K3 Codecs and Remote Desktop

wa9fvp
After installing the KIO3B, I had no problem passing audio to and from my W7 PC.  The speaker and microphone codec appear in the Sound Control panel.  When I try to use Remote desktop, the codecs a are gone and there's no sound on my Dell laptop.  When I check the Sound Control the only sound device that appears in the Playback tab is a Speaker and the Recording tab is blank.    When I check "Play on remote computer"  and launch RDT, The Sound Control shows the K3 codecs and I can hear sound on the host computer.

Before I launched RDT, at the Local Resources tab/Settings I checked "Play on this computer".  Here's my conundrum.  For a pan-adapter, I use an SDR-14 software defined receiver from RF-Space.  The Spectra-Vue software is compatible with the K3.  I feeds off the K3's IF and it functions like the P3 except the spectrum display is on the PC monitor.   Within the span it can also serve as a 2nd or 3rd receiver and the audio from each demodulator is fed separately to each speaker.   When I use Remote Desktop the audio is passed to my Laptop and when I click on the Taskbar-Speaker icon, the Spectra-Vue volume control is shown.

My question is "What is the difference between the Spectra-Vue codec and the K3 codac?   Why is the audio available on the SDR-14 but not on the K3.
Jack WA9FVP

Sent from my home-brew I5 Core PC

Re: K3 Codecs and Remote Desktop

lstavenhagen
Most likely, the software device for the K3 sound card doesn't support Remote Desktop. It looks like doing things like remote rendering of sound requires specific support in the application on the server side via RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) and using the Remote Desktop API.

Apparently this support has been added in the Spectra-Vue application which would be why it can render sound on the RD client..... Which is kind of cool!

See if there's a way to pass the K3 audio into the Spectra-Vue application itself - then it might "pass through" to your remote machine using its RDP support....

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: K3 Codecs and Remote Desktop

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> My question is "What is the difference between the Spectra-Vue codec
> and the K3 codac? Why is the audio available on the SDR-14 but not on
> the K3.

RF Space audio is data within the program DLL - there is no hardware
CODEC (you can't see SDR-14, SDR-IQ, etc. as a "sound card" in Windows
Device Manager)

The K3S USB audio is defined by the hardware on the specific PC (and
appears as a sound card in Windows Device Manger).

You *might* be able to find a "remote sound card driver" that will
mirror the K3S USB Audio CODEC onto a remote PC but good luck ... you
will probably have more luck using a VoIP package to transport the
audio from one sound card (the K3S) to the other (your laptop) than
installing the remote K3S sound card onto your laptop.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV