K3: Relay noise?

Re: RE: K3: Relay noise?

P.B. Christensen
I recently ran into a similar issue when interfacing an Ameitron QSK-5, K3,
and SPE 1K amplifier.  Regardless of power through the QSK-5, it produces an
audible "tick" when keying.  Yes, there are two relays inside the QSK-5
unit, but neither is the cause.

It turns out that the QSK-5's PIN diodes are being biased with moderately
high voltage. The ticking sound follows the application of diode bias.  I
could swear it was the input signaling relay when I tried to localize the
sound.  Only, the PCB is functioning as an acoustical sound board (akin to a
piano or violin), amplifying the "tick" produced by the biasing of the PIN
diodes.   I still don't know the exact ticking mechanism.

I've heard similar effects when using high-voltage transistors.  Anyone who
has worked extensively with these transistors or high-power PIN diodes care
to add an explanation?

Paul, W9AC

Re: RE: K3: Relay noise?

Steve Ellington
Interestingly you can hear the tick even when in TEST mode. Fortunately it's
hard to hear above the sidetone. I ordered the new DSP board so while I've
got the covers off I'll dig around for the noise again. I need something
better than tubing in the ear.
Steve
N4LQ
[hidden email]
>I recently ran into a similar issue when interfacing an Ameitron QSK-5, K3,
> and SPE 1K amplifier.  Regardless of power through the QSK-5, it produces
> an
> audible "tick" when keying.  Yes, there are two relays inside the QSK-5
> unit, but neither is the cause.
>
> It turns out that the QSK-5's PIN diodes are being biased with moderately
> high voltage. The ticking sound follows the application of diode bias.  I
> could swear it was the input signaling relay when I tried to localize the
> sound.  Only, the PCB is functioning as an acoustical sound board (akin to
> piano or violin), amplifying the "tick" produced by the biasing of the PIN
> diodes.   I still don't know the exact ticking mechanism.
>
> I've heard similar effects when using high-voltage transistors.  Anyone
> who
> has worked extensively with these transistors or high-power PIN diodes
> care
> to add an explanation?
>
> Paul, W9AC

02:36:00

Re: RE: K3: Relay noise?

Joe Planisky
Remember that some multi-layer ceramic capacitors can make noise
("sing") due to piezoelectric effects.  Kemet has a short article (as
a PDF document) explaining the phenomenon at

http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kfbk3.nsf/vaFeedbackFAQ/0EA15565AFC16E668525722500594468/$file/2006%2007%20ArrowAsiaTimes%20-%20MLC%20Noise.pdf

and a longer, more technical paper here:

http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kfbk3.nsf/vaFeedbackFAQ/118EBDDDFA5D532C852572BF0046B776/$file/2007%20CARTS%20-%20Reduced%20Microphonics%20and%20Sound%20Emissions.pdf

Or search for "singing capacitors" on your favorite search engine.

Joe KB8AP

On Dec 9, 2009, at 9:40 PM, AC7JW wrote:

> I could understand some sort of residual magnetic effect (for lack
> of a better
> term) causing some mechanical movement to create the noise if it was
> only
> present while running high power, in which case high currents are
> present,
> and thus the potential for a powerful magnetic field. But at 1 watt-
> there
> is something else going on.

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Nolan Kienitz
Talk about dredging up some history ... from 2009??!!

I've read through this thread and a few others and have not found upon any
solid answers that was posed by the OP.

My K3 (S/N: 9013, Assembled: 05/10/15) started having the very faint key
clicks late yesterday afternoon. As noted in the thread they seem to come
from the top, right-rear of the K3.  I've not yet taken the cover off and
put a "tube" to my ear to narrow down source.

When I first turned on my K3 today I did not hear the clicks, but after I
was in the mist of a QSO they became 'hearable'.  Still very faint.

Rig is basic with 100w feeding a dipole. No sub-receiver. No receive antenna
in use.

If anyone has any thoughts about the very soft 'relay click' when operating
CW I'd appreciate the input.

BTW - same response with my single-lever paddle or straight key.  Same
response if I'm feeding my dipole or a dummy load on Ant-2.  Do NOT hear the
'relay click' when it TEST mode.

-----
73  -  Nolan Kienitz,  KI5IO
--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

Message delivered to [hidden email]
73  -  Nolan Kienitz,  KI5IO

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Wes Stewart-2
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA500-clicking-td7596512.html

Read carefully to avoid the "you don't know what you're talking about" comments.

Wes  N7WS

On 12/15/2019 11:52 AM, Nolan Kienitz wrote:

> Talk about dredging up some history ... from 2009??!!
>
> I've read through this thread and a few others and have not found upon any
> solid answers that was posed by the OP.
>
> My K3 (S/N: 9013, Assembled: 05/10/15) started having the very faint key
> clicks late yesterday afternoon. As noted in the thread they seem to come
> from the top, right-rear of the K3.  I've not yet taken the cover off and
> put a "tube" to my ear to narrow down source.
>
> When I first turned on my K3 today I did not hear the clicks, but after I
> was in the mist of a QSO they became 'hearable'.  Still very faint.
>
> Rig is basic with 100w feeding a dipole. No sub-receiver. No receive antenna
> in use.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts about the very soft 'relay click' when operating
> CW I'd appreciate the input.
>
> BTW - same response with my single-lever paddle or straight key.  Same
> response if I'm feeding my dipole or a dummy load on Ant-2.  Do NOT hear the
> 'relay click' when it TEST mode.
>

> -----
> 73  -  Nolan Kienitz,  KI5IO

Message delivered to [hidden email]