K3 ERR KEY - Continuous Keying

Bud Governale, W3LL
My K3 display shows ERR KEY when I turn it on. It's been working flawlessly until now and no recent changes have been
made.

1.    No programs are running on the computer. ERR Key is displayed on the K3
2.    If I shut down the computer the ERR Key turns off partway thru the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen.
3.    If I turn on the computer with the K3 on, it keys the transmitter a few times then it keys on continuously after
windows comes up.
4.    I disconnected both the RS232 and ACCY cables from the K3 but surprisingly the K3 remained keyed with the same
symptoms.

5.    I disconnected the Line Out cable from the K3 and it unkeyed. However, it would periodically/intermittently key
for about half a second on its own.
6.    I reconnected the Line Out and the K3 again keyed continuously.
7.    I disconnected the Line In cable from the K3 and the K3 unkeyed. However, it would periodically key for about half
a second on its own.
8.    I checked both Line In and line Out cables for continuity or shorts. Both are OK.
9.    I checked the sound card for functionality using a second radio. It works properly for both Line In and Line Out.
10.  Both Line In and Line Out cables are stereo cables.
11.  If the K3 is on when windows starts up it goes into key down mode. If I start windows with the K3 off and then turn
the K3 on the K3 displays the ERR Key diagnostic.

I don't understand what Line Out or Line In has to do with keying the transmitter.

Any suggestions on what happened and how to fix it? Until now all has been perfect.

73,

Bud W3LL
[hidden email]

Re: K3 ERR KEY - Continuous Keying

W0FK
This post was updated on .
Did you check your CW key and/or paddle? I have had that issue when the plug was slightly askew or if it was making contact. The error code indicates a closed connection somewhere. Also check the cables to your amplifier (if you have one in line).

Lou, W0FK

Bud Governale, W3LL wrote
[...]

w3ll@arrl.net

St. Louis, MO

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that
genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Re: K3 ERR KEY - Continuous Keying

Paul Fletcher

Bud Governale, W3LL wrote
My K3 display shows ERR KEY when I turn it on.
Try disconnecting all cables from the K3 except the antenna and power (obviously!) and see if the symptoms persist. If they don't, plug in one cable at a time until the problem returns and go from there. Alternatively it could be a problem with the I/O daughter board. If you still have the problem with all cables disconnected remove the daughter board that has the RS232 and accessory connectors on (the K3 will operate fine without it) and see if that fixes the problem. If it does clean the daughter board thoroughly with something that removes water soluble flux and a tooth brush, let it dry and reinstall it and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem reappears you could try again or get the board replaced.

If removing the board doesn't fix the problem I'd suggest contacting Elecraft tech support.

Regards,
Paul M1PAF

Re: K3 ERR KEY - Continuous Keying

Bud,

If the K3 is powered on with a KEY(or paddles) or PTT closure, ERR KEY
will result, and will not transmit until the condition is cleared. (but
connect a dummy load just in case).

I am not certain the LINE IN has anything to do with it, but if VOX is
on, the K3 can be keyed with the LINE IN signal.  Has your computer
developed a noisy sound card?  Connect amplified speakers to the
computer line out to see what it sounds like.  Is there hum pickup on
your cable to the K3 LINE IN?

Have you connected the computer enclosure and the K3 together with a
good grounding conductor?  If not, try it and see if that helps.

Bud Governale, W3LL wrote:

> My K3 display shows ERR KEY when I turn it on. It's been working flawlessly until now and no recent changes have been
> made.
>
> 1.    No programs are running on the computer. ERR Key is displayed on the K3
> 2.    If I shut down the computer the ERR Key turns off partway thru the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen.
> 3.    If I turn on the computer with the K3 on, it keys the transmitter a few times then it keys on continuously after
> windows comes up.
> 4.    I disconnected both the RS232 and ACCY cables from the K3 but surprisingly the K3 remained keyed with the same
> symptoms.
>
> 5.    I disconnected the Line Out cable from the K3 and it unkeyed. However, it would periodically/intermittently key
> for about half a second on its own.
> 6.    I reconnected the Line Out and the K3 again keyed continuously.
> 7.    I disconnected the Line In cable from the K3 and the K3 unkeyed. However, it would periodically key for about half
> a second on its own.
> 8.    I checked both Line In and line Out cables for continuity or shorts. Both are OK.
> 9.    I checked the sound card for functionality using a second radio. It works properly for both Line In and Line Out.
> 10.  Both Line In and Line Out cables are stereo cables.
> 11.  If the K3 is on when windows starts up it goes into key down mode. If I start windows with the K3 off and then turn
> the K3 on the K3 displays the ERR Key diagnostic.
>
> I don't understand what Line Out or Line In has to do with keying the transmitter.
>
> Any suggestions on what happened and how to fix it? Until now all has been perfect.
>
> 73,
>
> Bud W3LL
> [hidden email]

Re: K3 ERR KEY - Continuous Keying

Gill W4RYW
See if you can isolate the problem - Turn off the K3 & disconnect the computer from the K3, turn it on and check the config menu setting for PTT-KEY. Turn both PTT and KEY to OFF. Turn off the VOX. Turn off the K3 and reconnect the computer. Turn on K3 then start up computer. You should be ok.  If not call Aptos. otherwise go to PTT-KEY menu and turn back on whatever was originally on. If the problem re-appears, then your computer is asserting either the RTS or DTR line continually and now you have to trouble shoot the computer - likely some program or program update is screwed up. All this is assuming that sound card is clean and not activating VOX. If you turn on VOX and it keys again, then you still have a computer soundcard issue.

Good Luck

Gill W4RYW