K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Jim - W6VAR
I updated the firmware to 3.04 last night. Today, after I tune, I get no or low power out indicated on the RF meter in SSB. Keying down momentarily restores power in SSB.

Are others experiencing this?

Jim
W6VAR K3 1644

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Augie "Gus" Hansen
Jim - W6VAR wrote:
> I updated the firmware to 3.04 last night. Today, after I tune, I get no or low power out indicated on the RF meter in SSB. Keying down momentarily restores power in SSB.
>
> Are others experiencing this?

Yes, I've had the same problem, especially when operating split on 40
meters.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

David Gilbert

I've been running v3.04 during the CQ WPX contest (7 hours of heavy use
so far) and have had no problems with it at all.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Augie Hansen wrote:

> Jim - W6VAR wrote:
>
>> I updated the firmware to 3.04 last night. Today, after I tune, I get no or low power out indicated on the RF meter in SSB. Keying down momentarily restores power in SSB.
>>
>> Are others experiencing this?
>>

> Yes, I've had the same problem, especially when operating split on 40
> meters.
>
> Gus Hansen
> KB0YH

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Dave, G4AON
I assume by "after I tune" you mean pressing the XMIT/TUNE button to
create a CW carrier at some level between 20 Watts and 100 Watts. I've
tried various combinations of power and both the actual measured output
and the indicated output on the K3 are both fine. No problem here at all.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80, f/w 3.04

Dave G4AON wrote:
> I assume by "after I tune" you mean pressing the XMIT/TUNE button to
> create a CW carrier at some level between 20 Watts and 100 Watts. I've
> tried various combinations of power and both the actual measured output
> and the indicated output on the K3 are both fine. No problem here at all.

My K3 has a KAT3 installed. When operating split on 40 meters it is
necessary to tune one of my TX antennas. Following the successful tune
operation (1:1 match) an attempt to call results in very low (<2 watts)
output power. Neither talking nor whistling causes the power to return
to 100 watts. I have to swap VFOs, switch to CW and key the rig to get
the power back to the requested value. Then, of course, return to LSB
mode, swap VFOs back so that I'm transmitting on the correct frequency.

Based on Jim's description I believe he is having the same problem.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Bill N2BC
Augie Hansen wrote:

> Dave G4AON wrote:
>
>> I assume by "after I tune" you mean pressing the XMIT/TUNE button to
>> create a CW carrier at some level between 20 Watts and 100 Watts. I've
>> tried various combinations of power and both the actual measured output
>> and the indicated output on the K3 are both fine. No problem here at all.
>>

> My K3 has a KAT3 installed. When operating split on 40 meters it is
> necessary to tune one of my TX antennas. Following the successful tune
> operation (1:1 match) an attempt to call results in very low (<2 watts)
> output power. Neither talking nor whistling causes the power to return
> to 100 watts. I have to swap VFOs, switch to CW and key the rig to get
> the power back to the requested value. Then, of course, return to LSB
> mode, swap VFOs back so that I'm transmitting on the correct frequency.
>
> Based on Jim's description I believe he is having the same problem.
>
> Gus Hansen
> KB0YH

I see a power cutback after KAT3 tune also - not as dramatic as Gus
describes.    Not using SPLIT.

Using the 2TONE test signal on SSB yields ~100W, tune the KAT3 and 2TONE
test again yields ~65W.  Change to CW, tap the key, back to SSB and I
get ~100W.   All this into a dummy load & on any band.

Other observations:
If you tune the KAT3 then bypass the KAT3 it still only outputs ~65W.  I
also tried various settings of TUN PWR (10, 2, & NOR), all acted the same.

Works OK on FW2.82,  'fails' on FW3.03 and FW3.04

73, Bill  N2BC

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

KK7P
Thank you for the observations on SSB Power Control before and after
KAT3 tuning or when in bypass.  We'll be looking more closely at this
next week.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Nick Lekic
Same problem here Bill

Low power output (40watts - 60watts) after using the tuner.  CW produces
full output.

73,  Nick
ve3ey

On 3/28/2009 10:03 AM, Bill Coleman wrote:

> Augie Hansen wrote:
>
>> Dave G4AON wrote:
>>

>>> I assume by "after I tune" you mean pressing the XMIT/TUNE button to
>>> create a CW carrier at some level between 20 Watts and 100 Watts. I've
>>> tried various combinations of power and both the actual measured output
>>> and the indicated output on the K3 are both fine. No problem here at all.
>>>

