K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

James Meade
What cabling and settings are needed to connect a Windows 7 Pro computer
to the K3, a SteppIRR antenna controller and a U.S. Navigator so they all
talk to each other?  I'm running an RS232 cable from the PC to the K3, the
aux cable from the K3 to the KPA500, and a Y RS232 cable from the K3 with
one leg to the Navigator and one to the KPA500.  How does the SteppIRR get
involved?
Thanks,
Jim NO0B

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

Don Wilhelm-4
Jim,

Remove the RS-232 cable to the KPA500 - it needs to be on a port that is
different (or not connected at the same time) from that used by the K3.
The KPA500 port is only used for firmware updates.

In fact, since the KPA500 and the K3 both contain RS-232 drivers, they
will get confused and not work properly if connected together.  RS-232
is point to point only, no daisy chaining.

Plug the SteppIR cable into the Y that connects to the K3.  The SteppIR
has only receivers and just listens on the conversation between the
computer Navigator) and the K3 - that is OK since no drivers are involved.

On 2/24/2012 4:56 PM, James Meade wrote:
> What cabling and settings are needed to connect a Windows 7 Pro computer
> to the K3, a SteppIRR antenna controller and a U.S. Navigator so they all
> talk to each other?  I'm running an RS232 cable from the PC to the K3, the
> aux cable from the K3 to the KPA500, and a Y RS232 cable from the K3 with
> one leg to the Navigator and one to the KPA500.  How does the SteppIRR get
> involved?
> Thanks,
> Jim NO0B

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

James Meade
The K3 is connected to the Navigator and the KPA500 via the ACC port which
is a 15 pin D.  KPA500 RS232 port is unused.  This is per the KPA500
Owners manual.  K3 is connected to PC via the RS232 port.  This leaves no
place to plug in the SteppIRR, which has 9 pin D plugs.  I'm still
confused.

Jim NO0B

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:19:06 -0600, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Remove the RS-232 cable to the KPA500 - it needs to be on a port that is
> different (or not connected at the same time) from that used by the K3.
> The KPA500 port is only used for firmware updates.
>
> In fact, since the KPA500 and the K3 both contain RS-232 drivers, they
> will get confused and not work properly if connected together.  RS-232
> is point to point only, no daisy chaining.
>
> Plug the SteppIR cable into the Y that connects to the K3.  The SteppIR
> has only receivers and just listens on the conversation between the
> computer Navigator) and the K3 - that is OK since no drivers are
> involved.

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

Don Wilhelm-4
Jim,

Look at the navigator for this purpose as a USB to RS-232 converter.
So, you have the USB cable from the computer to the Navigator (I trust
you have loaded the applicable drivers).  That enables the RS-232 port
on the Navigator to be connected to the K3 - use the 'Y' connector that
you got with your SteppIR at the K3, and connect the cable to the
Navigator to one side of the Y and the SteppIR controller to the other
side of the Y.  Mechanical stuff is complete, all the rest is software
applications - it should work.

Note, the other part of the Navigator provides an external soundcard
function - that has nothing to do with the Navigator USB to RS-232
conversion - keep the two separate in your mind.

On 2/24/2012 8:01 PM, James Meade wrote:

> The K3 is connected to the Navigator and the KPA500 via the ACC port
> which is a 15 pin D.  KPA500 RS232 port is unused.  This is per the
> KPA500 Owners manual.  K3 is connected to PC via the RS232 port.  This
> leaves no place to plug in the SteppIRR, which has 9 pin D plugs.  I'm
> still confused.
>
> Jim NO0B
>
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:19:06 -0600, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> Remove the RS-232 cable to the KPA500 - it needs to be on a port that
>> is different (or not connected at the same time) from that used by
>> the K3.  The KPA500 port is only used for firmware updates.
>>
>> In fact, since the KPA500 and the K3 both contain RS-232 drivers,
>> they will get confused and not work properly if connected together.
>> RS-232 is point to point only, no daisy chaining.
>>
>> Plug the SteppIR cable into the Y that connects to the K3.  The
>> SteppIR has only receivers and just listens on the conversation
>> between the computer Navigator) and the K3 - that is OK since no
>> drivers are involved.

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

Rick Tavan N6XI
Don's suggestion will get the SteppIR controller tracking K3 frequency.
I've done it. But I abandoned the idea because every time I crossed a
segment boundary (every 25 or 50 KHz?), the SteppIR would briefly retune,
generating a bit of RFI and suspending my amp until done. I found that
annoying and went back to the band buttons. Now the SteppIR only retunes
when I want it to.

/Rick N6XI

--
Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

I just discovered that I used the term "drivers" in my response.  That
can be ambiguous in today's world.
I was using "driver" to designate a hardware device that would "drive"
an RS-232 signal line.
My use has nothing to do with software drivers that may or may not be
associated with RS-232 devices connected to the computer.

I hope I did not confuse anyone.

On 2/24/2012 5:19 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Remove the RS-232 cable to the KPA500 - it needs to be on a port that is
> different (or not connected at the same time) from that used by the K3.
> The KPA500 port is only used for firmware updates.
>
> In fact, since the KPA500 and the K3 both contain RS-232 drivers, they
> will get confused and not work properly if connected together.  RS-232
> is point to point only, no daisy chaining.
>
> Plug the SteppIR cable into the Y that connects to the K3.  The SteppIR
> has only receivers and just listens on the conversation between the
> computer Navigator) and the K3 - that is OK since no drivers are involved.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 2/24/2012 4:56 PM, James Meade wrote:
>> What cabling and settings are needed to connect a Windows 7 Pro computer
>> to the K3, a SteppIRR antenna controller and a U.S. Navigator so they all
>> talk to each other?  I'm running an RS232 cable from the PC to the K3, the
>> aux cable from the K3 to the KPA500, and a Y RS232 cable from the K3 with
>> one leg to the Navigator and one to the KPA500.  How does the SteppIRR get
>> involved?
>> Thanks,
>> Jim NO0B

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

James Meade
Thanks to Don and David, who called me on the phone and got my head
straight.  I need to get an RS232 Y to make it all work.  The one I have
has posts on the male end that act as standoffs and won't let it connect
to the K3. Don's post and David's phone coaching got the rest of the
cables right. My face is red but my appreciation is full.

Jim NO0B

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

Don Wilhelm-4
Jim,

No need for a red face, this stuff is not easy, so if you are not
informed about RS-232 "stuff", it can be confusing.  Those of us who are
informed are here to help with the education of the entire Elecraft ham
community.

As far as your standoffs are concerned, try removing those from the
connector - even if you end up with a bare connector without screws, you
can use it for a while just by plugging it in.  If you have 1/4 inch
long 4-40 screws around your workbench, you can permanently affix the
"Y" cable to your K3 using two of those screws.

On 2/24/2012 10:43 PM, James Meade wrote:

> Thanks to Don and David, who called me on the phone and got my head
> straight.  I need to get an RS232 Y to make it all work.  The one I
> have has posts on the male end that act as standoffs and won't let it
> connect to the K3. Don's post and David's phone coaching got the rest
> of the cables right. My face is red but my appreciation is full.
>
> Jim NO0B

Re: K3, KPA500, StepIRR, Navigator, PC cabling

Jorge Patino
The navigator provides an RS-232 port for the K3 and an additional RS-232 port that can control whatever you want. I use mine for rotor control but it can be used for the SteppIR controller. No Y cable needed.

Jorge