K3/0 Forum?

jlbates4
I was wondering why the K3/0 or K3/Remote Ops doesn't have a dedicated forum.  Just a thought...

The reason I ask is that I would really like a better manual for the K3/0.  I have a lot of questions - simple things, like how do I control the LCD display or adjust the LED brightness?  Is there a "local" menu system that allows for K3/0 configuration?

73 de K8OI
K8OI
mailto:jlbates4@gmail.com
(804) 592-1068

Re: K3/0 Forum?

David Christ
I don’t know about a separate forum, but I am going to start looking at a remote installation for when we move into a retirement community and will want to know where the information is to be found.

David K0LUM

> On Oct 11, 2015, at 3:16 PM, jlbates4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was wondering why the K3/0 or K3/Remote Ops doesn't have a dedicated forum.
> Just a thought...
>
> The reason I ask is that I would really like a better manual for the K3/0.
> I have a lot of questions - simple things, like how do I control the LCD
> display or adjust the LED brightness?  Is there a "local" menu system that
> allows for K3/0 configuration?
>
> 73 de K8OI

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Ed Gray W0SD
The lack of a good manual and no diagram for the K3/0 is way......below
the normal Elecraft standards.  It is especially bad if in addition to
remote rig you sometimes want to use the USB cable and remote hams.
There just is no documentation as to what is going on!

Ed W0SD

On 10/11/2015 3:30 PM, David Christ wrote:

> I don’t know about a separate forum, but I am going to start looking at a remote installation for when we move into a retirement community and will want to know where the information is to be found.
>
> David K0LUM
>

>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 3:16 PM, jlbates4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering why the K3/0 or K3/Remote Ops doesn't have a dedicated forum.
>> Just a thought...
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I would really like a better manual for the K3/0.
>> I have a lot of questions - simple things, like how do I control the LCD
>> display or adjust the LED brightness?  Is there a "local" menu system that
>> allows for K3/0 configuration?
>>
>> 73 de K8OI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Barry Baines
Ed:

Part of the “confusion” may be due to how different organizations/groups utilize the remote capabilities of Elecraft products.  Which areas should be the responsibility for documenting which aspect of remote operations?  For example, do you expect Elecraft or Remote Hams to provide appropriate documentation for using the K3/O with a Remote Hams connection?

Second, the K3/O can be ‘connected’ to a K3 through various means.  I would suggest since Elecraft offers the Remote Rig hardware as part of their product line offerings, their focus should be on getting the Remote Rig hardware properly interconnected with the K3 at the radio site as well as the K3/0 at the remote site.  This includes proper remote rig configuration, which can at times be confusing due in part to network issues.

In my opinion, Elecraft does a reasonably good job in their brief documentation in connecting via Remote Rig. I was able to get it done once I dealt with with some network issues.

There is also the question of connecting the K3/0 to a local PC which in turn connects to a PC where the K3 itself is located to provide the connection.  I don’t know how many people use this approach, but the documentation may indeed be in need of improvement.

What is particularly lacking is understanding more complex setups beyond SSB where documentation is needed to explain how to setup digital modes and how to use computers at the remote site to do digital modes.  There is also the question logging using a computer next to the K3/0 which gets into the question of proper com port configuration.  The question of feeding audio and control lines to a PC at the remote using the available connection ports off the K3/O or the Remote Rig “box” is not intuitive, nor is how best to use the two available com ports that can be managed between the remote site and the radio site (ham shack where the K3 is located) to feed data.

Third, we need to remember that the K3/O’s front panel and menus control the K3 that is connected to the antenna.  When you setup filters, set frequencies, set audio levels, etc. on the K3/0, you are directly interacting with the K3 at the ham shack.  Even changing the volume level on the K3/0 to make for a more pleasant listening experience with the K3/0 internal speaker is in fact also changing the audio level of the speaker out of the K3 itself.  That is why I always turn off the powered speakers at the K3 so that varying audio levels don’t result in loud speaker output at the ham shack where the radio is located.

Fourth, for those of us that use the Remote Rig Hardware, there is a Remote Rig forum available through Remote Rig.  There are some issues that more properly handled by the Remote Rig support process, such as how to finagle a connection through hotel WiFi services where a login is required. In my opinion, Remote Rig needs to come up with solutions to these issues, not Elecraft.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Westborough, MA
Folkston, GA (ham shack site)

> On Oct 11, 2015, at 4:56 PM, Ed Gray W0SD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The lack of a good manual and no diagram for the K3/0 is way......below the normal Elecraft standards.  It is especially bad if in addition to remote rig you sometimes want to use the USB cable and remote hams.  There just is no documentation as to what is going on!
>
> Ed W0SD
>
> On 10/11/2015 3:30 PM, David Christ wrote:
>> I don’t know about a separate forum, but I am going to start looking at a remote installation for when we move into a retirement community and will want to know where the information is to be found.
>>
>> David K0LUM
>>

