K3/100 S/N 2295 back on line

Jim Spears
Thanks to Gregg for suggesting that I hold the power button for 10 seconds
after power on.  It is unclear that this truly fixed the problem or enabled
download but it is true that after several tries, I was able to successfully
reload all firmware and the radio is back on line.

Geez, sure would hate to have to do this in middle of a contest or other
important activity!  Wonder what happened to cause the K3 to go into such a
state that it was very difficult to recover from.

Jim

N1NK

Re: K3/100 S/N 2295 back on line

Gregg W6IZT
Hard to say Jim. I have had my K3 since Nov 2007 and it only happened once
and the one time that it did happen I neglected to close one of the
applications that poll the K3. So I will chalk that one up to operator
error.

Glad that you were able to resolve your issue.

73
Gregg

Re: K3/100 S/N 2295 back on line

Bob Naumann W5OV
Jim,

Your mention of an initial observation of an RS232 problem is a "red flag"
clue.

"First I had trouble getting the PC to K3 serial port communication going.
This will be subject of another, less urgent, request".

Since the radio can be controlled by the RS232 port, if it is in a bad or
unknown state, you may not be able to override it manually - as you
apparently found out.

73,

Bob W5OV