K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Stan AE7UT
I'm a fairly new Ham and want a nice portable rig.
I've read all the threads I can find on the K2 vs. KX3 and I'm pretty sure I'm
going to get a KX3 but before I finalize my order I thought I'd see if you guys
think a K2 would be a smarter choice.  I would buy a used K2 or build a new KX3.
I have little to no time to build a K2.

I want a portable rig to take camping and occasionally to the beach or on trips.
I'd say I'll have a deep cycle battery available if I want to lug it along for camping,
but I'd rather use an internal battery.

I've been using a ZS6BKW or a YO-YO inverted V configuration for an antenna.
Mostly working 20, 40, 80 meters.
I do a mix of 50/50 CW SSB.  I've been taking my Ten-Tec Scout or Eagle so far.

Any input would be much appreciated.

73
Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Joel Curneal-2
I built a K2 more than 12 years ago,  and over time added most of the
options and had a great radio.  Due to things that happened a year
ago,  I found myself in your situation,  another K2 or order a KX3
when it was released.  I ordered a KX3 kit a few hours after Elecraft
started taking orders.  Like many others, I am waiting for my KX3 to
be shipped

I feel that the KX3 does much more than even a fully loaded 10 watt K2
in a box that is about 1/4 the size of a K2. Making it much more
suitable for portable use or in a mobile installation.

Joel  --  N1JEO

> I'm a fairly new Ham and want a nice portable rig.
> I've read all the threads I can find on the K2 vs. KX3 and I'm pretty sure
> I'm
> going to get a KX3 but before I finalize my order I thought I'd see if you
> guys
> think a K2 would be a smarter choice.  I would buy a used K2 or build a new
> KX3.
> I have little to no time to build a K2.
>
> I want a portable rig to take camping and occasionally to the beach or on
> trips.
> I'd say I'll have a deep cycle battery available if I want to lug it along
> for camping,
> but I'd rather use an internal battery.
>
> I've been using a ZS6BKW or a YO-YO inverted V configuration for an
> antenna.
> Mostly working 20, 40, 80 meters.
> I do a mix of 50/50 CW SSB.  I've been taking my Ten-Tec Scout or Eagle so
> far.
>
> Any input would be much appreciated.
>
> 73
> Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

k6dgw
Personally, I'd go with a K2 unless 6m is important to you, but I'm
biased ... I love my K2 for field events.  With a KX1, K3/KPA500/P3, and
a KAT500 on order, I'm going to have all the E-radios I'm likely to need
or want.  KX3 is really attractive and I can understand all the buzz
about it, I'm just partial to my K2.  I built it, that's a big part of
it for me, mine is #4398.  The K2 will be cheaper than a KX3, I think
the KX3 may be lighter.  I get plenty of operating time [CW] from an
A123 4S1P LiFePO4 battery that I can charge from my truck.  But, it's
just about impossible to go wrong with anything Elecraft.  Regardless of
which you choose, one of Rose's really cool travel cases is well worth
the money.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

On 5/31/2012 7:52 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm a fairly new Ham and want a nice portable rig.
> I've read all the threads I can find on the K2 vs. KX3 and I'm pretty sure
> I'm
> going to get a KX3 but before I finalize my order I thought I'd see if you
> guys
> think a K2 would be a smarter choice.  I would buy a used K2 or build a new
> KX3.
> I have little to no time to build a K2.

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

wayne burdick
Hi Stan,

The K2 has an optional internal 100-W amplifier and is of course a
full kit. But if 12 W is enough power for your planned usage, and you
wouldn't be building the K2 anyway, I'd suggest going with the KX3.

The KX3 has several advantages: 160-6 meter/all-mode coverage, much
more comprehensive display, data-mode and CW text decode built-in,
advanced DSP and SDR features, and a high-performance attached keyer
paddle. And of course you could put several of them inside a K2 :)

I think of the KX3 as the ultimate portable rig, but of course I'm
biased. I'm sure you'll get a few other opinions.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On May 31, 2012, at 12:52 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm a fairly new Ham and want a nice portable rig.
> I've read all the threads I can find on the K2 vs. KX3 and I'm
> pretty sure
> I'm
> going to get a KX3 but before I finalize my order I thought I'd see
> if you
> guys
> think a K2 would be a smarter choice.  I would buy a used K2 or
> build a new
> KX3.
> I have little to no time to build a K2.
>
> I want a portable rig to take camping and occasionally to the beach
> or on
> trips.
> I'd say I'll have a deep cycle battery available if I want to lug it
> along
> for camping,
> but I'd rather use an internal battery.
>
> I've been using a ZS6BKW or a YO-YO inverted V configuration for an
> antenna.
> Mostly working 20, 40, 80 meters.
> I do a mix of 50/50 CW SSB.  I've been taking my Ten-Tec Scout or
> Eagle so
> far.
>
> Any input would be much appreciated.
>
> 73
> Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Barry N1EU
k6dgw wrote
Regardless of which you choose, one of Rose's really cool travel cases is well worth
the money.
I wanted to check out those cases but the link on Elecraft's home page saying "Dust Covers and carry cases for your K1, K2, K3, KX3 and P3 by Rose Kopp - N7HKW" actually takes you to a Russian site.  Someone must have hacked the Elecraft home page.

