K3 Beta firmware Rev. 3.04: AGC fixed; various improvements

K3 Beta firmware Rev. 3.04: AGC fixed; various improvements

wayne burdick
Administrator
K3 beta-test firmware revision 3.04 (with DSP rev 2.11) is now
available.

The most noticeable change is that the problem with normal AGC decay
(CONFIG:AGC DCY=NOR) has been fixed; you can now use NOR or SOFT decay.
(SOFT decay is designed for use in pileups, but also improves fidelity
in voice modes.) Other changes are noted in the release notes, below.

Please send any problem reports to [hidden email]. For
instructions on how to load beta firmware, please see:

     http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm

We recommend that you use the latest revision of K3 Utility, which can
also be found on the K3 software page.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

* * *

MCU 3.04 / DSP 2.11  March 25, 2009

Misc. Improvements:

* DSP AGC FIXED: You can now use the original fast and slow AGC decay
setting (CONFIG:AGC DCY = NOR) if desired. In pileups or when listening
to voice signals, try setting AGC DCY to SOFT. This can reduce in-band
IMD by 15-25 dB. Also see release notes for rev 3.03/2.10 concerning
AGC HLD and overall AGC options.

* TUNING JUMPS DUE TO SPURIOUS SIGNAL REMOVAL: The use of CONFIG:SIG
RMV no longer causes frequency tuning errors in USB and CW REV modes.

* MEMORY RECALL: This now preserves all settings that should be
per-band (not per-memory), including PRE/ATTN and sub antenna
selection.

* BSET INTERACTION WITH RIT/XIT: Using BSET no longer causes an
unwanted change in RIT/XIT settings.

* FIXED FA/FB COMMANDS AND 1-HZ TUNING: Non-zero 1-Hz digits are now
preserved when FA/FB commands are received and FINE tuning is in
effect.

* ANT NAME FLASH: The antenna name is no longer flashed when A/B or REV
are used. It is still flashed on any band or antenna change.

Re: K3 Beta firmware Rev. 3.04: AGC fixed; various improvements

ab2tc
Hi all,

I just made the upgrade to  3.04 after a long period of skipping upgrades. I am very happy to report that the A/B VFO switch now works across bands *without* having the sub-receiver. I am not sure why Elecraft has been so reluctant to announce this but that is water under the bridge, so now the A/B switch works the way I and many others expect it to. I notice that split mode is not available when VFOs are on different bands, but that is OK for now. Maybe this restriction can be lifted when both VFO's are in SSB mode, but to me it's no big deal.

wayne burdick wrote
K3 beta-test firmware revision 3.04 (with DSP rev 2.11) is now
available.

Re: K3 Beta firmware Rev. 3.04: AGC fixed; various improvements

wayne burdick
Administrator
Guess I forgot that it didn't work right before :)

Have fun--

Wayne
N6KR

ab2tc wrote:

> I just made the upgrade to 3.04 after a long period of skipping
> upgrades. I am very happy to report that the A/B VFO switch now works
> across bands *without* having the sub-receiver. I am not sure why
> Elecraft has been so reluctant to announce this...

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: [Elecraft] K3 Beta firmware Rev. 3.04: AGC fixed; various improvements

ab2tc
Hi Wayne,

Another minor quirk to report regarding the cross band A/B switching. If
the B VFO is on another band, pressing the A->B button causes a minor
pause in the audio. No relays clicking but a definite pause in the
audio. No big deal at all, but when A and B are on the same band, this
does not occur.

Knut - AB2TC

wayne burdick (via Nabble) wrote:

> Guess I forgot that it didn't work right before :)
>
> Have fun--
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> ab2tc wrote:
>
> > I just made the upgrade to 3.04 after a long period of skipping
> > upgrades. I am very happy to report that the A/B VFO switch now works
> > across bands *without* having the sub-receiver. I am not sure why
> > Elecraft has been so reluctant to announce this...
>

> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K3 Beta firmware Rev. 3.04: Crossband A/B switch audio pause

Guy, K2AV
Crossband A/B was quite worse in one of the early band independence beta's
and issues were reported to Elecraft.  Somewhere in there Wayne cleaned up
some artifacts in the switch (e.g. could hear the oscillator settle in) and
significantly tightened the times -- the pause currently appears to be quite
short.

Rig has to flip a lot of data and settle a lot of circuit states in an A/B
crossband switch.  But there is a clearly longer pause to RX when one does a
straight band change.  It is interesting that noone has reported the pause
for band change, as if we clearly expect that.

Just went through and rechecked and remeasured all the timings in firmware
3.04.  Using Spectrogram 15 audio breaks show up very clearly and can be
measured. The pauses are consistent for the kind of switching done.

On my K3 #1239 an A/B crossband switch (80/40) creates an audio pause of 230
milliseconds.  A straight band change on the other hand (which moves the
main RX/TX but leaves the sub RX where it was) creates an audio pause of
700 milliseconds.

As you report, an inband switch does not cause a pause, with nothing
detectable on Spectrogram.

73, Guy.