K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Roy Morris-6
I concur with what has been said regarding the "hissy" audio.  The receiver audio seems to be on the mid-range to high frequency side without enough low frequencies in the passband.  Experiments with RX EQ apparently have not done anything to eliminate this hiss, but maybe the firmware can be adjusted to increase the low-end response of the receiver passband.  If this doesn't work, maybe a component change is in order.

I also think the noise reduction is too sharp in both SSB and CW.  Perhaps NR could also be improved with more low frequencies in the passband.

Roy Morris  W4WFB
K2 #2225
K3 #323
K3 #2810

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Steve Ellington
Roy
Is what you call "hissy" just a lack of bass? I think of "hissy" as high
pitched white noise, like wind blowing through a narrow pipe. Is that what
you hear? Adding low freq. audio won't reduce hiss at all but I don't think
we are dealing with hiss. I think the lack of bass gives us the perception
of a tinny, narrow sound, not hiss.
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
>I concur with what has been said regarding the "hissy" audio.  The receiver
>audio seems to be on the mid-range to high frequency side without enough
>low frequencies in the passband.  Experiments with RX EQ apparently have
>not done anything to eliminate this hiss, but maybe the firmware can be
>adjusted to increase the low-end response of the receiver passband.  If
>this doesn't work, maybe a component change is in order.
>
> I also think the noise reduction is too sharp in both SSB and CW.  Perhaps
> NR could also be improved with more low frequencies in the passband.
>
> Roy Morris  W4WFB
> K2 #2225
> K3 #323
> K3 #2810

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Bill Johnson-9
Have you tried setting the receive equalizer?  I set mine for the audio I
like to hear I don't have the issue, sometimes I find exactly the opposite
depending on all my settings and then decide whether I would like to touch
the settings up a bit.  (I did just get high marks from a recent hearing
test. I told the wife I in fact must have selective hearing :-)

73,

Bill
K9YEQ

>I concur with what has been said regarding the "hissy" audio.  The receiver

>audio seems to be on the mid-range to high frequency side without enough
>low frequencies in the passband.  Experiments with RX EQ apparently have
>not done anything to eliminate this hiss, but maybe the firmware can be
>adjusted to increase the low-end response of the receiver passband.  If
>this doesn't work, maybe a component change is in order.
>
> I also think the noise reduction is too sharp in both SSB and CW.  Perhaps

> NR could also be improved with more low frequencies in the passband.
>
> Roy Morris  W4WFB
> K2 #2225
> K3 #323
> K3 #2810

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
I have tried to adjust the audio of the K3 to my liking.

Hi side of spectrum: To get rid of the higher freq's I set the RX-eq 8
to minus 8dB.
Lo side of the spectrum: I tried out the RX-eq 1 and 2. Absolutely no
difference! Not even with the lo cut set to zero.
RX-eq 3 (200Hz) responded better. Set this to plus 8dB

This gives a 'rounder' sound to my ears.

I sure wish that the 100Hz and 50Hz (RX-eq 1 and 2) would show some
response. Low frequencies seem to be absent.

K3 #1255, IF-setting:
Mode LSB
2.7k 5-pole roofing
DSP to norm first, adjusted lo cut to seek for lo freq response

Headset: Heil-pro type, 320 ohm measured resistance.

73,
Arie  PA3A

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Bill Johnson-9
After reading all the postings about audio, I tried a couple of different
ear sets.  I set all but my equalizer to normal settings for SSB.  My
equalizer I didn't touch until I tried to see the impact when I tried
different earbuds.

I do not have Heil pro's as I don't like the cover the ear devices because
they cause me to sweat and I cannot hear the wife when she's needing
something.  I find the adjustments for all the settings on the equalizers
work for me with the earbuds.  I can distinguish changes.  I also tried the
offset and that can help with either base or treble boost as well.  The
first headset was an inexpensive Sony stereo earbuds(108 dbm sensitivity
which is very good). Then I tried my studio quality Shure e5c's which have
much greater sensitivity, I forget the amount, but it is enough to hear the
audio hiss or noise floor of the K3.  The K3 is not studio quality audio and
I doubt any of them are and I did not try this on any other radio).  I
generally don't use headsets so with the speakers, audio quality seems
superior to other rigs I own (TS2000 and IC7000). I have always liked my 3
K2's!