>>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 3:16 PM, jlbates4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was wondering why the K3/0 or K3/Remote Ops doesn't have a dedicated forum.
>>> Just a thought...
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is that I would really like a better manual for the K3/0.
>>> I have a lot of questions - simple things, like how do I control the LCD
>>> display or adjust the LED brightness?  Is there a "local" menu system that
>>> allows for K3/0 configuration?
>>>
>>> 73 de K8OI

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

mailto:jlbates4@gmail.com
(804) 592-1068

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Guy Olinger K2AV
To be practical, there just is no way for a maker of transceivers to keep
up with all 3rd party generators of software/hardware.

We depend on Elecraft engineers to be working on Elecraft products.

Also, there is a 22 page manual for K3/0 and the remote protocol for Remote
Rig, which Elecraft sells and supports at:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K3%20Remote%20Owner's%20Manual%20%20Rev%20D.pdf

I would squeeze out of that whatever you can.

Since they sell RRG, they do have to keep up with RRG.

73, Guy K2AV

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 6:30 PM, jlbates4 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​The reason I was wondering if we should have a decided Forum/Sub Forum for
> this product line :)
>
> ​
>

> > Part of the “confusion” may be due to how different organizations/groups
> > utilize the remote capabilities of Elecraft products.  Which areas should
> > be the responsibility for documenting which aspect of remote operations?
> > For example, do you expect Elecraft or Remote Hams to provide appropriate
> > documentation for using the K3/O with a Remote Hams connection?
> >

> -----
> K8OI
> mailto:[hidden email]
> (804) 592-1068

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Phil Wheeler-2
You could always start a Yahoo Group with such a
focus, ala the ones already there for K3/K3s and KX3.

Here having a single email reflector for all
Elecraft products makes the most sense, IMO.
Separate ones for each product would be a tad messy.

73, Phil W7OX

On 10/11/15 3:30 PM, jlbates4 wrote:

> ​The reason I was wondering if we should have a decided Forum/Sub Forum for
> this product line :)
>
> ​
>

>> Part of the “confusion” may be due to how different organizations/groups
>> utilize the remote capabilities of Elecraft products.  Which areas should
>> be the responsibility for documenting which aspect of remote operations?
>> For example, do you expect Elecraft or Remote Hams to provide appropriate
>> documentation for using the K3/O with a Remote Hams connection?
>>

> -----
> K8OI
> mailto:[hidden email]
> (804) 592-1068

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Hi Jim,

Drop [hidden email] an email with your K3/0, Remoterig and remotehams.com questions. He is responsible for supporting these products, and he also happens to be the author of remonthams.com

73,

Eric
elecraft.com
_..._

> On Oct 11, 2015, at 1:16 PM, jlbates4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was wondering why the K3/0 or K3/Remote Ops doesn't have a dedicated forum.
> Just a thought...
>
> The reason I ask is that I would really like a better manual for the K3/0.
> I have a lot of questions - simple things, like how do I control the LCD
> display or adjust the LED brightness?  Is there a "local" menu system that
> allows for K3/0 configuration?
>
> 73 de K8OI
>

> -----
> K8OI
> mailto:[hidden email]
> (804) 592-1068

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Ed Gray W0SD
I don't want another forum I just want decent documentation on the K3/0
mini in regards to the remotehams software. http://www.remotehams.com

I have two remote rig set ups.  I have used them for several years from
many locations back to my home station.  I have used them with the
computer(TRX manager) I have used them with another K3 and the K3/0
Mini.  I have used them on SSB, CW, RTTY, Digital.  I have used them
remotely with Writelog and done remote contesting. I of course have made
a lot of DX contacts remotely.

You can get help from the Remote Rig forum and the company.  You can
also get help from Elecraft, the e-mails and the K3/0 Mini manual for
using the RRC boxes so it is not bad.  I don't have any big problems
with the K3/0 Mini and the Remote rig boxes although there are some
things missing in the documentation by both companies.

What I am talking about is using the K3/0 mini for
http://www.remotehams.com/ (remotehams)

For example do people know there are several jumpers inside the K3/0
Mini that are totally undocumented in the manual or anyplace else I can
find?  Do people know how to get the K3/0 Mini apart?  It is not sold as
a kit.  There is more but I will leave it at that.

The bottom line is the K3/0 Mini manual in regards to remote hams is
"weak"!  It should at least have a diagram or reference to a diagram on
line. We are not dealing with another hardware product here.  We are
dealing with software that if you go to the site says sponsored by Elecraft.

