K3 Operating Tip: Using TX TEST to adjust speech controls and ALC level

K3 Operating Tip: Using TX TEST to adjust speech controls and ALC level

wayne burdick
Administrator
The K3 provides a way to adjust speech controls and ALC level off-air.

(Technical note: The reason this is possible is that the K3's fast ALC
is established in the DSP. This means the K3's first-I.F. crystal
filters can be used in TX mode to ensure that dynamic ALC responses
are band-limited. This prevents the kind of splatter often heard from
rigs that apply fast ALC in hardware, after the crystal filter. This
technique also allows the DSP to provide very effective, very clean
speech compression.)

To adjust speech controls off-air:

1. Hold TX TEST (right end of the MODE switch). The "TX" icon on the
LCD will flash slowly as a reminder that you're not actually
transmitting.

2. Switch to CMP/ALC metering by holding METER. Temporarily set the
CMP control to zero.

3. While talking into the mic, adjust the MIC level so you peak around
5-7 bars on the ALC meter during normal speech. After that you can
optionally add compression (CMP).

4. To return to normal operation, hold TX TEST again, and make sure
the "TX" icon is no longer flashing. You should now be able to set PWR
to any desired level without impacting your speech settings.

If you'd like to lock the CMP, MIC, and PWR level settings (perhaps to
avoid having your 6-year-old tweak them, like mine does), locate the
PWR SET menu entry (CONFIG menu) and tap 1 to LOCK. You'll then see
"LOCKED" whenever any of these three controls is rotated.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: K3 Operating Tip: Using TX TEST to adjust speech controls and ALC level

MaverickNH
I'm trying this on my K3s, which appears to have the same capability.

I have Heil ProSet K2/K3 headphones installed and configured as instructed (1/8" plug to gray AD-1-K adapter jack and 1/4" plug to K3s PHONES jack, with adapter plugged to K3s MIC, and menu MIC SEL set to FP.L bI AS on.

With MIC Gain set to 23, I see red TX LED light continuously as I speak, in normal TX mode. With TX TEST selected, the red LED does not slowly blink, and I can see the ALC meter register 5-6 bars, but hear nothing through my headphones.

No doubt I am missing a setting, eh? I appreciate the help!

Re: K3 Operating Tip: Using TX TEST to adjust speech controls and ALC level

Don Wilhelm
Bret,

You have to adjust the MON setting to hear your audio through your
headphones.
Is MON set to zero?  Hold the CMP/PWR knob to get to the MON setting.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 Operating Tip: Using TX TEST to adjust speech controls and ALC level

MaverickNH
Hey Don - that was the missing setting indeed! The K3s isn't your Father's transceiver, for sure. In fact, my FT-897D is sitting on the floor waiting to be re-purposed.

The red LED doesn't blink in TX TEST still...I saw some controversy about that on the forum, so maybe the blinking is disabled by default, if not permanently.

73s, BRET/KC1CJN

Re: K3 Operating Tip: Using TX TEST to adjust speech controls and ALC level

Nr4c
If you're referencing the RED TX lED, it only lights up when actually transmitting, not in TEST mode.

…billc nr4c

> On Jul 31, 2016, at 3:33 PM, MaverickNH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Don - that was the missing setting indeed! The K3s isn't your Father's
> transceiver, for sure. In fact, my FT-897D is sitting on the floor waiting
> to be re-purposed.
>
> The red LED doesn't blink in TX TEST still...I saw some controversy about
> that on the forum, so maybe the blinking is disabled by default, if not
> permanently.
>
> 73s, BRET/KC1CJN

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 Operating Tip: Using TX TEST to adjust speech controls and ALC level

Don Wilhelm
Bret,

The TX LED never did blink during TX TEST,
What blinks is the "TX" icon on the LCD - to the right of the display.

I guess someone mixed up LED and LCD in some posting in the past.