K2 vs. TT OMNI VI+

Martin Kratoska
I don't have a K2 yet but considering to obtain it very soon. I would be
interested to know if some reflectees compared receiver performace of
the TT Omni VI+ and K2 (DR for 2 kHz spacing and phase noise, birdies
etc). Another point of interest is the QSK - I know that the QSK of K2
is good but not astonishing, I am interested on QSK at 40+ wpm.  What is
the upper QSK limit?

Apologies for bandwidth, 73

Martin, OK1RR

Re: K2 vs. TT OMNI VI+

Vic K2VCO
Martin Kratoska wrote:

> Another point of interest is the QSK - I know that the QSK of K2
> is good but not astonishing, I am interested on QSK at 40+ wpm.  What is
> the upper QSK limit?

Hi Martin,

The QSK at that speed may allow you to hear between characters, depending upon
your spacing!  You will not hear between dits above about 20 wpm.  There is a
modification to improve this slightly.

The QSK of the basic K2 is quite smooth and not clicky.  If you add the DSP or
KPA100 you may have to make some minor modifications to keep it that way.

My other rig is a TS850S.  In comparison, the 850 is much faster, but the K2 is
much more comfortable to use in QSK mode, especially on a crowded band.  The
850's QSK becomes noisy when there are a lot of signals close in frequency.  My
choice is the K2.

All of the mods I've mentioned can be found at
<http://www.qsl.net/la3za/K2/mod.html>

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

RE: K2 vs. TT OMNI VI+

Keith Regli
 I haven't done a side by side test yet, but I can give you some
observations...

I built my K2 only a month ago and I've had my two OMNI VI+'s about 4 years.
I mostly do RTTY and CW contesting.  K2 has internal DSP, OMNI has external
Timewave 599zx.

In my casual observation the K2 is a more sensitive receiver.  I think that
in contest conditions the OMNI does a little better with adjacent signals.
Both are easy to use, but I think the K2 is simpler.  The OMNI is a little
more flexible, especially for RTTY.  The K2 takes up about 1/4 the desk
space and the KAT100 is much superior to the AT-11MP that I use with the
OMNI.  I like both radios very much and would be very happy with either -
fortunately I don't have to choose.

Can't comment on the high speed QSK, I haven't been able to copy that fast
for 25 years.

Keith Regli (K7KAR)
mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.kregli.com