K3/KPA500

alsopb
I wonder if anybody else is observing this.

The first few CW characters do not develop full power as indicated by
the LED power displays.

My gut feeling is that LED power displays should be fast enough to
capture the "true" power for even the first couple characters.

Switching to the PK HOLD option doesn't show this even for a single dit.

Some time constants are evidently built into the metering.

I wonder if Elecraft has built in time constants to confirm to the old
FCC specs for meters which are intended to read PEP power?

I do wish the K3 FSK output powers for the two frequencies would be
equalized one of these days.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: K3/KPA500

Ken Wagner K3IU
Hi Brian:

Just want to give you a datapoint regarding your comment
about different power output for the 2 FSK frequencies. I
just tested my K3 (#202) using a jumper across the FSK input
on the ACC connector and using my Diamond SX-200 power meter
I can not see any difference in power at all on the two
frequencies. I checked at low power (5W), mid power (60 W)
and 100W. The needle on the meter doesn't move when I key
the FSK input.

It is not my intent to start an argument about this, but
just thought you might want to know my observations.

73, Ken K3IU
On 3/7/2012 8:34 AM, Brian Alsop wrote:

> I wonder if anybody else is observing this.
>
> The first few CW characters do not develop full power as indicated by
> the LED power displays.
>
> My gut feeling is that LED power displays should be fast enough to
> capture the "true" power for even the first couple characters.
>
> Switching to the PK HOLD option doesn't show this even for a single dit.
>
> Some time constants are evidently built into the metering.
>
> I wonder if Elecraft has built in time constants to confirm to the old
> FCC specs for meters which are intended to read PEP power?
>
> I do wish the K3 FSK output powers for the two frequencies would be
> equalized one of these days.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: K3/KPA500 (now FSK tone imbalance)

Mark n2qt
I was also one of the 'unequal fsk tone' reporters.  However, with
the arrival of a W2 I also confirmed that the two tones are set to
the same level as determined by measuring each tone separately
(and statically).

Therefore I've concluded the flickering power output when running
diddles on rtty must be caused by transients in the tone to tone
switching (ie non zero crossing switching or the like)

Mark n2qt