K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Gary K9GS
I've always wanted an accessory tuning knob.  A good friend just bought
a K3 to replace his Orion II and the ONE thing he mentions all the time
that he misses is the lack of a remote tuning knob like he had on his Orion.

Which got me to thinking....

With the introduction of the P3SVGA option board wouldn't it be great to
have a remote tuning knob that works with both the K3 AND the P3?

Something wireless, maybe Bluetooth, that could be located next to the
keyboard would be really cool.  Then someone could design an Android app
too .......

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Look up K-Tune by G4ILO.  Julian has not done any development on it for
a while - and probably won't - but the basics are applicable to either
the  Griffin or Shuttle knobs.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 3/31/2012 3:58 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:

> I've always wanted an accessory tuning knob.  A good friend just bought
> a K3 to replace his Orion II and the ONE thing he mentions all the time
> that he misses is the lack of a remote tuning knob like he had on his Orion.
>
> Which got me to thinking....
>
> With the introduction of the P3SVGA option board wouldn't it be great to
> have a remote tuning knob that works with both the K3 AND the P3?
>
> Something wireless, maybe Bluetooth, that could be located next to the
> keyboard would be really cool.  Then someone could design an Android app
> too .......

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Gary K9GS
Hello Joe,

Yes, I've seen that.  It seems like there is a lot of functionality left
on the table.  I was thinking some Elecraft engineering brain-power is
what's needed.

> Look up K-Tune by G4ILO.  Julian has not done any development on it for
> a while - and probably won't - but the basics are applicable to either
> the  Griffin or Shuttle knobs.
>
> 73,
>
>      ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 3/31/2012 3:58 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
>> I've always wanted an accessory tuning knob.  A good friend just bought
>> a K3 to replace his Orion II and the ONE thing he mentions all the time
>> that he misses is the lack of a remote tuning knob like he had on his Orion.
>>
>> Which got me to thinking....
>>
>> With the introduction of the P3SVGA option board wouldn't it be great to
>> have a remote tuning knob that works with both the K3 AND the P3?
>>
>> Something wireless, maybe Bluetooth, that could be located next to the
>> keyboard would be really cool.  Then someone could design an Android app
>> too .......

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Rick Prather-2
Yes Gary,

I agree with him.

I have been suggesting for years that Elecraft do a blatant copy of the Ten-Tec knob complete with keypad and perhaps function keys that could be set with macros.

I loved using it with my Omni's and still miss it.

Maybe someday they will surprise us!

Rick
K6LE

On 3/31/2012, at 12:58 , Gary K9GS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've always wanted an accessory tuning knob.  A good friend just bought
> a K3 to replace his Orion II and the ONE thing he mentions all the time
> that he misses is the lack of a remote tuning knob like he had on his Orion.
>
> Which got me to thinking....
>
> With the introduction of the P3SVGA option board wouldn't it be great to
> have a remote tuning knob that works with both the K3 AND the P3?
>
> Something wireless, maybe Bluetooth, that could be located next to the
> keyboard would be really cool.  Then someone could design an Android app
> too .......

> Gary K9GS

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Doug Smith [W7KF]
Yes!!

I've been reading this list because I'm contemplating switching from an
Omni-VII to a K-Line.  But, I love the way my station is set-up with the
rig up on a riser so I can look straight at it and the remote tuning
knob and keypad on the desk where I can reach it.

Pic at: http://www.w7kf.com/Articles/Rigs/Drake.html

I'm having a tough time figuring out how to fully duplicate that setup
with the K-Line.

That said, the K-Line would look spectacular sitting there above the
Drake 4-Line..

73,
-Doug, W7KF

On 03/31/2012 01:58 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
> I've always wanted an accessory tuning knob.  A good friend just bought
> a K3 to replace his Orion II and the ONE thing he mentions all the time
> that he misses is the lack of a remote tuning knob like he had on his Orion.

