K3/0 - How to enable left side mic?

jlbates4
I'm beyond frustrated...

Situation:  I've got a K3/0 attached to Remote Rig boxes to my K3 in the shack.  MH2 mike works perfectly.  Headset plugged into the left SPKR jack works fine.

No matter what I do, I can NOT get any audio transmitted from the left MIC connector!

I've tried using 2 types of heil headsets - iC & HC4/5; I've detached the MH2 mike and tried it; I've removed the RRC cable and configured the mic input to RF.L, RF.H, RP.L, RP.H, Line In all to no avail!

Can anybody please help me with a suggestion?

Jim - K8OI
K8OI
mailto:jlbates4@gmail.com
(804) 592-1068

Re: K3/0 - How to enable left side mic?

jlbates4
Sorry - I have a K3/Mini not a K3/0...
K8OI
mailto:jlbates4@gmail.com
(804) 592-1068

Re: K3/0 - How to enable left side mic?

Oliver Dröse
Jim,

the menu settings RF.L, RF.H, etc. only effect the remote K3, *not* the
mini! So do not change them, they need to be configured as needed on the
remote side.

For the mini there's no selection. The front panel mic socket is enabled
as long as you do not plug-in anything into the left mic socket. As soon
as you do it will disable the front panel socket and take audio from the
3,5 mm plug.

Internal to the K3/0 mini is a jumper that sets mic bias for the 3,5 mm
socket. Maybe you need to check if it is set accordingly. Mine was, I
had to disable it to allow me using my non-electret mic there.

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 27.02.2016 um 20:16 schrieb jlbates4:

> I'm beyond frustrated...
>
> Situation:  I've got a K3/0 attached to Remote Rig boxes to my K3 in the
> shack.  MH2 mike works perfectly.  Headset plugged into the left SPKR jack
> works fine.
>
> No matter what I do, I can NOT get any audio transmitted from the left MIC
> connector!
>
> I've tried using 2 types of heil headsets - iC & HC4/5; I've detached the
> MH2 mike and tried it; I've removed the RRC cable and configured the mic
> input to RF.L, RF.H, RP.L, RP.H, Line In all to no avail!
>
> Can anybody please help me with a suggestion?
>
> Jim - K8OI
>

> -----
> K8OI
> mailto:[hidden email]
> (804) 592-1068

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 - How to enable left side mic?

JOE-2
The manual for the K3/0 says:
"It uses its internal speaker and front headphone jack for receive
audio, and its front
microphone connector for your mic input."

In other words you need to use the front mike connector on the K3/0.
The mike connector on the back of the K3/0 is actually an output to the
RemoteRig box.  This is different than the back of your K3/10 K3/100
radio, where it is an input.  You need the special E85051 (or homemade
equivalent) cable that connects the K3/0 "SPKRS" and "PTT IN" to the
RRC1258 "AUX/MIC" jack. BTW, the "PTT IN" on the K3/0 is actually a PTT
output from the K3/0 to the RRC1258.

You may be able to make a direct connection to the RRC1258 "AUX/MIC" for
your headset.  I've never done this, but it may be possible.

The HM2 mike is an Electret that needs bias on.  Both Heils are probably
Dynamic and need bias off.  You'll have to check the Heil literature. I
don't know how bias is controlled in the K3/0 so I don't know how bias
on/off woks at the K3/0 but it's worth mentioning as a possible problem.

If you are using the E850511 that came from Elecraft, there is a
possibility of a "digital noise" problem.  The pairs used for mike audio
are split between two pairs, causing an imbalance.  This may or may not
show up in your K3/0.

There is also a small noise problem in the E980207 speaker cable that
goes between the K3/0 and the RRC1258.  I fixed that with isolation
transformers.

73, Joe, K1ike

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3/0 - How to enable left side mic?

jlbates4
To All,
I sent a support request to Elecraft regarding my issue and they replied with the following:

======== Start E-Mail Here ===========
Hi Jim,

From what you indicated, your Bias is turned ON for the MH2. If you are using headsets which require Bias, this is important.

You can either use VOX or connect a footswitch to the back of the Mini (PTT) to place the Mini in transmit. The XMIT/tune button can not be used for PTT.

The microphone should have a mono 3.5 mm plug. That would go into the MIC jack on the side of the Mini.

Let me know if this helps.

--------------------------
Craig Smith W6WL
Elecraft Customer Support
831-763-4211 x 174
--------------------------
======== End E-Mail Here ===========

I wired up a PTT using the K3/0-Mini "PTT" jack on the rear; plugged my headset/mic into the left MIC/SPKR jacks and it WORKED...

Apparently, you MUST use the hardline PTT for the K3/0-Mini to accept MIC input from the left side jacks.  Pressing the XMIT button and using CAT control did NOT enable the headset mic to work...

The question remains - why would the design require a dedicated PTT for headset use?  I thought plugging the headset into the left MIC jack "disabled" the front panel MIC (8 pin) jack...

Anyway, I did want to share with the the group.

73 de K8OI

---
Jim Bates
(804) 592-1068

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM, JOE-2 [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-0-How-to-enable-left-side-mic-tp7614691p7614736.html
To unsubscribe from K3/0 - How to enable left side mic?, click here.
NAML

K8OI
mailto:jlbates4@gmail.com
(804) 592-1068

Re: K3/0 - How to enable left side mic?

JOE-2
Hello Jim,

My post was regarding the K3/0 and you have the Mini.  It looks like
they are two different animals and the mike connection is different.

73, Joe, K1ike