K3/K2 as radio telescope

WD6DBM

I am now using my K3 to try to hear Jupiter noise bursts on 20 Mhz.  Has anyone done this already, and can you recommend rig settings?  Right now I am running it in USB with AGC off, preamp off, BW wide open (6Khz filter), NB es DSP off into SkyPipe.  I plan to do this from a remote site with my K2.  I'm also wondering if the 13 KHz filter would be worthwhile for the K3 for this project?  Any suggestions for K2 or K3 settings are appreciated.

Thanks, Eric WD6DBM
p.s. I still love my K3, K2, and KX1!

Re: K3/K2 as radio telescope

W7GJ, Lance
eric norris wrote:

> I am now using my K3 to try to hear Jupiter noise bursts on 20 Mhz.  Has anyone
> done this already, and can you recommend rig settings?  Right now I am running it
> in USB with AGC off, preamp off, BW wide open (6Khz filter), NB es DSP off into
> SkyPipe.  I plan to do this from a remote site with my K2.  I'm also wondering if
> the 13 KHz filter would be worthwhile for the K3 for this project?  Any
> suggestions for K2 or K3 settings are appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Eric WD6DBM p.s. I still love my K3, K2, and KX1!

> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Hello Eric,

I haven't done it recently, but did record 18 MHz noise storms from Jupiter on 18 MHz
with my Drake R4B receiver with K1IB back in 1971.  We used a 4 element homebrew yagi
with elevation.  I think your receiver settings sound right on the money.  As I
recall, the noise storms were related to solar flares and my guess is that you will
find things pretty quiet at this time of the solar cycle.  However, if you plan to
start now and monitor for the next 6 years, you should be able to chart out quite a
nice correlation between the two.

GL and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8)
P.O. Box 73