K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.80: Improvements to AFSK-A, DATA-A, SSB, AM, FM, DVR

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Richard Ferch
It seems as if part of the problem with the power control in DATA A mode may
be that the power calibration appears to be done at an audio frequency which
is sub-optimal for this mode. Ideally, the power calibration would be done
at the point in the filter bandpass where the transmit filter's attenuation
is least. If this were the case, the delivered power would be equal to the
requested power at the optimal frequency, and equal or less at other points
in the filter bandpass. Delivered powers exceeding the requested power would
not happen. Lower output powers would be possible, especially towards the
edges of the bandpass, but this is normal and happens with every radio, not
just the K3.

Performing power calibration at the transmit filter's optimal frequency
might be sub-optimal for CW, though, because of the way the filter bandpass
is adjusted during CW. If this is the case, perhaps there should be separate
power calibrations for CW and for data modes.

As it happens, there is another anomaly in DATA A which has some
similarities to the above, although this may be coincidental. The SPOT
button in other digital modes produces an audio tone at an optimal frequency
(the selected mark tone in AFSK A and FSK D and the transmitted tone in PSK
D), but in DATA A the SPOT button produces a tone at the CW sidetone pitch.
The CW sidetone has nothing to do with DATA A mode, and it is far from the
optimal point in the filter bandpass in DATA A. Just as it would be better
to do power calibration at an optimal audio frequency, it would be better if
the SPOT button produced an optimal tone. Good candidates for an optimal
tone in DATA A would be either the current filter Fc or the default ("NORM")
Fc for DATA A (1500 Hz).

73,
Rich VE3KI
K3 #1595

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Guy, K2AV
Taking the DATA A readings below at face value, the more than 2 db bump
around 1000 Hz is rather startling. I'm not sure what could cause that, but
at least to me that seems to be screaming for an explanation.  There's an
old fireman's adage "never go past fire" to keep from being trapped by fire
closing around behind.

Is there any point at discussing any more subtle issues until we know why
there's a 2 db bump in the middle of an expected flat DATA A bandpass?
Everything from test equipment to meters would be in play until ruled out.

73, Guy.

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Julian, G4ILO

Richard Ferch wrote
It seems as if part of the problem with the power control in DATA A mode may
be that the power calibration appears to be done at an audio frequency which
is sub-optimal for this mode. Ideally, the power calibration would be done
at the point in the filter bandpass where the transmit filter's attenuation
is least.
I agree, this would be an improvement.

As it happens, there is another anomaly in DATA A which has some
similarities to the above, although this may be coincidental. The SPOT
button in other digital modes produces an audio tone at an optimal frequency
(the selected mark tone in AFSK A and FSK D and the transmitted tone in PSK
D), but in DATA A the SPOT button produces a tone at the CW sidetone pitch.
The CW sidetone has nothing to do with DATA A mode, and it is far from the
optimal point in the filter bandpass in DATA A. Just as it would be better
to do power calibration at an optimal audio frequency, it would be better if
the SPOT button produced an optimal tone. Good candidates for an optimal
tone in DATA A would be either the current filter Fc or the default ("NORM")
Fc for DATA A (1500 Hz).
I suspect this might actually be a bug. The trouble with DATA A is that the K3 doesn't know what center frequency the user is using (though it could possibly guess from the filter SHIFT setting.) Personally I prefer 1KHz because I like to hear what is going on and I find higher pitched tones irritating.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Julian, G4ILO

Guy, K2AV wrote
Taking the DATA A readings below at face value, the more than 2 db bump
around 1000 Hz is rather startling. I'm not sure what could cause that, but
at least to me that seems to be screaming for an explanation.  There's an
old fireman's adage "never go past fire" to keep from being trapped by fire
closing around behind.

Is there any point at discussing any more subtle issues until we know why
there's a 2 db bump in the middle of an expected flat DATA A bandpass?
Everything from test equipment to meters would be in play until ruled out.
I'm glad you asked that because I've been thinking about the same question. I have the 5-pole 2.7KHz filter and I observed the same peaks at 1000Hz and 2400Hz as Joe, who made those measurements. I guess he has the 5-pole filter too. It would be extremely interesting if someone with an 8-pole filter could run the same test and post the results to see whether there is less variation across the passband.

I would not be overjoyed to have to splash $125 to solve the problem, but it might be better than the alternatives.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Kok Chen
On Feb 15, 2009, at 2/15    8:58 AM, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:

> Taking the DATA A readings below at face value, the more than 2 db
> bump
> around 1000 Hz is rather startling. I'm not sure what could cause
> that, but
> at least to me that seems to be screaming for an explanation.
> There's an
> old fireman's adage "never go past fire" to keep from being trapped
> by fire
> closing around behind.

While I agree that a 2 dB bump is really, really bad for us guys who
use frequency-agile digital transmission, this phenomenon is not
restricted to just the K3.

The FT-1000MP has a similar 3 dB peak when you select PKT (i.e.,
AFSK); and, like the K3, the rig is flat when using voice SSB
modes.   In the case of the FT-1000MP, it appears to be a
deliberately designed peaking -- the peak is "centered" near the AFSK
tone pair that you have selected to use.

To see the FT-1000MP's variability, you can look at the following URL

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/cocoaModem/UsersManual/
UsersManual.html#equalizer

Scroll below the two control panels and you will see the graphical
display of the variability.  (In this program, you enter the measured
power in that second column on the left, and the program splines the
"curve" to produce the power correction that is applied to the
transmitted signal when you "click on the waterfall.")

73
Chen, W7AY

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Bob Cunnings NW8L
I'm not looking for another radio, as I've been doing what seems
obvious (to me) - using USB mode for sound card digital operation, not
DATA A. Yes, I forgo the benefit of the management of compression
setting and mic selection that comes with using DATA A - but as things
stand now one must change TX EQ manually when switching back and forth
between SSB and data modes anyway, right? The compromise would be
greater if TX EQ settings become available on a per mode basis. Yes,
as you state the difference in quality of signal doesn't seem to be
significant, my PSK31 signal is uniformly reported as good when in USB
mode, just as in DATA A. I set input level for 4-5 bars ALC.

Yes, DATA A is a work in progress. Prior to firmware version 2.23 DATA
A power control seemed much like that of LSB/USB, but after that
version (which introduced the "LSB/USB TRANSMIT EQUALIZATION" change)
the behavior of DATA A and LSB/USB diverged. I've observed the DATA A
changes that have taken place since, and corresponded with K3 support
on this topic a couple of times as the firmware evolved. However, at
the moment I simply run with current firmware and use USB for data
modes. Yes, I have an external peak reading watt meter in line at all
times so I could use DATA A and tweak the power setting as I move
around in the waterfall, but it's convenient to be able to set (and
confirm) power once and forget it, as I can in CW.

Bob NW8L

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Julian, G4ILO <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>
> If the majority of other data mode users are happy with the K3 the way it is
> and Elecraft can't or won't change it, then it's probably time for me to
> look for another radio.
</snip>

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> So, neglecting the ~25 W vs 30 W error, it's clear that
> something is keeping a tight rein on things in LSB, but
> is not doing so in DATA-A.
> Presumably, this is the ALC action, which we are told is
> minimized in DATA-A mode.

It looks like the ALC uses the wattmeter as an input in
SSB but not in data mode.  I tried the same set of tests
and found that the SSB power would increase (or decrease)
over the course of 10 seconds or so to bring the power to
the set point.  That same effect was not present in DATA.

This would explain the differences between SSB and DATA
and would - depending on the time constants in the ALC
circuit - explain some of the IMD effects in SSB (and the
recommendation against the use of amplifier ALC).

Here are my power measurements in DATA and DATA-R modes.
I have the 8-pole filters in both of my K3s but I have
not checked the other one to see if there s any difference
in "flatness" ...

Set:      60   W
Measured: 58.2 W (Tune)

           NOR  (USB)     REV  (LSB)
-----------------------------------
 200       0.3 (-22.9)    0.1 (-27.6)
 400      22.0  (-4.2)   15.2  (-5.8)
 600      46.4  (-1.0)   39.2  (-1.7)
 800      55.8  (-0.2)   50.5  (-0.6)
1000      57.0  (-0.1)   55.8  (-0.2)
1200      45.9  (-1.0)   49.0  (-0.7)
1400      43.8  (-1.2)   46.5  (-1.0)
1600      52.9  (-0.4)   50.8  (-0.6)
1800      64.5  ( 1.1)   61.5  ( 0.2)
2000      69.0  ( 1.2)   72.0  ( 0.9)
2200      59.0  ( 0.6)   68.2  ( 0.7)
2400      50.0  (-0.7)   63.0  ( 0.3)
2600      48.5  (-0.8)   64.9  ( 0.5)
2800      15.4  (-5.8)   26.5  (-3.4)
3000       0.0            0.0

A sweep of the filter using K3FilterTools in the receive
mode shows very close correlation with the USB power
measurements including the broad peak at 1800-2000 Hz,
the roughly 7 dB decline from peak to 2800 Hz and the
2 dB slope between 500 and 2000 Hz.  The greater than
expected roll off below 600 Hz is apparently due to the
audio input response.

