PTT held
closed on usb, mine does the same thing that you describe (stops xmit as
soon as the KPA100 kicks in - still in xmit mode but no power out) AND
starting from 100w and going down to 0.01 it does not do this (ie continues
to xmit throughout the range).  Now I'm not sure just why I'd ever want to
do "up" scenario but since it does not continue to xmit when doing this it
would tend to save a little abuse of the relay contacts.  A nice "feature!"
73  --don n4hh

> My K2 #3829 with KPA100 act the same way.
> Don't think it's a building error.
> Maybe something in the software.
>
> Tom LA1PHA

OK I agree.   Using PTT I can hear my carrier leak on an outboard RX.
When I reduce requested power from 100W past the 10W transition there
isn't any reduction in the signal level.  Increasing the requested power
past the 10W transition the carrier leak decreases and there is no
modulation.  Also there is no transition from Low to High on the KAT100
display as previously mentioned.

Quirky but no big deal and certainly not an operational problem,
particularly on CW where it would never be noticed because of the QSK.  On
SSB just drop the PTT and all is well with the world.

Personally I'd be more interested in the A/B VFO switching remembering
independent mode settings.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:21:58 -0500, Donald Nesbitt wrote:

> OK - now that I have started from 0.01 and gone UP to 100w with PTT held
>
> closed on usb, mine does the same thing that you describe (stops xmit as
> soon as the KPA100 kicks in - still in xmit mode but no power out) AND
> starting from 100w and going down to 0.01 it does not do this (ie continues
> to xmit throughout the range).  Now I'm not sure just why I'd ever want to
> do "up" scenario but since it does not continue to xmit when doing this it
> would tend to save a little abuse of the relay contacts.  A nice "feature!"
> 73  --don n4hh

Good point about the relay preservation.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

A/B VFO Independent Mode Settings

Don Nesbitt
Agreed Mike - I'd like to see this included in the next software release
too.  73 es gud dx --Don N4HH K2/100/KPA100 #2028, etc, etc!

<snip>