Perhaps there is a relationship between some of the radios and audio devices
which are connected to the K3 that create the issues.

I use a Vertex MLS-100 mobile external speaker, and I have it literally in
front of me so I can hear it with light audio settings.  There is zero hiss
from the radio and the audio is excellent.

I don't know if this is of any help, but the time taken keeps me from
avoiding other work.  Hope you and others are able to find a suitable
solution.

73,

Bill
K9YEQ
K2 #35; KX1 #35; K3 #1744; mini mods
ATS-3B

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Perhaps NR could also be improved with more low
> frequencies in the passband.

Please NO!  I already run RX Audio bands 1 and 2 at -16 dB to
eliminate excessive bass - no more bass, please!

The hiss many seem to be complaining about is broadband noise
in the audio (speaker) and/or headphone amplifier.  It is more
noticeable when driving low impedance loads (8/16 Ohm) due to
the relatively high gain (14 dB) of the speaker amplifier
and the high frequency boosting effect of the 33 pF capacitors
in  parallel with the gain setting (feedback resistors).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Jay Bromley
Hi Joe,
Looking at Spectra right out of the Phones output, I don't see where bands
1or 2 do all that much in lowering K3's bass.

Having the rig on SSB using the 2.7 Khz filter, the "Lo" on 0, I see no
change on bands 1 and 2 when I set them to -16.  What I am missing here?  I
have never seen or heard too much bass in the K3.

I did a plot at 0 dB, one at -16 on band 1 and another one on -16 on band 2
if anyone would like to see them.

73 de w5jay/jay..

>> Perhaps NR could also be improved with more low
>> frequencies in the passband.
>
> Please NO!  I already run RX Audio bands 1 and 2 at -16 dB to
> eliminate excessive bass - no more bass, please!
>
> The hiss many seem to be complaining about is broadband noise
> in the audio (speaker) and/or headphone amplifier.  It is more
> noticeable when driving low impedance loads (8/16 Ohm) due to
> the relatively high gain (14 dB) of the speaker amplifier
> and the high frequency boosting effect of the 33 pF capacitors
> in  parallel with the gain setting (feedback resistors).
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

K3 Audio

Ken Kopp-3
As Joe sez, PLEASE, no more bass without the means
to avoid it.  I'm interested in a communications transceiver,
not a "hi-fi" receiver for my home audio system. (:-))

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Steve Ellington
You are right Jay. Bands 1 and 2 do nothing. There's nothing to reduce!

Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
> Looking at Spectra right out of the Phones output, I don't see where bands
> 1or 2 do all that much in lowering K3's bass.
>
> Having the rig on SSB using the 2.7 Khz filter, the "Lo" on 0, I see no
> change on bands 1 and 2 when I set them to -16.  What I am missing here?
> have never seen or heard too much bass in the K3.
>
> I did a plot at 0 dB, one at -16 on band 1 and another one on -16 on band
> 2
> if anyone would like to see them.
>
> 73 de w5jay/jay..
>

>>> Perhaps NR could also be improved with more low
>>> frequencies in the passband.
>>
>> Please NO!  I already run RX Audio bands 1 and 2 at -16 dB to
>> eliminate excessive bass - no more bass, please!
>>
>> The hiss many seem to be complaining about is broadband noise
>> in the audio (speaker) and/or headphone amplifier.  It is more
>> noticeable when driving low impedance loads (8/16 Ohm) due to
>> the relatively high gain (14 dB) of the speaker amplifier
>> and the high frequency boosting effect of the 33 pF capacitors
>> in  parallel with the gain setting (feedback resistors).
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 Audio

Jim-168
Ken, I am with you. I like the K-3 receive audio on phone and am not a fan
of the down to "0" audio. For many years I have referred to this as, "Low
order distortion". Also, I don't like that dull thud sound some of the guys
exhibit with the excessive wide audio and external equipment.

