K3 Distorted Audio On Transmit

dave_w0ru
I have a K3, P3 and KPA500. Last night I was encountering some high SWR. The K3 has the KAT3 internal 100 watt antenna tuner. I do not have the KAT500 tuner. If the SWR was too high, the KPA500 indicated a fault and I went back to 100 watts with the K3. I tried bypassing the KAT3 to see how the SWR looked. The K3 started producing extremely distorted audio when I transmitted (I was listening with my headphones). The audio sounds like a loud roar. This only occurred on 20 and 30 meters at about 50-100 watts output using upper sideband (yes, I know we can't legally use USB on 30 meters, I just briefly keyed the PTT). The other bands were fine. Today I found the problem does not happen when I use a dummy load. The K3 schematic shows`there is a low-pass filter for 20/30 meters. I am just trying to figure out if the high SWR caused damage.

73,
Dave W0RU

Re: K3 Distorted Audio On Transmit

Don Wilhelm-4
Dave,

Audio distortion on only 1 or 2 bands is usually a symptom of RF in the
Shack.
That is confirmed by the fact that all is well on a dummy load.
The best place to cure it is on the antenna feedline.
If you do not have a good current balun at the antenna feedpoint, add one.
If you have a few feet of slack in the feedline, I would make 5 turns of
the coax through a stack of 5 or 6 FT240-31 ferrite toroids.  Do that at
the shack entry point or just inside the shack.  See the information in
K9YC's paper on RFI for a photo - http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
The toroids are available at Mouser or from Diz at
http://www.partsandkits.com

On 3/1/2014 12:08 PM, dave_w0ru wrote:

> I have a K3, P3 and KPA500. Last night I was encountering some high SWR. The
> K3 has the KAT3 internal 100 watt antenna tuner. I do not have the KAT500
> tuner. If the SWR was too high, the KPA500 indicated a fault and I went back
> to 100 watts with the K3. I tried bypassing the KAT3 to see how the SWR
> looked. The K3 started producing extremely distorted audio when I
> transmitted (I was listening with my headphones). The audio sounds like a
> loud roar. This only occurred on 20 and 30 meters at about 50-100 watts
> output using upper sideband (yes, I know we can't legally use USB on 30
> meters, I just briefly keyed the PTT). The other bands were fine. Today I
> found the problem does not happen when I use a dummy load. The K3 schematic
> shows`there is a low-pass filter for 20/30 meters. I am just trying to
> figure out if the high SWR caused damage.

Re: K3 Distorted Audio On Transmit

dave_w0ru
Don,

Thanks for the insight and references. This is the first time I have encountered this type of problem. The temperature here in Minnesota is -3 degrees F. Any outside modifications may have to wait awhile.

73,
Dave W0RU

Re: K3 Distorted Audio On Transmit

Don Wilhelm-4
Dave,

Don't you know antenna work is best done during the winter. :-)
The colder it is, the more efficient that antenna will be!

On 3/1/2014 1:41 PM, dave_w0ru wrote:
> Don,
>
> Thanks for the insight and references. This is the first time I have
> encountered this type of problem. The temperature here in Minnesota is -3
> degrees F. Any outside modifications may have to wait awhile.
>
> 73,
> Dave W0RU

Re: K3 Distorted Audio On Transmit

Bruce Rattray
Hello Don.  Then I must have the world's most efficient antennas with wind
chills in the minus 50s and minus 60s this time around.   Hihihi  72/73
Bruce ve5rc  love my K2!

Don't you know antenna work is best done during the winter. :-) The colder
it is, the more efficient that antenna will be!

On 3/1/2014 1:41 PM, dave_w0ru wrote:
> Don,
>
> Thanks for the insight and references. This is the first time I have
> encountered this type of problem. The temperature here in Minnesota is
> -3 degrees F. Any outside modifications may have to wait awhile.
>
> 73,
> Dave W0RU

Re: K3 Distorted Audio On Transmit

KD8NNU
Efficiency applies when the work on said antenna is performed in the cold weather.

Thanks
Don
Sent from my iPad