K3 CW filter choices

RobertG
Well, I'm in for a K3, and I need to pick some CW filters. I've read all
the threads, checked the graphs, and now would appreciate some
experiential reports/advice. I operate almost exclusively CW, mostly
chasing DX, contests, and some occasional rag chewing. SSB only if no
other choice/challenge. What have folks been using for (1) brick-wall
protection under demanding CW conditions, and (2) looking around and
casual chatting? Data modes aren't a consideration at this point. Thanks
much in advance.

...robert
--
Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]

Re: K3 CW filter choices

Andrew Moore-3
I chose the stock 2.7k, the 400 Hz and the 200 Hz.  I'm a casual CW-only op
- mostly ragchews, but occasional DX, QRP and QRQ.

I wanted each filter to have a (more or less) dedicated purpose. The
thinking was:

- 2.7k for listening in the background, tuning around, before a QSO

- 400 Hz when engaged in QSO. Wide enough for a little elbow room or when
someone's slightly off freq

- 200 Hz when things hit the fan. So far I don't find it too narrow.  I
chose the 200 over the 250 because I thought the 250 would be too close to
the 400.

Prior to the K3, for 20 years I used the 250/500/1.8k setup, so I had
reservations about switching to 200/400/2.7k.  I was very tempted to start
with the 250 for that reason.  In the end I went for the 200 because when
things hit the fan, you need narrow.  I was also concerned that the 200
might be too hard on the ears, as even some 250 filters have been in my
experience.  I don't find this problem at all with the 200.  No fatigue.

In reality, this trio has worked out perfectly (for my style of operating).
 I find it highly flexible, yet not so much that I'm wondering which filter
to use for a given condition.  After using this trio now for a couple
years, I doubt I'd ever change it for CW use.

Hope this helps.
--Andrew, NV1B
..

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Robert G. Strickland <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Well, I'm in for a K3, and I need to pick some CW filters. I've read all
> the threads, checked the graphs, and now would appreciate some
> experiential reports/advice. I operate almost exclusively CW, mostly
> chasing DX, contests, and some occasional rag chewing. SSB only if no
> other choice/challenge. What have folks been using for (1) brick-wall
> protection under demanding CW conditions, and (2) looking around and
> casual chatting? Data modes aren't a consideration at this point. Thanks
> much in advance.
>
> ...robert
> --
> Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
> [hidden email]
> Syracuse, New York, USA

Re: K3 CW filter choices

alsopb
As you say your are a casual CW operator.   Perhaps some feedback from a
nearly 100% CW operator of 50+ years would be useful too.

1) Tuning 400 Hz

2) When things get tough 200 or 250 Hz.  The utility of the 200 Hz
signal has been especially good for pulling out really weak ones on 15-6M.

3) Never anything wider then the above.  Not interested in unwanted AGC
activation for out of within passband, but nowhere near the listening
frequency, signals.  With the increased solar flux, many bands are
pretty crowded and signals are strong.

I do a lot of S&P operations and one wants that to be single signal type
of operation. Fooling around with filter width in these days of instant
packet pileups isn't what I want to be doing.

The other thing that helps, even though those with hearing aids may not
be able to do it, is earphones.

At my age the presence of external noise sources interferes with my
ability to focus and copy CW.  Earphones eliminate much of that.  I
suspect the same is true for SSB.

In the older days the narrower filters tended to ring.  That annoying
ringing seems to have disappeared for this generation of filters/dsp.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: K3 CW filter choices

Kjeld Holm
100% agree

OZ1CCM

> [...]

> Hope this helps.
> --Andrew, NV1B
> ..
>

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Robert G.
Strickland<[hidden email]>wrote:

>> Well, I'm in for a K3, and I need to pick some CW filters. I've read
>> all the threads, checked the graphs, and now would appreciate some
>> experiential reports/advice. I operate almost exclusively CW, mostly
>> chasing DX, contests, and some occasional rag chewing. SSB only if no
>> other choice/challenge. What have folks been using for (1) brick-wall
>> protection under demanding CW conditions, and (2) looking around and
>> casual chatting? Data modes aren't a consideration at this point.
>> Thanks much in advance.
>>
>> ...robert
>> --
>> Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY [hidden email] Syracuse,

-----
No virus found in this message.