I should know better than to make a post but I thought I might be able
to get some help for other K3/0 Mini owners or future owners for at
least a schematic  but mainly all I read is defense of the status quo.
I am QRT on this subject.   I will talk to Elecraft support tomorrow.

73

Ed W0SD

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

K1KNQ and I have recently set up W1YL with a K3/0-Mini using and
remotehams.com, and the RCForb software.  In this installation, the
K3/0-Mini is directly connected to a Windows 7 machine via two virtual
comm ports.

W1YL is able to connect to any number of remote stations using the
RCForb software, and has been successful in making a number of CW Qsos
using W8RJ as the remote stn.  In W1YL's case, she is located in an
apartment with good broadband service, but no way to put up an outside
antenna, so the remote set up is a good solution for her.

The only documentation that we had available for doing this installation
was what we found on remotehams.com.  The K3/0-Mini's manual was of
limited help.  In W1YL's case, she had never used a K3, and was totally
unfamiliar with how to operate the K3/0-MIni and its many "tiny and
confusing" controls.  We provided her with copies of some of the more
relevant pages from a K3 manual, but what really brought her up speed
were several training sessions on how to connect to a remote station and
use the K3/0 and its many controls.

It has been an interesting journey.

73, George, K5KG

--
George Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Bill Steffey NY9H
that k3/0 implementation with remotehams.com is wonderful and easy .....

mini notebook w/ wifi
LOAD CLIENT SOFTWARE
    usb to   k3/0 CABLE

plug in mic or headset     DONE

activated the wifi hotspot in my smartphone ...
   and it even works....
so far  just ssb.

bill

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Mike K2MK
Hi Eric,

I must be the only person that hasn't figured out how to read e-mail addresses posted on the reflector. Are you aware that they get truncated and/or hidden? It would be very helpful if posters would spell out the e-mail address in a manner similar to this:

k2mk at comcast dot not

73,
Mike K2MK

<quote author="Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft">
Hi Jim,

Drop [hidden email] an email with your K3/0, Remoterig and remotehams.com questions. He is responsible for supporting these products, and he also happens to be the author of remonthams.com

73,

Eric
elecraft.com

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Scott Manthe-2
It might be something with your client, Mike. I guess is could also be a
Windows security "feature." Email addresses are not truncated here with
Thunderbird and OSX. The rest of Brandon's email is elecraft.com

73,
Scott N9AA

On 10/12/15 9:54 AM, Mike K2MK wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I must be the only person that hasn't figured out how to read e-mail
> addresses posted on the reflector. Are you aware that they get truncated
> and/or hidden? It would be very helpful if posters would spell out the
> e-mail address in a manner similar to this:
>
> k2mk at comcast dot not
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> Drop brandon@ an email with your K3/0, Remoterig and remotehams.com
> questions. He is responsible for supporting these products, and he also
> happens to be the author of remonthams.com
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
> elecraft.com

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Mike,

I don't know what email client you are using, but I am using
Thunderbird, and that email address in Eric's post came through loud and
clear - It was even underlined and colored in blue.
Bottom line, that is not being done by the Elecraft reflector - it must
be something in your email client that is causing the addresses to be
truncated.
OTOH, I notice you are responding through Nabble -  it may be a
"feature" of Nabble - I receive my Elecraft posts directly from the
reflector - mailman.qth.net.

On 10/12/2015 9:54 AM, Mike K2MK wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I must be the only person that hasn't figured out how to read e-mail
> addresses posted on the reflector. Are you aware that they get truncated
> and/or hidden? It would be very helpful if posters would spell out the
> e-mail address in a manner similar to this:
>
> k2mk at comcast dot not
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> Drop brandon@ an email with your K3/0, Remoterig and remotehams.com
> questions. He is responsible for supporting these products, and he also
> happens to be the author of remonthams.com

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Mike K2MK
Hi Scott,

I chose not to receive postings through my e-mail. I look at the postings on either:

http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/maillist.html

or

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

Obviously those two services do the truncating. I guess I should rephrase my querie to ask if I'm the only guy not receiving postings through e-mail.

73,
Mike K2MK

Scott Manthe-2 wrote
It might be something with your client, Mike. I guess is could also be a
Windows security "feature." Email addresses are not truncated here with
Thunderbird and OSX. The rest of Brandon's email is elecraft.com

73,
Scott N9AA

On 10/12/15 9:54 AM, Mike K2MK wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I must be the only person that hasn't figured out how to read e-mail
> addresses posted on the reflector. Are you aware that they get truncated
> and/or hidden? It would be very helpful if posters would spell out the
> e-mail address in a manner similar to this:
>
> k2mk at comcast dot not
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK

Re: K3/0 Forum?

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Of course, anyone can set up a forum, but every time you do you divide
the knowledge pool.