[K3] 12v outlet only puting out 11 volts

[K3] 12v outlet only puting out 11 volts

mike
Unable to run P3/VGA from K3 12v output for K3 serial number #5981. Only seeing 11 volts when the K3 sees 12.5 volts.

Re: [K3] 12v outlet only puting out 11 volts

Alan Bloom
The P3 should work fine with 11V.  When I tested mine it worked down to
about 6V or so, although that is not guaranteed.

It is normal for the K3 power connector to show a voltage drop compared
to the 12V input connector, although 1.5V drop seems kind of high.
Could some of that drop be in the power cable?

Alan N1AL

On 02/17/2014 08:20 AM, mike wrote:

> Unable to run P3/VGA from K3 12v output for K3 serial number #5981. Only
> seeing 11 volts when the K3 sees 12.5 volts.

Re: [K3] 12v outlet only puting out 11 volts

Jim Sheldon
He's got the SVGA board in the P3.  If he hasn't done the higher current mod to the K3 to get enough current out of that jack to run the P3 and SVGA, chances are it will trip the auto resetting fuse in the K3.  I didn't do the mod to mine when I got the SVGA board, I just connected the P3 directly to my power supply terminals rather than open up the K3 at the time.

Jim  - W0EB

> The P3 should work fine with 11V.  When I tested mine it worked
> down to about 6V or so, although that is not guaranteed.
>
> It is normal for the K3 power connector to show a voltage drop
> compared to the 12V input connector, although 1.5V drop seems kind
> of high. Could some of that drop be in the power cable?
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 02/17/2014 08:20 AM, mike wrote:
>> Unable to run P3/VGA from K3 12v output for K3 serial number
>> #5981. Only seeing 11 volts when the K3 sees 12.5 volts.
>>

>> --
>> mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [K3] 12v outlet only puting out 11 volts

mike
Thanks for the replies. I have gone ahead and connected the P3/VGA to my 12v distribution panel. I plan on installing the 2 meter module in the K3 later this week or next. I will check and see if the 12v upgrade was ever done when I get the rig open again. I would have thought the newer K3 would have received the upgrade when built by Elecraft. Maybe not.

..mike  AI6II

Re: [K3] 12v outlet only puting out 11 volts

Bill Frantz
K2 6299 had the aux power out mod installed on the factory supplied card.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

On 2/17/14 at 11:26 AM, [hidden email] (mike) wrote:

> I will check and see if the 12v upgrade was ever done
> when I get the rig open again. I would have thought the newer K3 would have
> received the upgrade when built by Elecraft.

Re: [K3] 12v outlet only puting out 11 volts

Richard Fjeld
Unless the circuit has been changed since my radio, I seem to recall two diodes in series in the path to the 12V out jack.  A silicon diode can drop the voltage .7 of a volt (times two).

Dick, n0ce