>> My K3 has a KAT3 installed. When operating split on 40 meters it is
>> necessary to tune one of my TX antennas. Following the successful tune
>> operation (1:1 match) an attempt to call results in very low (<2 watts)
>> output power. Neither talking nor whistling causes the power to return
>> to 100 watts. I have to swap VFOs, switch to CW and key the rig to get
>> the power back to the requested value. Then, of course, return to LSB
>> mode, swap VFOs back so that I'm transmitting on the correct frequency.
>>
>> Based on Jim's description I believe he is having the same problem.
>>
>> Gus Hansen
>> KB0YH
>>

> I see a power cutback after KAT3 tune also - not as dramatic as Gus
> describes.    Not using SPLIT.
>
> Using the 2TONE test signal on SSB yields ~100W, tune the KAT3 and 2TONE
> test again yields ~65W.  Change to CW, tap the key, back to SSB and I
> get ~100W.   All this into a dummy load&  on any band.
>
> Other observations:
> If you tune the KAT3 then bypass the KAT3 it still only outputs ~65W.  I
> also tried various settings of TUN PWR (10, 2,&  NOR), all acted the same.
>
> Works OK on FW2.82,  'fails' on FW3.03 and FW3.04
>
> 73, Bill  N2BC

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

K8RDD
I can turn up the power control and it will increase to where it should be,
even though the power control is allready set to 120w. After a turn or two
the power goes back to approx. 100w. I can tap tune again and it will drop
to approx 30 w peak on ssb. Talk and turn the power adjust up, even though
it says 120w brings the power back up. It's then OK until I tap tune again!
Randy
K8RDD
> Low power output (40watts - 60watts) after using the tuner.  CW produces
> full output.
>
> 73,  Nick
> ve3ey
>

> On 3/28/2009 10:03 AM, Bill Coleman wrote:
>> Augie Hansen wrote:

>>> My K3 has a KAT3 installed. When operating split on 40 meters it is
>>> necessary to tune one of my TX antennas. Following the successful tune
>>> operation (1:1 match) an attempt to call results in very low (<2 watts)
>>> output power. Neither talking nor whistling causes the power to return
>>> to 100 watts. I have to swap VFOs, switch to CW and key the rig to get
>>> the power back to the requested value. Then, of course, return to LSB
>>> mode, swap VFOs back so that I'm transmitting on the correct frequency.
>>>
>>> Based on Jim's description I believe he is having the same problem.
>>>
>>> Gus Hansen
>>> KB0YH
>>>

>> I see a power cutback after KAT3 tune also - not as dramatic as Gus
>> describes.    Not using SPLIT.
>>
>> Using the 2TONE test signal on SSB yields ~100W, tune the KAT3 and 2TONE
>> test again yields ~65W.  Change to CW, tap the key, back to SSB and I
>> get ~100W.   All this into a dummy load&  on any band.
>>
>> Other observations:
>> If you tune the KAT3 then bypass the KAT3 it still only outputs ~65W.  I
>> also tried various settings of TUN PWR (10, 2,&  NOR), all acted the
>> same.
>>
>> Works OK on FW2.82,  'fails' on FW3.03 and FW3.04
>>
>> 73, Bill  N2BC
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Ruben Navarro Huedo-2
Same here.

--
Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
http://www.palotes.com

amp tune

Jeff kb2m
I'm trying to setup my K3 to tune my tube amp. I have TUN PWR set to 25
watts. when I long press the tune button the K3 goes into transmit at the
selected 25 watts, in CW mode, but the amp doesn't key. If I press the PTT
on the mic the amp goes into tx. I must have a menu set wrong? The only
connection to the amp (other then the coax!) is the RCA connector key out on
the K3. on  Tuner is in bypass, ext ALC is OFF. Any ideas??

73 Jeff kb2m

Re: amp tune

Carl Clawson
I've noticed a similar inconvenience. The problem for me is that Tune will
not activate if PTT is asserted at the rear panel. In my station I don't
have the amp hooked up to the Key Out of the radio. I have a foot switch
that asserts PTT to the K3, puts the amp in transmit, and switches the T/R
relays. Hit the foot switch and Tune won't do anything. I work around it by
using CW mode and a straight key.

Your problem may be that Tune does not assert Key Out, but I've never
checked into that. I'll find out soon because I'm working on a faster T/R
switch with electronic amp bias control so that Key Out controls everything.
Then I can get rid of the foot switch.

73 & thanks for listening
Carl WS7L
K3 #486, one year old and still making Dad very happy.

Re: amp tune

Dave, G4AON
Jeff, sounds like you are connecting your linear keying line to "PTT IN"
and not "KEY OUT" as you think you are... Check the connection.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80, Acom 1000
----------------------------------

I'm trying to setup my K3 to tune my tube amp. I have TUN PWR set to 25
watts. when I long press the tune button the K3 goes into transmit at the
selected 25 watts, in CW mode, but the amp doesn't key. If I press the PTT
on the mic the amp goes into tx. I must have a menu set wrong? The only
connection to the amp (other then the coax!) is the RCA connector key out on
the K3. on Tuner is in bypass, ext ALC is OFF. Any ideas??