Too much base can be bad. I remember many years ago the horrible basey audio
from a Kenwood MC-50 and the toilet roll fix.

Back to hissy receive audio it's pretty noticeable in the Yaesu FT-1000 MP.
The fix is to turn the DSP off and set the carrier point in the menu.

Still, I don't hear any appreciable hiss in the K3.

73 de KE4WY Jim

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

P.B. Christensen
> You are right Jay. Bands 1 and 2 do nothing. There's nothing to reduce!

On my modified K3, adjusting band 2 (100Hz) will produce bone-jarring bass
when boosted above +5 dB.

However, even though my moded K3 easily produces audible beats down to 30
Hz, adjusting Rx EQ band 1 (50 Hz) has no effect whatsoever.   I just tired
this by approaching zero-beat on a CW carrier, then backing off the display
frequency in 50 Hz and 100 Hz increments.  Band 2 works quite well while
band 1 seems to produce no change in Rx EQ.

Lyle/Wayne, can you confirm that band 1 is actually engaged in the firmware?
If it is, then there's some other causation pre-AF amp.

Paul, W9AC

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Looking at Spectra right out of the Phones output, I don't
> see where bands 1or 2 do all that much in lowering K3's bass.

You won't see much on the headphone output because of the 10 uF
coupling capacitors. The effect is quite obvious on both the
speaker output and the line output (if you have made the line
out modification [R19/20] in K3AF Mod Rev 3).

If you replace the 10 uF headphone coupling capacitors with
330 uF caps as recommended by W9AC the headphone output will
more like a good external speaker.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Jay Bromley
Hi Joe,

You also wrote:
> You won't see much on the headphone output because of the 10 uF
> coupling capacitors. The effect is quite obvious on both the
> speaker output and the line output (if you have made the line
> out modification [R19/20] in K3AF Mod Rev 3).
>
> If you replace the 10 uF headphone coupling capacitors with
> 330 uF caps as recommended by W9AC the headphone output will
> more like a good external speaker.

On Paul's mods, I've been there and done that on both a stock K3 and a
modified one.  I still don't hear the excessive bass you were mentioning and
more important I can't measure it!  I went back this morning and measured
the speaker out and for that matter all other outputs for fun.  When I go to
RX EQ bands 1 and 2 and put them at -16 dB I see a gentle roll off starting
at 200 hz.  However I see the same gentle roll off at zero dB on RX EQ bands
1 and 2.  On the line output I see a little less bass than the other outputs
and I would expect this since it has a transformer in line that the speaker
and phone output doesn't.  In fact I don't see a change if I go crazy
boosting RX RQ bands 1 and 2.

Joe, I am not complaining mind you, I am just not seeing this excessive bass
you posted in your message at zero or a huge reduction in bass response
at -16 on bands 1 and 2.  LO cut is still at 0, I am still on LSB at 2.8 BW.

So I am still must be missing something here.  BTW this K3 has all the AF,
speaker mods, per the K3 Enhancement and Application Notes page.  Also I do
run from time to time a nice bookshelve and external amp speaker system.
The walls are very safe here from excessive bass response.

73 de jay/w5jay..

>> Looking at Spectra right out of the Phones output, I don't
>> see where bands 1or 2 do all that much in lowering K3's bass.
>
> You won't see much on the headphone output because of the 10 uF
> coupling capacitors. The effect is quite obvious on both the
> speaker output and the line output (if you have made the line
> out modification [R19/20] in K3AF Mod Rev 3).
>
> If you replace the 10 uF headphone coupling capacitors with
> 330 uF caps as recommended by W9AC the headphone output will
> more like a good external speaker.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV
>

>> Hi Joe,
>> Looking at Spectra right out of the Phones output, I don't
>> see where bands
>> 1or 2 do all that much in lowering K3's bass.
>>
>> Having the rig on SSB using the 2.7 Khz filter, the "Lo" on
>> 0, I see no
>> change on bands 1 and 2 when I set them to -16.  What I am
>> missing here?  I
>> have never seen or heard too much bass in the K3.
>>
>> I did a plot at 0 dB, one at -16 on band 1 and another one on
>> -16 on band 2
>> if anyone would like to see them.
>>
>> 73 de w5jay/jay..