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Julian, G4ILO

Bob Cunnings wrote
I'm not looking for another radio, as I've been doing what seems
obvious (to me) - using USB mode for sound card digital operation, not
DATA A. [snip]
Yes, I can see the logic in that, which is what I had to do with the K2 before the v2 firmware was released. But I ordered the K3 mainly because it promised to be a much superior radio than the K2 for data operation, so to resort to such a workaround would seem like a major step backwards.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

G3TCT
Julian
Before you do anything drastic like looking for another radio, can I ask a
silly question or 2?
If the output power is flat across the AF spectrum when using ssb mode, why
doesn't everyone use it rather than DATA-A?
And since the output power is apparently so poorly controlled in DATA-A,
(with much higher power than called for) doesn't this actually give higher
rather than lower IMD?

Graham

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Guy, K2AV
My MP has those bumps also, and it's full of INRAD's.

With only a minor amount of Spectrogram investigation in my K3, I see a 2db
variation across the passband in the 2.7 filter.  It is easily seen on RX,
particularly if one lies about how wide it is to put the DSP out at 4.0
whilst being confined only by the 2.7 roofing filter.  Further the 2.7
filters on my 2 RX K3's have nearly identical response, and the order of the
bumps reverses perfectly when I go from DATA to DATA REV.  Whether that
would be more predictable with a 2.8 8 pole filter would depend.  I don't
own one so cannot comment. (The shape of the two 2.7's are closer than the
shapes on the two 1.8's.)

Therefore, without TX EQ set only for DATA mode, power will vary up and down
depending on the filter when using a fixed segment audio width of the band
and letting the PSK program pick the transmit audio tone.

I note that me ears cannot detect changes in the mid-passband.  What I hear
when shifting RX passband is the drop or addition of lows and highs as the
passband *skirts* move.  This is to enforce that for SSB, the passband
ripple cannot be heard.

The data mode transmit exposes what the ear cannot hear only because
operators apparently look for variability less than half a db.  Given the
characteristics of some amplifier tubes and the sudden onset of grid
saturation and high current, etc, the desire to control power is
understandable.

Given the circumstances, would seem to be an interesting idea to have a data
mode only TX eq that flattens out the filter *and properly flips* for data
rev mode.  It would remain to be seen, though whether introduction of the
equalization does anything negative to transmitted IMD.

Approaching it from the other direction, Wayne & Co seem reluctant to
embrace any automatic leveling of data mode transmitted power. It would seem
on the surface that data is far more predictable than SSB, that a quick
attack, slow release and clamped-across-RX-state auto gain adjustment would
work well. There may be a lot more to it than that, but this too seems a
good idea.

73, Guy.

> On Feb 15, 2009, at 2/15    8:58 AM, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>
>> Taking the DATA A readings below at face value, the more than 2 db
>> bump
>> around 1000 Hz is rather startling. I'm not sure what could cause
>> that, but
>> at least to me that seems to be screaming for an explanation.
>> There's an
>> old fireman's adage "never go past fire" to keep from being trapped
>> by fire
>> closing around behind.
>
> While I agree that a 2 dB bump is really, really bad for us guys who
> use frequency-agile digital transmission, this phenomenon is not
> restricted to just the K3.
>
> The FT-1000MP has a similar 3 dB peak when you select PKT (i.e.,
> AFSK); and, like the K3, the rig is flat when using voice SSB
> modes.   In the case of the FT-1000MP, it appears to be a
> deliberately designed peaking -- the peak is "centered" near the AFSK
> tone pair that you have selected to use.
>
> To see the FT-1000MP's variability, you can look at the following URL
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/cocoaModem/UsersManual/
> UsersManual.html#equalizer
>
> Scroll below the two control panels and you will see the graphical
> display of the variability.  (In this program, you enter the measured
> power in that second column on the left, and the program splines the
> "curve" to produce the power correction that is applied to the
> transmitted signal when you "click on the waterfall.")
>
> 73
> Chen, W7AY

Re: K3 Beta firmware rev. 2.82

Julian, G4ILO

Graham Kimbell (G3TCT) wrote
Julian
Before you do anything drastic like looking for another radio, can I ask a
silly question or 2?
If the output power is flat across the AF spectrum when using ssb mode, why
doesn't everyone use it rather than DATA-A?
Well the main reason as I said in my post that I sent about the same time you were writing yours is that it is a hassle changing all the EQ, switching the input from MIC to LINE IN and remembering to turn off the compression. Of course some people may work digi all the time and never use a mic, in which case it would be the most sensible option. But I don't want to go through all that when I hear someone on SSB that I would like to call. Plus, many programs know what mode the K3 is in and won't do data if SSB is selected.
And since the output power is apparently so poorly controlled in DATA-A,
(with much higher power than called for) doesn't this actually give higher
rather than lower IMD?
Yes, although as long as the power is below 100W the IMD should still be within acceptable limits.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html
12