The following link, "Additional Pictures of covers and carry cases by Rose Kopp", does work however.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

ny4g
There is something about the intuitive controls and Elegant simplicity of the K2 that I have gotten accustomed to - plus the fact that it I built it from scratch.  I will always have a K2 regardless.  The K2/100 is the icing on the cake.  Just turn the crank and have 100 watts is nice.  Between a k2/100 and a KX3 - get a K2 ESP as a new ham.  Then get a KX3.

Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2012, at 4:59 PM, "FredJensen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personally, I'd go with a K2 unless 6m is important to you, but I'm
> biased ... I love my K2 for field events.  With a KX1, K3/KPA500/P3, and
> a KAT500 on order, I'm going to have all the E-radios I'm likely to need
> or want.  KX3 is really attractive and I can understand all the buzz
> about it, I'm just partial to my K2.  I built it, that's a big part of
> it for me, mine is #4398.  The K2 will be cheaper than a KX3, I think
> the KX3 may be lighter.  I get plenty of operating time [CW] from an
> A123 4S1P LiFePO4 battery that I can charge from my truck.  But, it's
> just about impossible to go wrong with anything Elecraft.  Regardless of
> which you choose, one of Rose's really cool travel cases is well worth
> the money.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org

>> I'm a fairly new Ham and want a nice portable rig.
>> I've read all the threads I can find on the K2 vs. KX3 and I'm pretty sure
>> I'm
>> going to get a KX3 but before I finalize my order I thought I'd see if you
>> guys
>> think a K2 would be a smarter choice.  I would buy a used K2 or build a new
>> KX3.
>> I have little to no time to build a K2.

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Stan AE7UT
Thanks for all the input so far.

I guess part of my partiality to KX3 is that I WOULD build it and that would make it a bit more of a "personal" rig for me.   If that makes sense.

Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

w0mu
KX3.  It is newer.  Not nearly the pieces parts kit that the K2 is.  It
doesn't sound like you were going to build your K2.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com

On 5/31/2012 5:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks for all the input so far.
>
> I guess part of my partiality to KX3 is that I WOULD build it and that would
> make it a bit more of a "personal" rig for me.   If that makes sense.
>

> Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

ny4g
True building is winding toroids and making hundreds of solder joints plus mechanical assembly.  The k2 qualifies as a real home brewed rig for several club contests.  The KX3 is a great rig but does not qualify as a true kit in the eyes of many contest sponsors.

Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2012, at 7:38 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for all the input so far.
>
> I guess part of my partiality to KX3 is that I WOULD build it and that would
> make it a bit more of a "personal" rig for me.   If that makes sense.
>

> Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Rick Stealey

I think I'm right about this. things you get with the stock KX3 that aren't available
on the K2 and that haven't already been mentioned :

General coverage receive,
FM and AM modes
Fantastic noise reduction and noise blanking,
FILTERING, AWESOME ADJUSTABLE FILTERING !
AFX
Notch filtering that REALLY works (if it's like the K3 and I think it is),
Passband tuning,
Rx and Tx 8 band equalizing
Memories by the gazillions,
cw message storage

Is there really any choice?

> I guess part of my partiality to KX3 is that I WOULD build it and that would
> make it a bit more of a "personal" rig for me.   If that makes sense.

Nah.......  Same principle as assembling other things you get in a box, like from Ikea!!
It has already been built and tested by Elecraft, you just assemble it.

Rick  K2XT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Don Baucom
I built a K1 was amazed, then built a K2. There is a classic beauty to the K2, I operated WPX from a upstairs room where the wife was sitting ( counts as quality time) and worked Austrailia and New Zeland on 12W from Sterling Va. What a thrill and I built it. I have been watching the KX3 videos and must say it is really growing on me. I eventually will get one but need to get a K3 first. I think the the KX3 is more of a assembly job. I believe you have to wind coils and solder if your going to say you built it. That said. I would go with the KX3 based on the pure joy I have seen the owners exihibit on You tube.

73
Don
K4YND

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Stan AE7UT
You are correct.  Not a "real" build but for me it would be fun.
I would never consider the K2 a real home brew either though.
No drilling or etching boards.  Everything is laid out for you and
your walked through the build.

I never realized there were contest for home brewed equipment.
That is so cool!  Where and when are those held?

Stan AE7UT

<quote author="ny4g">
True building is winding toroids and making hundreds of solder joints plus mechanical assembly.  The k2 qualifies as a real home brewed rig for several club contests.  The KX3 is a great rig but does not qualify as a true kit in the eyes of many contest sponsors.

Ariel NY4G

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

AF6NI
I'm just finishing the build of a K1 and I have a K2 that I purchased used. I love the K2, it works great, but now I really want to build one of my own.

I enjoy the building and although the KX3 is a lot more radio, I think I would go with the K2 for the building experience.

Good luck.
Joe

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Stan AE7UT
Well just ordered the KX3 today!

Given my time constraints and the my general needs I think
that is the best choice for me.

Thanks so much for all the insight and info.
You guys have been VERY helpful and really help me make up
my mind.

Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 vs. KX3 which would you get?

Stan AE7UT
Oh BTW.
As I'm sure you all know they said 90-120 days until shipment.

Gives me time to sell enough plasma/blood and donate that kidney.

Stan AE7UT