K3/KPA500 Power By Band

k6dgw
I think I have this figured out, but don't want to smoke anything in a
moment of non-thinking [they occur with increasing frequency as
birthdays accumulate :-)]

With KPA500 in STBY, I set the power on each band for barefoot operation
[100W], and it gets remembered.  With KPA500 in OPERATE, I set the power
to drive it to 500W on each band, and it gets remembered.

If, while operating with the amp and it seems to be poking a little more
than 500W into the antenna, I turn the power down just a tad.

QUESTION:  That little tweak gets remembered immediately, and modifies
the original drive setting?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: K3/KPA500 Power By Band

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:19 AM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I have this figured out, but don't want to smoke anything in a
> moment of non-thinking [they occur with increasing frequency as
> birthdays accumulate :-)]
>
> With KPA500 in STBY, I set the power on each band for barefoot operation
> [100W], and it gets remembered.  With KPA500 in OPERATE, I set the power
> to drive it to 500W on each band, and it gets remembered.
>
> If, while operating with the amp and it seems to be poking a little more
> than 500W into the antenna, I turn the power down just a tad.
>
> QUESTION:  That little tweak gets remembered immediately, and modifies
> the original drive setting?

Yes, it should always remember the last setting that you made (for each band).

BTW, a little more than 500W out is OK ... the 500W rating is quite
conservative....

73,

    ~iain / N6ML