K3 100W recommended fusing

Chris Kimball
I hoping to buy a 100W version of the K3 next year.  I note recommendation that the rig be fused on both sides of the 12 V supply line.  What is the recommended fuse type and rating for this application?

Re: K3 100W recommended fusing

Robin Moseley
let me google this for you..
http://bfy.tw/3D2O
25A  fuses for 25A current

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/fuse-size-td468967.html

Robin G1MHU

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 100W recommended fusing

k6dgw
TYPE:  The automotive flat inline-blade type seem to be best [RigRunner
uses them].  Very large [relative to other designs] contact area, very
strong wiping-action on insertion and removal.  Not gas-tight, I pull
and reinsert mine every now and then, when I think about it.

RATING:  Since we're fusing the primary power, I think the old ROT [rule
of thumb] has been 125-150% of the likely normal maximum load current.
That of course depends on the configuration of the K3.  My K3/100 has
been fused at 25A for years.  That's close to 150% of key-down.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

On 12/9/2015 4:00 PM, Chris Kimball wrote:
> I hoping to buy a 100W version of the K3 next year.  I note recommendation
> that the rig be fused on both sides of the 12 V supply line.  What is the
> recommended fuse type and rating for this application?

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 100W recommended fusing

Rick Tavan-2
I'll second the motion on automotive blade fuses. And Heath Tech (aka High
Sierra Communication Products) currently has a great special offer on an
assortment of high values (5A and up - $9.73 for 120 fuses). Anyone know of
a similar assortment of low values (<5A) at any reasonable price?

/Rick N6XI

--

Rick Tavan
Truckee, CA