K3 New fw loader

Re: K3 New fw loader

ON4WIX
Mine is s/n 192, received it as a kit in January 2008. No problem here.

73
Glenn ON4WIX

K3 audio burst on turn-on

Alan Slusher-2
Please accept my apologies for asking a question that may have been dealt
with before.

My K3 (running version 3.06 software) gives a loud, short, sharp audio burst
on turn-on. The sound doesn't seem to last longer than about a half-second,
but it is loud. This happens even if the audio gain is turned right down.  I
don't recall this happening running software version 2.78, which was the
last version I had loaded. The rig works normally immediately after the
sound disappears.

Anything I can do to get rid of this noise (apart from giving away the rig,
of course)?

Cheers,

Alan  V31FA

Re: K3 New fw loader

OK, that shoots down my theory that it is manufacturing date related.
Well, *maybe*, we now have a sample of 2 that do not fail, and several
that do.  Not really enough for valid conclusions   Results to be seen,
but at least there are several K3s that a fix can be tested on.

ON4WIX wrote:
> Mine is s/n 192, received it as a kit in January 2008. No problem here.
>
> 73
> Glenn ON4WIX

Re: K3 audio burst on turn-on

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Reload firmware but be sure you have checked "Always load
DSP data tables"    The noise burst seems to be an initialization
issue due to a mismatch between data tables and DSP version.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

Pete Connors F5VNB
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: K3 New fw loader

N2TK

Played with both K3's. Using the new loader, if I go back to 3.01 or below I
do not have the problem with either rig. If I step forward I get the problem
with 3.03. I also tried 3.04, 3.05, 3.06, 3.08, 3.09 and 3.10. All versions
exhibit the power on problem changing the data mode to DATA A if I shut down
the K3 in either CW or SSB mode. I did not try any other mode. I did not try
any of  this with the old loader.

73,
N2TK, Tony

> Perhaps if we knew which S/N's are involved that might also
> help unravel what's going on.
>
> Mine is #1129.  Another reported his #980 had it.   W3FPR is
> seeing it also.  I believe he has an even older K3.

I don't understand it either ... I've been TRYING to duplicate
the symptoms and can't make the rig come up in anything except
FSK D when that's where it was set.  S/N is 622 but I've heard
of "failures" with both higher and lower s/n.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Don,

> OK, that shoots down my theory that it is manufacturing date
> related.  Well, *maybe*, we now have a sample of 2 that do
> not fail, and several that do.

Here's one more data point ... I deleted all of the old files
from the firmware directory in the K3 Utility, extracted the
MCU 2.67/DSP 1.96 package and uploaded it to K3 S/N 1450.  The
"failure" disappeared after reloading MCU 2.67, DISP 1.96 and
FPF 0.02.  I then stepped through MCU 2.78/DSP 1.98 and MCU
2.97/DSP 2.02 which also worked fine.

When I reached MCU 3.03/DSP 2.10 the "failure" reappeared.

Stepping back to MCU 2.97/DSP 2.02 restored normal operation
and installing ONLY MCU 3.03 with DSP 2.02 generated the
problem.

It looks like there is a subtle bug introduced in MCU 3.03
(between 2.99 and 3.03) but I don't understand why my older
K3 does not display the same failure.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 audio burst on turn-on

Alan Slusher-2
Joe:

Thank you very much.
I followed your suggestion, and it worked perfectly.

Cheers,

Alan  V31FA