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Scott Manthe-2
A remote tuning knob with a keypad could also be a solution for the band
stacking issue.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 3/31/12 5:38 PM, Rick Prather wrote:

> Yes Gary,
>
> I agree with him.
>
> I have been suggesting for years that Elecraft do a blatant copy of the Ten-Tec knob complete with keypad and perhaps function keys that could be set with macros.
>
> I loved using it with my Omni's and still miss it.
>
> Maybe someday they will surprise us!
>

> Rick
> K6LE

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Tony Estep
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Scott Manthe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A remote tuning knob with a keypad...
===========
There's a cool example of ham ingenuity to be found at:
http://www.dh1tw.de/powersdr-ui

Tobias, DH1TW, tackled the problem that a screen-only SDR interface is
a poor way to operate a radio for DXing  and/or contesting. He had the
inspiration that an excellent tuning device would be the Hercules MP3
DJ interface. It turns out to be perfect for the job, with two big and
very smooth tuning knobs, plus sliders and buttons galore. The PSDR
program itself is (sort-of) open source, but the Hercules drivers
aren't, so he hit upon the diabolically ingenious solution of having
PSDR communicate with the Herc via Midi signals. When I was going
through my Flex phase, I used this interface and loved it. It would
make a super-cool tuning knob for any radio.

Tony KT0NY

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Gary K9GS
I just KNOW the team at Elecraft will come out with something really
cool too with some "why didn't I think of that?" thrown in.

What say Wayne & Eric?

On 4/1/2012 12:25 PM, Doug Smith wrote:

> Yes!!
>
> I've been reading this list because I'm contemplating switching from an
> Omni-VII to a K-Line.  But, I love the way my station is set-up with the
> rig up on a riser so I can look straight at it and the remote tuning
> knob and keypad on the desk where I can reach it.
>
> Pic at: http://www.w7kf.com/Articles/Rigs/Drake.html
>
> I'm having a tough time figuring out how to fully duplicate that setup
> with the K-Line.
>
> That said, the K-Line would look spectacular sitting there above the
> Drake 4-Line..
>
> 73,
> -Doug, W7KF
>

> On 03/31/2012 01:58 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
>> I've always wanted an accessory tuning knob.  A good friend just bought
>> a K3 to replace his Orion II and the ONE thing he mentions all the time
>> that he misses is the lack of a remote tuning knob like he had on his Orion.

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Gary K9GS
I've seen this.  The problem is it's so big.

Ideally the K3RTI (K3 Remote Tuning Interface)  will be small enough to
place beside the keyboard.  I like an uncluttered desktop with a minimum
of hand movements.

On 4/2/2012 10:50 AM, Tony Estep wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Scott Manthe<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> A remote tuning knob with a keypad...
> ===========
> There's a cool example of ham ingenuity to be found at:
> http://www.dh1tw.de/powersdr-ui
>
> Tobias, DH1TW, tackled the problem that a screen-only SDR interface is
> a poor way to operate a radio for DXing  and/or contesting. He had the
> inspiration that an excellent tuning device would be the Hercules MP3
> DJ interface. It turns out to be perfect for the job, with two big and
> very smooth tuning knobs, plus sliders and buttons galore. The PSDR
> program itself is (sort-of) open source, but the Hercules drivers
> aren't, so he hit upon the diabolically ingenious solution of having
> PSDR communicate with the Herc via Midi signals. When I was going
> through my Flex phase, I used this interface and loved it. It would
> make a super-cool tuning knob for any radio.
>
> Tony KT0NY

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: K3/P3 Accessory Idea?

Lu Romero - W4LT
See this Keyboard:

http://www.bella-usa.com/dv/

I've posted this here before. Great keyboard ergonomics.
Built in palm rest. great rebound, FB feel.  I use it all
day and no carpal tunnel fatigue. Made for daily use by
video professionals.

Works right now, today, using N1MM Contest Logger and is
stupidly easy to program with a GUI app that comes with the
keyboard.  The knob can be programmed to do both VFO and
RIT. N1MM Automatically switches the wheel from one to the
other depending on if you're doing S&P or Running. The
little buttons atop the jog/shuttle wheel are set as F11
(Wipe QSO) and F12 (Clearrit) in my contest key macro
settings. The buttons on the top can be programmed with
logger keystroke macros.  M7 sets split, M8 clears split,
the |<< button takes me up one spot on the bandmap and the
>>| button takes me down one spot on the bandmap.  Very
handy.

Of course, you can set all of the buttons to do any macro or
keyboard function you want, these are the ones I use here.
I've been using one in contests for over three years, no
issues. Hardly ever touch the radio anymore.

AAMOF, Im typing this message on the one I have at work on a
Mac Pro for video editing.  I also use a trackball with it,
the track ball (Logitek Marble Mouse USB) plugs into a USB
port on the keyboard (it has two). The other one has a USB
light bar I found in and electronic store in Singapore for
$1. (I dont like the Bella light, too small).

Works wonderfully on both PC and Mac.

-lu-w4lt
K1/K3/P3

Message: 14