>> > Please NO!  I already run RX Audio bands 1 and 2 at -16 dB to
>> > eliminate excessive bass - no more bass, please!
>> >
>> > The hiss many seem to be complaining about is broadband
>> noise in the
>> > audio (speaker) and/or headphone amplifier.  It is more noticeable
>> > when driving low impedance loads (8/16 Ohm) due to the
>> relatively high
>> > gain (14 dB) of the speaker amplifier and the high
>> frequency boosting
>> > effect of the 33 pF capacitors in  parallel with the gain setting
>> > (feedback resistors).
>> >
>> > 73,
>> >
>> >   ... Joe, W4TV

>> Experiments with RX
>> response

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

P.B. Christensen
> 1 and 2.  On the line output I see a little less bass than the other
> outputs
> and I would expect this since it has a transformer in line that the
> speaker
> and phone output doesn't.  In fact I don't see a change if I go crazy
> boosting RX RQ bands 1 and 2.

Jay,

Here are my SpectraPlus FFT plots for the IC-7800 (Magenta), IC-7700 (Blue),
Ten Tec Omni VII (Red), and Elecraft K3 (Yellow).  Each plot was taken from
the respective headphone output and the volume level adjusted in order to
show an uncluttered overlay.

http://216.229.20.37/images/ResponsePlots.JPG

To achieve a reasonably flat low-end response on the K3 requires an FC shift
to about 1.25 from 1.50.  But in doing so, note how the high end response is
now limited to about 3.2 kHz (See yellow trace).

Not surprising, the IC-7700 and IC-7800 traces can be laid on top of each
with a nearly identical response.  Both produce a response bump between 100
Hz - 300 Hz.  The Ten Tec Omni VII produces the best overall Rx response of
the four rigs tested.  I wish I still had the TS-870 for these tests as it
measured ruler-flat out of the box from 30 Hz to 6 kHz.

Regarding the K3's Rx EQ, I see substantial Rx EQ changes on bands 2-8 when
adjustments are made, but no change on band 1 when adjusted from one extreme
to the other.  It simply has no effect.   I've tried various alternate
settings to see if I could engage band 1 to move, but so far, no luck.  It
doesn't bother me as I leave the EQ flat.

Paul, W9AC

Re: K3 Hissy and Noisy Audio

Paul Gates, KD3JF

At present I do not have a K3. I do have an old Tentec 580 Delta and a Icom 703 plus, KX1. The enclosed speakers in both rigs perform nicely. However, I use a ADCOM digital Speaker on both rigs and it makes a big difference. I have had a lot of rigs like Drake, Swan Etc, If the speaker was in the same enclosure with the Power supply no improvement was needed. On the KX1 I have an old, really old Audio Amp. from Radio Shack and it produces some beautiful audio. It seems when the speaker is in the radio... It is tolerable bur an outboard speaker is better. Just my opinion.

Paul Gates, KD3JF

Re: K3 excessive bass

Jay Bromley
Thanks Paul,
That makes a lot of sense and like I said I am not complaining one bit on
the K3 audio.  I main point I was trying to make was the K3 doesn't have
excessive bass in stock form or from what I have seen in any form.

I will send you my plots later, I have a QRP meeting tonight to get ready
for.

However I still don't see much difference on bands 2 on any output, but I
will experiment more tonight.  To be honest I don't use the EQ at all, my K3
stays on digital most of the time!

The problem is one guy will add a comment to this thread, then a guy like me
will comment on that and now it is getting away from the original subject
line.  So I am changing this now and will be my last post on this subject
unless someone would like me to run a test, etc.

Just commenting on what I see, hear, and can measure.

73 de jay/w5jay..