K3 - Error on power up , sub-rcvr removed

K3 - Error on power up , sub-rcvr removed

BYRON

 I have found a seller of a non-working K3, serial # 6000's ,  he states " the radio powers up with an error message,
Radio thinks sub is on, when not actually installed.  Trying to mitigate some risk here, I am an IPC Certified electronic technician , I have a test bench with the normal average electronic repair equipment to repair circuitry etc.  ESD practices observed as well. I am simply looking for someone who has removed a sub-receiver board or installed one that could shed some light on what the original owner of the radio may have done incorrectly when removing the sub-rcvr board. Is it as simple as a menu selected setting , a jumper board not installed etc. The seller hasnt been able to identify what the original seller did other than just remove the sub board.

TnX Byron / N4AX

Re: K3 - Error on power up , sub-rcvr removed

VK4XA
Hi Byron,
Check W4 from connector J64A on the K3 RF board. J64A is near the KIO3 board, if it is not fitted you will get error messages on startup and the main receiver will not function.
(It has to be removed when the 2nd receiver is installed and replaced when it is not there.)
See page 39 of the KRX3A Receiver Installation and Operations manual for a photo of the jumper and it's location.
Also see page 46 for details on the removal of the sub-receiver from the radio.
I hope this helps,
73 de Jeff VK4XA.

Re: K3 - Error on power up , sub-rcvr removed

VK4XA
I used a short length of component lead from a 1n814 diode to make a new jumper, all is good.
(I removed the 2nd receiver as I wasn't happy with all the extra birdies it introduced into the main receiver)
My radio still has the 2nd KSYNTH A and the second DSP is still there too, all they do is up the standing (no signal) current draw from 0.9Amps to 1.18Amps.
Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to look into removing the secondary DSP etc. :)

Jeff VK4XA.

Re: K3 - Error on power up , sub-rcvr removed

VK4XA
Correction, 1n914 diode lead. (Typo on my part) :)