73 Jeff kb2m

Re: amp tune

Doug Joyce
Jeff:  Check also the keying requirements for your tube amp and ensure that
they are within the switching range of the K3 - i.e. 0 to +200Vdc and less
than 5 A.  Note that the K3 is not designed to key a negative voltage that
some of the old tube amps provided.

Good Luck

Doug,  VE3MV
K3/100  #2432

> Jeff, sounds like you are connecting your linear keying line to "PTT IN"
> and not "KEY OUT" as you think you are... Check the connection.
>
> 73 Dave, G4AON
> K3/100 #80, Acom 1000
> ----------------------------------
>
> I'm trying to setup my K3 to tune my tube amp. I have TUN PWR set to 25
> watts. when I long press the tune button the K3 goes into transmit at the
> selected 25 watts, in CW mode, but the amp doesn't key. If I press the PTT
> on the mic the amp goes into tx. I must have a menu set wrong? The only
> connection to the amp (other then the coax!) is the RCA connector key out
on

> the K3. on Tuner is in bypass, ext ALC is OFF. Any ideas??
>
> 73 Jeff kb2m

Re: amp tune

Jeff kb2m
Thanks for all the replies to my 'problem'. Dave was right I had the amp key
rca cable plugged into the PTT jack. All is well in kb2mland once again...

73 Jeff kb2m

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

K8RDD
I've switched back to fw2r80. It seems for me to be the most stable on tx
ssb.
fw3r04 is very squirrelly on ssb.
Randy
K8RDD

--
Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
http://www.palotes.com

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Julius Fazekas n2wn
Llye,
FWIW, I am experiencing the same issue running QRP with the KAT3, when it is in use, in 3.03

It does not seem to happen when the KAT3 is bypassed. Engaging the main TUNE button (not the KAT tune), seems to put it back to normal.

Now if I can figure out why my "two" sounds like "zero" *sigh*

73,
Julius

Lyle Johnson wrote
Thank you for the observations on SSB Power Control before and after
KAT3 tuning or when in bypass.  We'll be looking more closely at this
next week.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html

Tennessee QSO Party
http://www.tnqp.org/

Elecraft K2        #4455
Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3/100

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

Robert Friess
There are two menu entrys that effect power in addition to the front
panel PWR control. There may be interaction between these in certain
combinations of settings or BAND and MODE.

 Wayne has limited internet access this weekend and has asked me to
request  information from those who are experiencing this problem.
Please send your settings for the following.

Config TUN PWR

Config PWR SET

Band and Mode

and front panel PWR control.

Please send this information to [hidden email]

Thanks,

73, Bob N6CM

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Julius Fazekas n2wn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Llye,
> FWIW, I am experiencing the same issue running QRP with the KAT3, when it is in use, in 3.03
>
> It does not seem to happen when the KAT3 is bypassed. Engaging the main TUNE button (not the KAT tune), seems to put it back to normal.
>
> Now if I can figure out why my "two" sounds like "zero" *sigh*
>
> 73,
> Julius
>

> Thank you for the observations on SSB Power Control before and after
> KAT3 tuning or when in bypass.  We'll be looking more closely at this
> next week.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

> -----
> Julius Fazekas
> N2WN
>
> Tennessee Contest Group
> http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html
>
> Tennessee QSO Party
> http://www.tnqp.org/
>
> Elecraft K2/100 #4455
> Elecraft K3/100 #366

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

ab2tc
Hi,

I also have this problem that SSB power is low following the use of "TUNE". I don't have the built in tuner. I use the tune ("hold") function to generate 10W CW for my external remote auto-tuner. In the contest I got into the habit of doing a power cycle after tuning (I now see that there are better ways which helps. I have also observed the slow creeping up of power over several transmissions until it eventually recovers fully. I don't have any precision instrumentation to measure peak power. I just observe the average power on my analog SWR meter and I estimate I start out at 2/3 of what is should be after using tune. I join others in hoping for a quick resolution to this.

Robert Friess wrote
There are two menu entrys that effect power in addition to the front
panel PWR control. There may be interaction between these in certain
combinations of settings or BAND and MODE.

 Wayne has limited internet access this weekend and has asked me to
request  information from those who are experiencing this problem.
Please send your settings for the following.

<snip>

Re: K3 3.04 Power Output After Tune

E72X
Yes, I've had the same problem, after I tune , I get low power out indicated....

Gordan,
e72x,

Jim - W6VAR wrote
I updated the firmware to 3.04 last night. Today, after I tune, I get no or low power out indicated on the RF meter in SSB. Keying down momentarily restores power in SSB.

Are others experiencing this?

Jim
W6VAR K3 1644
12